Jemell Hill Suspended

tucsoncacti

Team Paradise 2021 Morgan Cup
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
JH was suspended for two weeks for telling fans to boycott the NFL. But you cannot tell people not to tune in, when your employer depends on that viewership.

If I told people not to use the services my hospital provides I would expect to be fired.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/09/media/jemele-hill-espn-suspended/index.html

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Just so we're clear: I'm not advocating a NFL boycott," Hill tweeted. "But an unfair burden has been put on players in Dallas & Miami w/ anthem directives."

:confused2:

JH was suspended for two weeks for telling fans to boycott the NFL. But you cannot tell people not to tune in, when your employer depends on that viewership.

If I told people not to use the services my hospital provides I would expect to be fired.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/09/media/jemele-hill-espn-suspended/index.html

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Truth be told, most of her time is focused on issues outside the field of action so while a boycott would hurt most of the people at ESPN, it would be her favorite news story of the year.

She is by far the most racist POS espn has. Firing her would cost them millions. Good for espn.

"Just so we're clear: I'm not advocating a NFL boycott," Hill tweeted. "But an unfair burden has been put on players in Dallas & Miami w/ anthem directives."

It's so pompous for her to assume the players are burdened by this. It's almost like she's implying that if the players don't have a problem with this then they don't stand for what's right. Good grief.

It's so pompous for her to assume the players are burdened by this. It's almost like she's implying that if the players don't have a problem with this then they don't stand for what's right. Good grief.

It was only a matter of time before she got suspended. I am surprised it took them this long.

They conveniently left out some of the other ones to fit their guideline of reporting. She should have been suspended the last time she decided to get political on Twitter, the same way they handled Schilling. Its not hard...Follow the guidelines that you accepted for employment or don't, but their might be consequences. Seems like any other job out there, right?

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-09%20at%204.20.47%20PM-M.png

How many of those advertisers are also ESPN advertisers? ESPN without the NFL dies, and she's trying to kill her employer.

They conveniently left out some of the other ones to fit their guideline of reporting. She should have been suspended the last time she decided to get political on Twitter, the same way they handled Schilling. Its not hard...Follow the guidelines that you accepted for employment or don't, but their might be consequences. Seems like any other job out there, right?

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-09%20at%204.20.47%20PM-M.png

I fully expected her to get suspended last time.

She is by far the most racist POS espn has. Firing her would cost them millions. Good for espn.

Agree 100% It would be worth the lawsuit to see her fired and ESPN can afford the price.

They conveniently left out some of the other ones to fit their guideline of reporting. She should have been suspended the last time she decided to get political on Twitter, the same way they handled Schilling. Its not hard...Follow the guidelines that you accepted for employment or don't, but their might be consequences. Seems like any other job out there, right? QUOTE]

I showed this to my wife, a HR manager in manufacturing, and she loves you now JB.

SMH at some of the comments.

I'll be honest I am not sure what ESPN is trying to accomplish with the suspension. While i dont agree with her comments or political view points, I still don't agree suspending her was right. If we agree on the 1st amendment, we have to agree for all and not for the ones who fit our particular view points.

I'll be honest I am not sure what ESPN is trying to accomplish with the suspension. While i dont agree with her comments or political view points, I still don't agree suspending her was right. If we agree on the 1st amendment, we have to agree for all and not for the ones who fit our particular view points.
The first amendment has never applied to a matter of employment.

That being said, the SportsCenter at 6 has been very socially conscious in its latest incarnation. ESPN suspending her sends a terrible message. They're down with being woke, so long as your being woke doesn't cost them money? That's terrible message from every angle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That being said, the SportsCenter at 6 has been very socially conscious in its latest incarnation. ESPN suspending her sends a terrible message. They're down with being woke, so long as your being woke doesn't cost them money? That's terrible message from every angle.

I understand the employment aspect and agree.

