Real Deal Tour Shafts Vs OEM Made For...Can you tell the difference...How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to the Aldila Rogue they are made in Taiwan and USA, many players are opting for the USA model...here is a snip of info from another site

I spoke with my swing coach who has an account with Aldila and he has confirmed that the shafts that are ordered through dealers are a batch that is produced in Vietnam and the graphics are put on here in the US, the actual "Made in US" etched models are indeed made in the US. So there you have it.

My Aldila Rogue o/i 70x 110msi from Callaway tested had a butt sticker made in Taiwan, it was far from radial consistent...

So here is a question for you. THP is at an OEM today and openly taking questions from THPers to ask the OEM and get honest answers. Here is a chance for you to ask one of the many questions that you are posting in this thread directly from the source that you would apparently prefer to petition. For some reason you haven't even looked in that thread or asked a question. Why?

I totally agree there should be some marking differentiation between "made for" shafts and tour shafts. What I don't agree with is assuming a "made for" shaft is inferior and a lesser shaft. A "made for" shaft might be a better fit for a person's swing and therefore be choice. Different doesn't have to mean inferior. I love the options available to me as a consumer and as long as the club is the best fit for me, I don't care. The club tinkerer in me would like to know just for aftermarket purchases and trading, so I can better choose a profile I want.

The other issue I have is the tone and verbage used to denigrate and poke THP and it's contrinutors...That is uncalled for and undeserving.

I'll say that I've learned a good bit from this thread (at least I think I have). Just another reason why I love this place.

If you are that concerned about your shafts then maybe you should do more background research before you purchase something rather than complaining about what you got on a forum, or purchase a head and shaft separately

I have found it difficult not to say anything as there isn't anything good to say about this thread after reading all of the posts which is a shame because it could have been a very interesting topic for those of us who do not know much about shafts and their different characteristics

Lets stick to the point here...OEM's are selling cheaper made for shafts that look exactly like real deal shafts that PGA tour players play, which cost more money, time, materials, technology, quality control to produce.
I don't believe this is ethical, and in other industries would be illegal, from what I am reading from THP leaders this is acceptable, Its disappointing to me as none of you have frowned on it so far but danced around the issue at hand. This thread was started so knowledgeable golfers could post tips on how to recognize a made for shaft against a real deal ones.

Lets stick to the point here...OEM's are selling cheaper made for shafts that look exactly like real deal shafts that PGA tour players play, which cost more money, time, materials, technology, quality control to produce. I don't believe this is ethical, and in other industries would be illegal, from what I am reading from THP leaders this is acceptable, as none of you have frowned on it so far but danced around the issue at hand. This thread was started so knowledgeable golfers could post tips on how to recognize a made for shaft against a real deal one

Okay, I have stayed out of this for the most part, but I am here now. Stop it. Stop with the accusations and the trolling.
You have been asked countless questions throughout and have ignored them.
Either have a conversation about a relevant topic, or dont, but the constant trolling will not be tolerated on this community.

This will be the last time it is mentioned.

Lets stick to the point here...OEM's are selling cheaper made for shafts that look exactly like real deal shafts that PGA tour players play, which cost more money, time, materials, technology, quality control to produce. I don't believe this is ethical, and in other industries would be illegal, from what I am reading from THP leaders this is acceptable, as none of you have frowned on it so far but danced around the issue at hand. This thread was started so knowledgeable golfers could post tips on how to recognize a made for shaft against a real deal one

And that is your opinion. If you can't handle opposing views to your argument I might suggest more fruitful uses of your time and energy.

There has so far been no discussion from your end. All I've seen from you are a bunch of accusations lobbed half-assed with little to no proof behind them, besides your word and an old video. Bring some actual, proven truths or drop it. And answer the questions posed to you.

Oh, and you have misspellings on your website.

JB do you think this is acceptable the OEM's to sell made for shafts that look the same as real deal shafts?
I am not trolling my own created thread, and can answer questions...just got in from 18.

Okay, I have stayed out of this for the most part, but I am here now. Stop it. Stop with the accusations and the trolling.
You have been asked countless questions throughout and have ignored them.
Either have a conversation about a relevant topic, or dont, but the constant trolling will not be tolerated on this community.

This will be the last time it is mentioned.

I assumed all threads on THP were open for anyone to comment, not only "knowledgeable golfers".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JB do you think this is acceptable the OEM's to sell made for shafts that look the same as real deal shafts?

