Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Anyone have any thoughts about distance control?
Coming from the XRP'S I'm not having any distance issues at all. Very similar, and I expected that. The forgiveness and feel was my primary reason for the switch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well unfortunately our store didn't have the CF16 heads to demo. I guess my patience will be tested for awhile now.
Same here. With all this talk I thought I should go swing a demo just to see what the deal is, but all they had is the first gen apex irons. May try back this weekend as that was 2 weeks ago.

no distance control issues here. I haven't hit them in warmer temps so I am expecting an increase in distance when the weather warms up but not anything that I won't be able to figure out pretty quickly. No fliers out if normal lies.

I need to head to Carls and demo these puppies. Maybe even get a fitting once I get my swing back into shape.

I need to head to Carls and demo these puppies. Maybe even get a fitting once I get my swing back into shape.

Your going to love them. They too the great from Apex and added to it

I have to admit with the last 2 rounds being a bit of a struggle with the APEX pros, the timing / tempo has been off and I have paid the price. I still manage to hit a few really nice ones to keep me interested, but have had the "what if" thoughts about the regular APEX if I had not started with a bad fitting and build with them.

These irons really are just something else.

I played the Apex for a season, the the XRP most of the last one, and for me these take both of those and have made a pretty kick ass baby.

Its hard to gauge my distances at home right now given he temps, I'm shorter than I was I Cali but its also not 87 degrees of awesome. That said, they are playing longer than last version of the Apex and as long as I hit my XRP. What I'm digging most though is still the look with the satin finish (I'm a sicker for satin) and the soubd/feel through the set. They feel really really good.

Your going to love them. They too the great from Apex and added to it

All the feedback from #TheGrandaddy guys and elsewhere in this thread has really got me excited that they did the incredible. Not often do consumers call for something as many did with the Apex with face cup technology and the company deliver as soon as Callaway did.

I saw some launch monitor numbers back a ways in the thread that had 155 carry with 7 iron with a ss of 75 total distance of 170. That is hot! My ss with my 7 is about 86-88 and 90ish when I step on one. I was carrying 165-170 with the j15cb I'm wondering what distance I'm going to see with the cf16 this spring when the weather warms up. Wowsers

Mine are scheduled to be delivered on Thursday. I am pretty excited to say the least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen no issues with distance control at all. In fact I'm loving the fact that the longer irons are gapping well into the top of my bag. The best part is that even though they don't have the cup face in the 8-AW are just as long as my Z545s if not a touch longer.

Of course with any iron depending on the lie you'll catch a flier, but that has nothing to do "hot face" or any of that jazz.

Mine are scheduled to be delivered on Thursday. I am pretty excited to say the least

so a sudden onset of golfluenza Friday?

If nothing comes up, I'm going to Memphis to be fit for these Thursday. In the words of my nieces, I'm totes excited yo.

I haven't had any issues with distance control. They are almost a club longer than my last irons (Apex), but the distance had been very predictable and consistent for the 5 rounds I've used them.

I hit the 8i with a Recoil 760 shaft yesterday at an outdoor range with Trackman machine. Holy crap, the club felt great at impact.

I hit the 8i with a Recoil 760 shaft yesterday at an outdoor range with Trackman machine. Holy crap, the club felt great at impact.
Seeing/hearing/feeling is believing.

I've played the heck out of these the last few days, and I've got a LOT of thoughts for tonight after I get out again. I'll say this now though, I should have been fully fit for irons (not just lie angle) years ago.

What were your numbers Frank?

It wasn't a good day for that kind of assessment. It was really really cold, the balls were like rocks and there was a stiff headwind. Because of the weather they had the TM machines normalized, which makes me a little less confident in numbers provided. With all those caveats I mostly saw results in my normal range. There were a small number that were about a club shorter and a small number that were about a club longer than normal - especially surprising with the weather. I was hitting the center of the face better than usual. I'm curious if that was a fluke or something about how the irons are configured being a better fit for me. I've never thought the i25s were anything other than solid for feel; these immediately made me take notice of the difference.

Does anyone know if you can order these from Callaway set to 1 degree strong?

Dax

Dax

I'm sure if you called them you could get exactly what you want

Dax

They can bend as much as 3-4 degrees either way is my understanding

Callaway Lie Angle Color Codes:

a392541e41208645cfddc9a9d36ee22d.jpg

I think he was talking loft. Not lie

I think he means loft. I could be wrong tho

Let me go have another sip of coffee then lol

I'd bet he does mean loft, and yes you can order them with the lofts bent stronger or weaker.

Back