2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have one from last week, I'll post it tomorrow or take a new one during my Wednesday workout.

I'm 27 going on 28, always athletic but never started lifting weights until about September last year. Love squats and deads so SL 5x5 was very appealing.

Here's an older clip, I think since this video was taken ive tried to keep elbows more up. I'm open to all criticism though as I want to get better at it!!

I might have one from last week, I'll post it tomorrow or take a new one during my Wednesday workout.

I'm 27 going on 28, always athletic but never started lifting weights until about September last year. Love squats and deads so SL 5x5 was very appealing.
Ok. Shoulder pain from a thumbs over squat grip is almost always caused by one of two things. Either an excessively narrow grip or a collapsed chest at the top. Widen your grip by two fingers to start and think proud chest before the decent.

Ok. Shoulder pain from a thumbs over squat grip is almost always caused by one of two things. Either an excessively narrow grip or a collapsed chest at the top. Widen your grip by two fingers to start and think proud chest before the decent.

Maybe I should re-phrase "shoulder" pain. It almost feels like its more along the face of my arm, almost tricep like.

And only in my right shoulder. I'm sure golf and bowling have taken its toll on that arm too over the years

And yes I did eat a medium peperoni pizza to myself on Saturday night.

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you're not a quitter... #ThisIsWhyImFat

Good session in the gym yesterday; squats, bench, and deads. Squats went well but I forgot to add my 5 # on my first work set, but got it on the final 2 and Wednesday is 315 so I get to add another plate!

Bench went well, 2nd work set was a grind so I belted up for the final and that seemed to make a world of difference, so will keep belting my work sets on the bench.

Finally got to deads and have been focusing on form quite a bit; was able to lift higher weights without straps, which I was happy about. My warmups were feeling really good so I decided to go for 375, which has been my white whale lately. Got 3 easy reps, 1 grind rep, then I messed up the final rep. After grinding the 4th rep, I felt the need to try to really explode off the ground and I think my form went to crap. Based on how easy the first 3 were, I should have been able to hit 5 but I got in my own way; I think I get it on Friday, I've got a feeling. Also, tried hook gripping my first warmup set and that **** sucked. I think over under will be where I go for the time being even if it isn't the best long term.

Oh, and just as an aside, I've lost enough stomach fat that I'm down another size on my weight belt, so that's fun.

Maybe I should re-phrase "shoulder" pain. It almost feels like its more along the face of my arm, almost tricep like.

And only in my right shoulder. I'm sure golf and bowling have taken its toll on that arm too over the years

Try doing a few extra mobility exercises beforehand - I've had this issue in the past, and that would usually work it out.

Good session in the gym yesterday; squats, bench, and deads. Squats went well but I forgot to add my 5 # on my first work set, but got it on the final 2 and Wednesday is 315 so I get to add another plate!

Bench went well, 2nd work set was a grind so I belted up for the final and that seemed to make a world of difference, so will keep belting my work sets on the bench.

Finally got to deads and have been focusing on form quite a bit; was able to lift higher weights without straps, which I was happy about. My warmups were feeling really good so I decided to go for 375, which has been my white whale lately. Got 3 easy reps, 1 grind rep, then I messed up the final rep. After grinding the 4th rep, I felt the need to try to really explode off the ground and I think my form went to crap. Based on how easy the first 3 were, I should have been able to hit 5 but I got in my own way; I think I get it on Friday, I've got a feeling. Also, tried hook gripping my first warmup set and that **** sucked. I think over under will be where I go for the time being even if it isn't the best long term.

Oh, and just as an aside, I've lost enough stomach fat that I'm down another size on my weight belt, so that's fun.
I like this post. I recommend sticking with the hook. Use it for all your pulls. Even the light weight warm ups.

I like pizza. I like more plates.

I'm in the opposite boat on the belts, at least my regular ones. Bigger quads and slightly bigger waist equals all new pants for work and golf.

