Most unusual food you’ve eaten

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
The chili/cinnamon roll thread got me thinking about unusual foods I’ve had. Like the Krispy Kreme burger or the cheeseburger sushi roll from
Cowfish.

What about you, what have you had that you could classify as unusual?

Not really food, but lately I've been drinking a combination of apple cider vinegar and chicken bone broth. I would imagine most people would find it disgusting.

Fried Rattlesnake or snapping turtle soup. Tastes like chicken, I think, I was a kid, it was the 80's...in the middle of nowhere.

Ostrich tare-tare - was paper thing and dissolved in your mouth

Live Octopus. It sucks. Get it? :bulgy-eyes:

Deep fried rattlesnake and deep fried turtle. I remember the turtle being awesome but I was around 21 at the time so there was lots of beer involved.

A boss of mine when I was selling cars brought in some possum chili his wife had made. It was chili, so you really couldn't taste the meat by itself with all the seasonings and such. It was good.

Cow tongue. In the US it's pretty unusual, but in different parts of the world it's very common. Cow tongue tacos were fantastic.

sweetbreads were a little strange. i enjoyed them, but not something i was dying to order again.

i had a roasted piece of cow bone and a small elongated spoon to scoop out the marrow and spread it on some toast points. delicious, but weird texture.

in mexico i had cabrito, which is a young goat roasted on a spit. you would order which part you want, and they carved it off the goat tableside. my great grandmother always ordered the head.

Cow brain tacos???

Cow tongue. In the US it's pretty unusual, but in different parts of the world it's very common. Cow tongue tacos were fantastic.

La lingual tacos I’ve been eating for years. My buddy used to braise his cow tongue for hours and shave off thin slices for tacos

sweetbreads were a little strange. i enjoyed them, but not something i was dying to order again.

i had a roasted piece of cow bone and a small elongated spoon to scoop out the marrow and spread it on some toast points. delicious, but weird texture.

in mexico i had cabrito, which is a young goat roasted on a spit. you would order which part you want, and they carved it off the goat tableside. my great grandmother always ordered the head.

Not a fan of sweetbreads

La lingual tacos I’ve been eating for years. My buddy used to braise his cow tongue for hours and shave off thin slices for tacos

yea depending on location they can either be really common or really strange if you ask people. I ordered them a couple weeks ago up here and everyone looked at me funny.

Rocky Mountain oysters.

Not a fan of sweetbreads

i thought the flavor and texture was pretty good. but it was tough to get past knowing what i was eating.

Haggis

Growing up on a small family farm, I have had brains, sweetbreads, bone marrow, headcheese(yucck), fried rattlesnake, squirrel, wild rabbit.
As a hunter, I have had deer, elk, bear, moose, boar, multitude of birds and of course fish.
I have had gator tail, which I found boring till I dipped it in the different sauces that were served with it.

I've never tried an insect of any kind and don't plan on it either.

Among the more uncommon things I've eaten are beaver (no lewd comments please) and raccoon. I've also had rabbit, ostrich, squirrel, bison, elk, turtle, alligator, rattlesnake... but those aren't particularly uncommon. I've never met anyone else that's had beaver or raccoon, though. Ummm... i also made tuna fish pizza once. Only once. It's horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Various insects and worms, escargot was delicious. Different plants and roots when I lived off the grid for a year.

Walleye Eyeballs

I was dared

Squirrel gumbo and taro root have to be at the top of the list.

Growing up with a butcher for a grandfather I was introduced to all types of interesting stuff when I was too young to be grossed out.

So, if it comes from a cow or pig I've probably eaten it at some point. Brains are an interesting texture. Tongue is only good if it's cooked properly. Head cheese can also be phenomenal or awful depending on it's preparation. Blood sausage might be a bit unusual.

While it's not weird-unusual, one of the most unique things I've eaten has been same day sushi, caught and prepared by friends while on a work retreat in Mexico. I'm unlikely to have that experience again.

Anyone like or eats Hogsheads cheese?

Back