With your line of reasoning, is it acceptable to sell club heads to the public that don't come from a tour van and are spec'd for weight and COR as those the pros have access to? Is this false advertising when an off the rack Ping G30 isnt the same G30 Bubba Watson plays?

I have NEVER seen an OEM sell a club with a made for shaft and claim it's the same one the professionals use. It may looks similar but most amateur golfers have no idea what a pro plays and I dont think it matters.

Let's just assume for a moment that what you're saying is true. What is the alternative?

Real deal shafts in every single driver and the cost is now $700 for a driver?

Assuming this is true the VAST majority of golfers can't see a performance difference...including numerous sub 5 indexes on this forum that have ZERO issues playing a "made for" shaft.

For those that need "real deal" graphite and spined steel shafts, there are plenty of vendors willing to see you that $400 shaft.

But back to the question, what's your proposed solution for this "problem"?

Let's just assume for a moment that what you're saying is true. What is the alternative?

Assuming this is true the VAST majority of golfers can't see a performance difference...including numerous sub 5 indexes on this forum that have ZERO issues playing a "made for" shaft.

For those that need "real deal" graphite and spined steel shafts, there are plenty of vendors willing to see you that $400 shaft.

I am guessing his solution is for amateurs to stop buying from retail stores and come to him so he can charge for necessities like floing and spining.

Why is there not a place for decent "made for" shafts? Are you saying "everyone" should have access to real deal shafts? We don't all drive Mercedes, for various reasons, but let's just go with the cost discussion. I can't afford a Mercedes that has everything I want in it, but I can afford a Honda that gets a large chunk of what I'm looking for. Is the Honda inherently lower quality or not good enough?

Edit: a better example might be Infiniti and Nissan options, but same thinking applies, save for "clear" branding differentiation, which I'd like to see in shafts.

I would agree with this. If a shaft is a "made for", then include that on the shaft, as Titleist did a few years ago with Diamana shafts. BTW, I hit those pretty well, regardless of them not being the real deal.

Totally agree with this.

I am saying people should know what they are buying, from there they can made a educated decision, or want to try a real deal version

I am guessing his solution is for amateurs to stop buying from retail stores and come to him so he can charge for necessities like floing and spining.

No, please contact a club fitter close to you in your area

No, please contact a club fitter close to you in your area

Golf is expensive enough as it is....and not growing well these days. You're attempting to "fix" a problem that really isn't a problem.

Perhaps you should take your issues to the OEM's since they are offering these watered down versions to consumers....start at the problem to fix the problem.

I am saying people should know what they are buying, from there they can made a educated decision, or want to try a real deal version
Here's where we differ. People know what they are buying, a golf club. I would venture that 90% of the people who go in to a Dicks, PGA SS, or Golf Galaxy dont care what shaft is in the new driver that they just got strong numbers from on the stores LM or Sim. For those that get fit, they get fit mostly to a shaft offered by the OEM and one that when they walk out the door, they know it was fit for them. Going off that, who cares if what they are hitting has 95 MSI, 110 MSI, or 120MSI. They know they are buying an Aldila Rogue, and they know it was for for them.

I would love for DB TT to stop in this thread. That would be fun.

The point is there need to be clear identification of the differences between the made for Vs real deal.
They do NOT play the same, weigh the same.. or even feel the same.

The point is there need to be clear identification of the differences between the made for Vs real deal.

Sure, they are not the same. But they DON"T NEED to be. Made for works fantastic for the vast majority. People aren't getting fit into a driver and playing it with the thought they have a $300 shaft in there that they can go sell.

For those that believe they need something straight from the OEM, there are ample avenues to facilitate that.

Driver manufacturers aren't trying to be deceitful when it comes to shafts contrary to what you think.

Why, though?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The point other people are trying to make is that most people simply DO NOT CARE. The average golfer doesnt give a damn what's marked on the shaft. They go into a store, swing, see certain results and buy the club. They are absolutely happy with that and that's awesome.

I dont think its even that people dont care. I mean they dont. But the actual accusation still hasnt even proven to be true. Are OEMS out lying to the public about what shaft is "really" in a certain club to garner more sales? I dont think they are.

If this is such a hot debatable topic why not test real deal Vs made for at the upcoming THP club clash event?

This way THP'ers can decide if they would like to upgrade when they purchase new, rather than do it twice with a clubfitter, or still have the receipt to return it to the OEM for upgrade

Who would like to try head to head a real deal Vs made for shaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back