Shoulder finally feeling normal again. Benched up to 255x5 last night with several sets of 225x5 after that. Feels good this morning. Added in some dumbbell presses, curls and skull crushers. I think I'm over my winter lull and ready for more gainzZz

Try doing a few extra mobility exercises beforehand - I've had this issue in the past, and that would usually work it out.

i definitely try to as much as i can. i know all the sports has probably taken its toll over the years but im just trying to figure out if:

A) i've just got bad form
B) I just need to work on mobility
C) My anatomy is just not cooperative with low-bar

i definitely try to as much as i can. i know all the sports has probably taken its toll over the years but im just trying to figure out if:

My opinions are added below:

A) i've just got bad form - Not bad form, just form that needs some fine-tuning
B) I just need to work on mobility - maybe but what you're feeling may be a symptom of other deficits. I know SL uses the press. I believe that the press is one of the best movements for strengthening and improving shoulder mobility. But the movement needs to be complete and performed as such.
C) My anatomy is just not cooperative with low-bar. Very unlikely for somebody of your age.

Don't get frustrated by this. It's fixable for a 28 year old male.

Here's an older clip, I think since this video was taken ive tried to keep elbows more up. I'm open to all criticism though as I want to get better at it!!

There are some things going on with your squat that need tweaking. But I will address the wrists/arms.

Here is your position at the top:
cb93fdef40c72f43848245ee1a3fe1ba.jpg

Here's my position at the top:
fc2c7214e0035ba1da72270c861c31fb.jpg

What is the biggest difference in our hands/wrists/elbows?

Pretty easy to see that you've got your hands, wrists, and forearm all in a straight line, hands overtop of the bar as well.

I've still got my palms under the bar, and bowed wrists. As much as I don't want my arms to be supporting any weight there, I'm sure they are. Could some of that load be transferring down into my tricep causing the stretch/pain that area?

My fitness kids had a good workout this morning before school. They did their normal running and then they did the following for 1 min on 15sec off

1. Sprint down/back
2. Curl ups
3. Bicep Curls
4. Flutter Kicks
5. Med Ball Slam
6. 6 inches

Finisher was partner workout out 5 rounds each and your partner did sit ups while waiting. Not bad for 6-8th graders.

10 push ups, 20 Jumping Jacks, 30 Air Squats

Pretty easy to see that you've got your hands, wrists, and forearm all in a straight line, hands overtop of the bar as well.

I've still got my palms under the bar, and bowed wrists. As much as I don't want my arms to be supporting any weight there, I'm sure they are. Could some of that load be transferring down into my tricep causing the stretch/pain that area?
Yes. That is exactly what's happening. It looks like there are some other things in your squat that are holding you back. I need a better video of a complete set

Today was weird workout day. Three exercises (one set each) then 3 minutes of cardio (repeat four times). DB Bench, Leg Press, TRX Face Pulls, cardio; Low-bar Squat, Narrow Lat Pulldown, Walking Lunges, cardio; DB Arnold Shoulder Press, DB Romanian Deadlift, Hammer Curl, cardio; DB Tricep Extension, Power Step ups, Weighted Toe Touches, cardio.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yes. That is exactly what's happening. It looks like there are some other things in your squat that are holding you back. I need a better video of a complete set

i'll make sure to get one tomorrow during my sets. Is there a specific angle that would work better?

i'll make sure to get one tomorrow during my sets. Is there a specific angle that would work better?
Rear 45°
Make sure we can see your feet and head at the top.

Last edited:
I like pizza. I like more plates.

I'm in the opposite boat on the belts, at least my regular ones. Bigger quads and slightly bigger waist equals all new pants for work and golf.

If you're anything like me you better find a good tailor, I typically I have to by up a size then have them taken in because they are too tight in the thigh area. Pumas are the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last working set last night, 185#.

How bad's my form these days?

Last working set last night, 185#.

How bad's my form these days?

Looks solid to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty low. Just below traps. Definitely not sitting on traps. I know it's not the best angle. Will do better next time.

Pretty low. Just below traps. Definitely not sitting on traps. I know it's not the best angle. Will do better next time.
First, I think your toes need to be flared out just a bit more. You're way too upright, proud chest at the top and nipples to the floor at the bottom. I like a neutral head position which means eyes on the floor 5'-6' in front of you. Your knees never get set. They travel forward on the decent and some more on the ascent. Break knees and hips at the same time. Get your knees place 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down and don't let them move. Once your knees are set, sit back with your hips, this will stretch out your hamstrings. Once you hip depth, it's hips up and not knees back. You're losing a lot of strength by keeping your torso up and squating with your knees and not your hips.

This will a great tool for you to use:

Last edited:
Because we are in a sharing mood today, my work set from last night. I am not thrilled with this:

Because we are in a sharing mood today, my work set from last night. I am not thrilled with this:

Saw that on Facebook. For us untrained novices, what about that upsets you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back