I guess it's more of a shock and slippery slope they've created given their CEO being ok with the recent political comments

Why exactly did schilling get fired from ESPN ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why exactly did schilling get fired from ESPN ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He made comments about transgender and their use of the wrong bathrooms. This was the straw that broke the camels back after sharing his point of views many times on ESPN

Whether SC is socially woke or not is irrelevant, IMO, and I don't believe costing them money is the reason. She violated the terms of her employment, and in a rather incendiary way that draws negative attention to the network and drags them unwillingly into political controversy. As technically a news organization, they should be reporting the news, not having to add commentary to it or having to separate company opinion from an employee's personal one.

If a spokesperson for McDonald's was running their mouth on Twitter about how we shouldnt eat their hamburgers, or should boycott them until they stop using pink slime for meat, what would happen to that person's job?

I actually believe that she is getting too much leeway here. The first offense should have been suspension, this one termination.

ESPN allowing political talk is just plain stupid. To quote/paraphrase Michael Jordan: "Conservative buy shoes too". We are a divided country. Anyone that openly speaks about social or political views is going to alienate 50% of their audience / customer base. That's bad business.

Whether SC is socially woke or not is irrelevant, IMO, and I don't believe costing them money is the reason. She violated the terms of her employment, and in a rather incendiary way that draws negative attention to the network and drags them unwillingly into political controversy. As technically a news organization, they should be reporting the news, not having to add commentary to it or having to separate company opinion from an employee's personal one.

If a spokesperson for McDonald's was running their mouth on Twitter about how we shouldnt eat their hamburgers, or should boycott them until they stop using pink slime for meat, what would happen to that person's job?

I actually believe that she is getting too much leeway here. The first offense should have been suspension, this one termination.
Just one person's opinion, but I think it is 100% about money. The NFL is powerful. They get something like Billions - with a B - for MNF alone from ESPN. The NFL got ESPN to cancel that TV show they used to have about pro-football.

Hill called for economic actions against ESPN's cash cow. They were obviously okay with her comments when she was inflammatory about the President. This crossed ESPN's economic line.

Just one person's opinion, but I think it is 100% about money. The NFL is powerful. They get something like Billions - with a B - for MNF alone from ESPN. The NFL got ESPN to cancel that TV show they used to have about pro-football.

Hill called for economic actions against ESPN's cash cow. They were obviously okay with her comments when she was inflammatory about the President. This crossed ESPN's economic line.

More than likely the NFL stepped in and had ESPN muzzle her. The ideology of the Disney Company is fully aligned with JH.

Just one person's opinion, but I think it is 100% about money. The NFL is powerful. They get something like Billions - with a B - for MNF alone from ESPN. The NFL got ESPN to cancel that TV show they used to have about pro-football. Hill called for economic actions against ESPN's cash cow. They were obviously okay with her comments when she was inflammatory about the President. This crossed ESPN's economic line.
I don't think they were ok with her comments on the President at all. Due to all the political turmoil in this country, they kind of had to take that first one or risk being called a "_________" company and have the entire recreational outrage internet machine rip them a new one. But, I do think they did what they had to to protect themselves in that instance. She apologized and then went right back at it again. They have no choice but to take further action. Sure, money is involved. It always is, but I don't believe it to be the driving factor. They told her to can it, she didn't, and now she is dealing with the consequences. Next time, I'm sure the punishment will be even more severe.

I don't think they were ok with her comments on the President at all. Due to all the political turmoil in this country, they kind of had to take that first one or risk being called a "_________" company and have the entire recreational outrage internet machine rip them a new one. But, I do think they did what they had to to protect themselves in that instance. She apologized and then went right back at it again. They have no choice but to take further action. Sure, money is involved. It always is, but I don't believe it to be the driving factor. They told her to can it, she didn't, and now she is dealing with the consequences. Next time, I'm sure the punishment will be even more severe.

Even if she ends up the victim in this matter her next stop will be as a social commentator on a network friendly to her world view.

Even if she ends up the victim in this matter her next stop will be as a social commentator on a network friendly to her world view.
Yeah, everybody loves being a victim these days. I'm sure it will end up there.

Back