The Car Shopping Thread

Bought a 2016 Odyssey. It was what the wife wanted, we'll never need anything bigger, and the payments are tolerable. Pictures eventually.
We have a 2014, and we love it. Lease is up in November, and will probably go back to a Pilot or something now that we dont need the van as much.

We thought about leasing, but given that we will probably be living in a different state in a couple years, and possibly in another country, we decided to just buy it. We don't want to end up running into the mileage cap, which is a distinct possibility depending on where we land.

We thought about leasing, but given that we will probably be living in a different state in a couple years, and possibly in another country, we decided to just buy it. We don't want to end up running into the mileage cap, which is a distinct possibility depending on where we land.
I hear that. The Mrs doesnt drive a TON, so mileage for us wasnt a concern.

I've got my fingers crossed we'll go from here to north Georgia, either Savannah or Augusta. If we end up there, we're right in that 8 hour range for a drive back to see my family, which means we'll make it pretty often. If that happens, we'll be putting away mileage like it's nobody's business.

Heck and here my wife is trying to get out of her lease

I've got my fingers crossed we'll go from here to north Georgia, either Savannah or Augusta. If we end up there, we're right in that 8 hour range for a drive back to see my family, which means we'll make it pretty often. If that happens, we'll be putting away mileage like it's nobody's business.
No doubt, for you, better to buy.

Have a co-worker who's looking at a low mileage lease on either a Ford Escape Titanium or Lincoln MKC.
Come to find out, the MKC is about $25 to $30 cheaper per month, equally equipped.

Crazy huh? Just have to do your homework.

Last edited:
Bought a 2016 Odyssey. It was what the wife wanted, we'll never need anything bigger, and the payments are tolerable. Pictures eventually.

Let me know your thoughts. My wife has been looking at them for awhile now.

Have a co-worker who's looking at a low mileage lease on either a Ford Escape Titanium or Lincoln MKC.
Come to find out, the MKC is about $25 to $30 cheaper per month, equally equipped.

Crazy huh? Just have to do your homework.

With what down/deposit though?

That's just the residual and difference in lease rate between the two. Here in Kansas, all you (he) has to put down is first payment, state taxes on rebates and minor state filing fee.

Holy Crap, never thought I would say this but I just saw the pic's of the 2017 Lincoln Continental and that is one cool looking car. Unfortunately for Detroit the new E Class is also cool and that is what I'll be buying!

Holy Crap, never thought I would say this but I just saw the pic's of the 2017 Lincoln Continental and that is one cool looking car. Unfortunately for Detroit the new E Class is also cool and that is what I'll be buying!

Come on, Man...that Continental paired with the twin-turbocharged, 3.0-liter V6 that will produce up to 400 horsepower is going to be a beast! Plus, it might cost less and could get your oil changed more affordably than the E Class.

Come on, Man...that Continental paired with the twin-turbocharged, 3.0-liter V6 that will produce up to 400 horsepower is going to be a beast! Plus, it might cost less and could get your oil changed more affordably than the E Class.

I'll defer to others to be a pioneer on this one. In the meantime I'll continue to hang out with my German friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure this is the correct thread...

Anyone know options for trying to get out of a lease a year early!

I'll defer to others to be a pioneer on this one. In the meantime I'll continue to hang out with my German friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, sooooooo lease the E-Class for 2 years, then get into a 2019 Conti?

Not sure this is the correct thread...

Anyone know options for trying to get out of a lease a year early!

Yes, it's pretty simple really. WELL...for Ford or Lincoln it is.

You just need to take you current monthly payment X the number of payments you have left, and that's what you're required to pay in order to walk away. PLUS, if you have any damage or repairs that need to be covered based on wear and tear from your usage.

It MIGHT be different for other OEM's though. I just know Ford and Lincoln.

Yes, it's pretty simple really. WELL...for Ford or Lincoln it is.

You just need to take you current monthly payment X the number of payments you have left, and that's what your required to pay in order to walk away. PLUS, if you have any damage or repairs that need to be covered based on wear and tear from your usage.

It MIGHT be different for other OEM's though. I just know Ford and Lincoln.

That's sounds like it would be better to just keep it until it's up.

I've read online that you can try to find someone to pick up your lease, but not 100% on the validity of that.

That's sounds like it would be better to just keep it until it's up.

I've read online that you can try to find someone to pick up your lease, but not 100% on the validity of that.

Usually, keeping it works out better in most cases.

You COULD, essentially buy a new vehicle and roll the negative into the new deal, paying off the lease only. (This would NOT be a trade in situation, as you DON'T own the vehicle, it would typically have to go back to the lessor) Though that's not a great position to put yourself in going into a new vehicle. If you have TONS of rebates to cover the negative, it's possible. However, I don't personally recommended doing that.

If someone wants/ is ok with taking over your lease....Yes, you can do that too. It's called a "Transfer of Equity" and would need to be done though the leasing company. There are sometimes some fees involved with that, but if you can find someone to take over your payments and term, it's possible.

I believe JB traded in a lease early last year. My understanding is if there is equity in the vehicle, it can be turned in and you won't owe a dime. If you put a larger amount down there is a higher chance of that being the case.

And those lease trades do happen. Check out swapalease.com and leasetrader.com.

And those new Continentals look really nice. It's nice to see Lincoln trying to get back in the Luxury game.

And those new Continentals look really nice. It's nice to see Lincoln trying to get back in the Luxury game.

As someone who works at a Ford / Lincoln Dealership...I SOOOOO want Lincoln to have a hit (or three) like the Continental will hopefully become. They REALLY need a winner.

Usually, keeping it works out better in most cases.

You COULD, essentially buy a new vehicle and roll the negative into the new deal, paying off the lease only. (This would NOT be a trade in situation, as you DON'T own the vehicle, it would typically have to go back to the lessor) Though that's not a great position to put yourself in going into a new vehicle. If you have TONS of rebates to cover the negative, it's possible. However, I don't personally recommended doing that.

If someone wants/ is ok with taking over your lease....Yes, you can do that too. It's called a "Transfer of Equity" and would need to be done though the leasing company. There are sometimes some fees involved with that, but if you can find someone to take over your payments and term, it's possible.

In this scenario we would not be purchasing another vehicle. My wife's brother pretty much gave my wife his paid off year old Navigator. Was kind of shocked myself when I found out.

So it appears the swaplease.com probably is the best bet.

As someone who works at a Ford / Lincoln Dealership...I SOOOOO want Lincoln to have a hit (or three) like the Continental will hopefully become. They REALLY need a winner.

Yep, they make some decent vehicles now, but its been a long time since they have really competed with the big dogs it seems. It would be cool to see them do well

In this scenario we would not be purchasing another vehicle. My wife's brother pretty much gave my wife his paid off year old Navigator. Was kind of shocked myself when I found out.

So it appears the swaplease.com probably is the best bet.

I would go talk to someone at the dealership. With other makers than Ford I know you can walk away free and clear if there is equity, and if the vehicle is worth less than your buy back value + your owed payments all you would have to pay is the shortfall.

I haven't driven a domestic in 26 years, maybe!

Actually that's not totally true, my wife did have a 96 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer when our oldest came into our world. She went into that from a little Miati! I kept my M3

Back