Callaway Apex Hybrid Review Thread

Favorite hybrids I have hit in a long long long while, and honestly the first square(ish) toed hybrids I can recall ever getting along with. I'm just really confident standing over them and I'll admit they're longer than I thought they would be, but, that has lead to them becoming really versatile for me as I'm comfy hitting them to different distances and flights when I need to (choking down, playing up or back, etc). I'm a big fan of how stable the Speeder HB90-x are in them, as its a shaft I never ever would have though to try (I was ready to go stock at my fitting) but they really are giving me a ton of launch that I love. To the point that I'm getting really good at hitting them into greens and at numbers.

Today I had a par 3 which was 189 to the pin, tiny bit downhill, but into a pretty stiff wind, I hit the 5hy pin high, 20 feet right of target, but on the green and pin high. More impressively for me was seeing this:

cb8a342cd109ebfc106c44a94c08931d.jpg

Its not a ton of spin, no, but I don't EVER spin a hybrid back on shots into greens. With the apex though my launch, spin, and descent are just really really good for what I like to see. And having a 5hy (and 4hy) that I am not at all scared to hit at numbers into greens is a big deal. With the XR I always had to play for the release and silly distance, these though are much more normalized and its addicting as hell.

Really good stuff Jman.

I hope you will have an Apex on hand next week. I am thinking of replacing my Titleist and want to compare.
Really good stuff Jman.

Strong ponder for me...once I get my CF16 irons and see how far I hit the 4i, the 3h will need to be demoed!

Strong ponder for me...once I get my CF16 irons and see how far I hit the 4i, the 3h will need to be demoed!

Looking forward to what you think.

I really couldn't be more pleased with my decision to drop the 5i and 4i in favor of these. There is literally nothing I miss about those long irons, I can do it all with these thanks to the profile and versatility of them.

Watched #Cookie hit two incredible shots off of tough lies with his 5 hybrid. The first one looking at the ball and the forced carry he had I thought no way he was going to make it to the green and might be fortunate to get it past the trouble. He hit a nice high shot to 2 feet. The second wasn't as tough a lie, in the rough and hit it to about 3 feet. So I would say turf interaction is pretty good with these.

Looking forward to what you think.

I really couldn't be more pleased with my decision to drop the 5i and 4i in favor of these. There is literally nothing I miss about those long irons, I can do it all with these thanks to the profile and versatility of them.
I was a little surprised my fitter recommended me going up to 4i but I'm trying to just trust him and letting the doubt go.

Your thoughts and and comments have me very intrigued fo sho.

Favorite hybrids I have hit in a long long long while, and honestly the first square(ish) toed hybrids I can recall ever getting along with. I'm just really confident standing over them and I'll admit they're longer than I thought they would be, but, that has lead to them becoming really versatile for me as I'm comfy hitting them to different distances and flights when I need to (choking down, playing up or back, etc). I'm a big fan of how stable the Speeder HB90-x are in them, as its a shaft I never ever would have though to try (I was ready to go stock at my fitting) but they really are giving me a ton of launch that I love. To the point that I'm getting really good at hitting them into greens and at numbers.

Today I had a par 3 which was 189 to the pin, tiny bit downhill, but into a pretty stiff wind, I hit the 5hy pin high, 20 feet right of target, but on the green and pin high. More impressively for me was seeing this:

cb8a342cd109ebfc106c44a94c08931d.jpg

Its not a ton of spin, no, but I don't EVER spin a hybrid back on shots into greens. With the apex though my launch, spin, and descent are just really really good for what I like to see. And having a 5hy (and 4hy) that I am not at all scared to hit at numbers into greens is a big deal. With the XR I always had to play for the release and silly distance, these though are much more normalized and its addicting as hell.

Liking your feedback JMan - going to try the 4h out - just want to get the right shaft in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have comparison pics with the xr pro or x2 hot pro hybrid?

Does anyone have comparison pics with the xr pro or x2 hot pro hybrid?

I dont have my XR Pro anymore, but played it. They are both small footprint hybrids, but to me they play incredibly different.

Yeah, I could never get comfortable over the xr or x2h pro hybrids. They're all on the small side, but those for me were still built as distance fiends and didn't really play as versatile for me.

Say it ain't so....HW craters with hybrids?!?

Callaway Apex Hybrids Review Thread

Callaway Apex Hybrids Review Thread

Thanks for the info, The apex sounds what I'm looking for. The x2 hot pro has been good to me but I have had it for a few years & it's time to try something new in the spring. It's either going to be an apex 20* or titleist h2 21* hybrid this year, hoping Nevada bobs gets the callaway in so I can compare both.

If you make it to a THP Event this year, you are welcome to put mine in your bag for the round.

Tadashi70 murdered this today

Man it's interesting how different I feel bout the Apex 5 hybrid. Never in a million years would have considered one for my bag but after two great swings on the course today, it will happen.

I'll replace my 3 hybrid with the 5 and not lose any yardage. The squared off toe and semi compact head set up great and it plays closer to an iron than any hybo I have hit. Well done Callaway!!

Man it's interesting how different I feel bout the Apex 5 hybrid. Never in a million years would have considered one for my bag but after two great swings on the course today, it will happen.

I'll replace my 3 hybrid with the 5 and not lose any yardage. The squared off toe and semi compact head set up great and it plays closer to an iron than any hybo I have hit. Well done Callaway!!

They're so so so so so so good. The 5hy might be my favorite club in the bag, and I don't miss the 5i at all.

They're so so so so so so good. The 5hy might be my favorite club in the bag, and I don't miss the 5i at all.

I'll keep the 5i and add this, it's just so silly easy to hit

I'll keep the 5i and add this, it's just so silly easy to hit

Completely agree that it's the best mix of a hybrid and iron that I've seen/played. I really really enjoy having the 4/5 in the bag after hitting JB's 3 in November.

Hit a few shots on the range with my 4h today. Probably one if the easiest and best hybrids I have hit. I love the flight and being able to play it normal or to flight it down a little

Jman,

How do your lofts work between the 6 iron and 5H?

They gap perfectly for me. The 5hy is my 200 range club, the 6i is my 190 range club.

Thanks for the reply. Is the loft on your 6 standard?

Yep, 27* on the 6i, 26* on the 5hy. But, thanks to the length and such, it gaps out the same distance the 5i would for me.

Jman,

How do your lofts work between the 6 iron and 5H?

To add to what Jman said below, I play a 5 iron (190) and a 4H (200). I just purchased the 3H and expect to hit it about 210. I don't have any gap issues.

I actually have a bigger gap between by 8 iron and 7 iron. Cup face is the reason I suspect.

Back