Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

Couple new shafts for me to tinker with and see if it can outperform the lz50 handcrafted. Too bad it's 25° and snow everywhere...
c77fc1febf089b46fc9273051838b7a2.jpg
f48091733ca6451223a67facc8aaaad1.jpg
ff0dec0cd03f3b19cc258ef38f1d80d6.jpg
Will be curious on how that grandura does.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I...... Love this setup. Hzrdus 6.5 and the DBD. I feel like it's hard to miss. Flight is low mid and it loads exactly how I want it to.

So good. Missed one fairway today by about 3 yards. Everything else in the short grass.

I...... Love this setup. Hzrdus 6.5 and the DBD. I feel like it's hard to miss. Flight is low mid and it loads exactly how I want it to.

So good. Missed one fairway today by about 3 yards. Everything else in the short grass.
I knew it!!! Awesome to hear

How do you like it compared to the I/O?

I knew it!!! Awesome to hear

Just absolutely smashing the ball. Contact even sounds better than some of the other shafts I've demoed, suggesting that the timing has improved even slightly. That "mash" sound that is intoxicating.

How do you like it compared to the I/O?

Going to be tough apples to apples because the I/O was in Stiff, and this is in X. Firmer in the HZRDUS, less of a loading sensation, and probably a flatter arc for me. I didn't spend an awful lot of time with the I/O after the review though, as I put it in my '14 Alpha and it's been in my dad's bag ever since.

Going to be tough apples to apples because the I/O was in Stiff, and this is in X. Firmer in the HZRDUS, less of a loading sensation, and probably a flatter arc for me. I didn't spend an awful lot of time with the I/O after the review though, as I put it in my '14 Alpha and it's been in my dad's bag ever since.

Gotcha. Just sounds like we need to spend some time on a course or two this coming spring lol

Gotcha. Just sounds like we need to spend some time on a course or two this coming spring lol

We didn't need a HZRDUS in conversation to agree on that, but I'm down for rounds!!!!

We didn't need a HZRDUS in conversation to agree on that, but I'm down for rounds!!!!

Does the HZRDUS pull your spin numbers down more so than other shaft combo's you've tried, Dan?

Does the HZRDUS pull your spin numbers down more so than other shaft combo's you've tried, Dan?

I don't have spin numbers to reference, unfortunately. And I don't trust the SkyTrak enough to put my numbers on THP.

Hopefully I can get it out to a THP event this year and get some clear numbers on flightscope, but I have found myself on the side of the spectrum that worries a heck of a lot more about how the flight looks in the air than the numbers on the monitors... and this shaft/head combo is doing exactly what I want. Probably even a bit better than the SpeedRulz C-Type was for me.

Last edited:
Which should I game?
Top set grandura 530 stiff
Middle set px lz50 handcrafted 7.0 (current gamer)
Bottom graphite design bb6s
19e85e5c2edd15e10c6c4d566f08b936.jpg
03a29be3f540076c08dda0b3d16e4f03.jpg

My first run with the Oban Hashimoto in the DBD was a success. I loved the feel and the ball flight.

KC, better dispersion with Grandura... And comparable in distance. I say go with that one!
Yes. Definitely winner today!

I would say Grandura also. Carry and ball speed is awesome with it

My first run with the Oban Hashimoto in the DBD was a success. I loved the feel and the ball flight.

I'm interested in your thoughts. I love my combo and I'm writing up some thoughts, but curious as you have a faster SS and transition.

Which should I game?
Top set grandura 530 stiff
Middle set px lz50 handcrafted 7.0 (current gamer)
Bottom graphite design bb6s
19e85e5c2edd15e10c6c4d566f08b936.jpg
03a29be3f540076c08dda0b3d16e4f03.jpg

Grandura bro, no brainer

Did you have to bring down the loft at all?

Did you have to bring down the loft at all?

No, but I struggle with delofting the head at impact so launch is always an issue for me on bad swings.

No, but I struggle with delofting the head at impact so launch is always an issue for me on bad swings.

Gotcha. Makes sense. Which flex Hashimoto did you get?

Gotcha. Makes sense. Which flex Hashimoto did you get?

04, harvmp28 sent me his to demo for a bit while he is restricted from using driver at his home course.

I spent some time on a Foresight G2C+HMT yesterday and hit this driver a whole bunch. One thing I was amazed at, I have the weight in the heel and up. I was consistently out towards the toe, but still see some more than acceptable numbers.

I just got one of these heads in 10.5 (still coming I should say) From looking at the review on Rick Shiels with his 13 handicapper, even lower swing speed guys would be ok with this if they hit the middle reasonably frequently. His good shots were as long as anything. Seems a lot were frightened off this, at least the beginning of this thread indicated it. Any sub 100 mph driver guys playing this?

I keep wondering away from this driver and always come back to it. Great feeling long driver when hit in the screws.

Back