Do you have a setup routine?

russtopher

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Band
One thing I'm working on this offseason is getting into a proper stance & setup, and I know a lot of people have a set routine they follow on every shot. A good friend has a very specific routine he does before every shot, and it shows in his single digit handicap. I, on the other hand, have always been a "look at the target from behind the ball then let 'er rip" player... which also shows in MY handicap!

So if you have a routine, how did you come about it, does it involve your target line and posture? Did you see an immediate improvement in your ballstriking and scoring? Do you vary your routine based on the round and conditions?

I go with the fast and let it rip routine.

For me it's one practice swing and take the shot. One routine that I need to be better at would be with putting.

I go with the fast and let it rip routine.
Unconscious Aggressive swinging...I like it JB!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Kinda do...like at least 1 practice swing will take a 2nd if the first one feels awful

My practice routine is to stand behind the ball and visualize a shot. Take two practice swings. Step into the ball right foot first then left. Look twice...little press of the hands and go. I found out I play way better with a routine. Helps me forget about my swing and just play golf!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have a routine but i think the most important factor is alignment. I think the setup routine helps with calming my nerves.

I have a routine but i think the most important factor is alignment. I think the setup routine helps with calming my nerves.

Good call Alex and alignment is something else the setup routine helps me address as well. My pro has pointed out that when I get lazy I tend to set up with my shoulders wide open, so getting into a solid posture & alignment is part of why I'm working on coming up with a routine that gets me ready to go.

interesting thread!

I know that an inconsistent setup is one of ym biggest flaws, this season, I will be working on setting up a quick routine that will help me get more consistent, I am open to suggestions

Take in all factors as I approach the ball (lie,possible stance, wind,eye) pick my target, take a practice swing, get my intermediate target and setup to that then swing

I will stand behind the ball, line it up with where I want to go and pick a spot a couple feet in front of the ball. One practice swing, then aim at the spot I chose.

I stand directly behind the ball, focus on my target, step into the ball while looking at said target, one waggle, and GO.

That all takes about 4 seconds TOPS.

Stand behind the ball and visualize shot, pick target. Step into ball aligning clubface first before taking my stance. Last part has helped me make improvements in accuracy.

Mine is depending on situation,but regular play I mostly just hit. In competition I implement one

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I have a setup routine, and in my head it's pretty complex, it doesn't take long but it's pretty consistent. If I take practice swings it's not a part of my routine. My routine only provides value mentally, mostly just to calm my nerves.

I take a practice swing and if it feels good I gear up and go. If it does not feel good I try 2 more and then gear up and let it go.

Do you have a setup routine?

I do. I find my line from behind the ball then find a target on that line within 2 feet of the ball. Then I move to my setup. I place the club next to the ball, not behind it, and get my hands set and a wide stance with the club shaft is in line with my center of gravity. Then I bring my front leg back some to narrow the stance. Since I usually pull the ball I find that target and set my line right of the target line. Then I swing.

I have gotten away from a practice swing most times and once I find that short target I don't look at the hole again.

It sounds like a lot but only takes a few seconds to do. The end result has been a comfortable and repeated swing and ball flight that I can plan for most times. Really happy with this routine.

I'll grab a target line, down line from my ball using my club shaft, then set the clubface to that target and then align my feet parallel to that line, three little waggles and go. Total time, less than 30 seconds usually.

I have a routine and as taught a routine when I first started playing. It has changed over the years but I have always had a routine.

Yes, I do and it is fairly quick, not fast.

I will stand behind the ball, line it up with where I want to go and pick a spot a couple feet in front of the ball. One practice swing, then aim at the spot I chose.

Mine is very similar to this one and it's the same for every shot. I only take one swing though regardless.

I take a couple of easy practice swings behind and perpendicular to the ball facing down the fairway. I pick a spot a few yards in front of the ball as an aim point. I set my driver to my aim point while still facing down the fairway. Then I set my feet. The last thing I do is relax my grip. I have a bad habit of strangling the club when I don't think about it.

I have really been working on this. Setup seems big for me because I have had issues with alignment in the past. I stand behind the ball, pick a target then pick a target a few feet in front of the ball. I'll then align the clubface, then my feet and shoulders to that target. I have to commit to this better during each round I seem to start rushing and I don't focus on this as much.

My current preshot routine came from a drill that really helped me eliminate my chicken wing, and transfer my weight. So basically, I stand behind the ball, looking down the target line, and do a 3 o'clock - 6 o'clock swing 2 times, while picturing my shot and target line. Then I line up get into my posture and take a practice swing. If it feels good, I step up and take the shot. If it feels a little off, I take another practice swing and then go. It may sound like a lot, but it's 20 seconds from start to shot.

I do have a routine. I pick an intermediate target to help with aim and alignment and take typically one practice swing. I struggle most with tempo so I try to take a slightly slower practice swing. If the practice swing doesn't feel good I may take 1 or 2 more (but not often). Then I step up and hit the shot. I've been pretty happy with the results.

I need to spend more time on a pre-shot routine for short game because I'm to the point that I'm giving up more shots there than on full shots (finally).

Back