Sounds like too much arm, not enough hips on the downswing... as Tiger would say, "I forgot to activate my hips before the arms."
My problem is that I fire hips early on full shots. Working on keeping them frozen before contact. Weight transition is a big part of my issue I'm learning. If I can get a full shoulder rotation and back to target, I'm fine. If not, I either pull the ball or make so so contact. Jumping the shot even on short game. Thx for the tip, I'll pay attention to that next time out

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

I don't completely agree that bounce is your friend EXCEPT in the bunker. Given a good lie in the first cut fringe or fairway, wouldn't more bounce create more of an issue on anything less the a perfectly struck ball? Seems more bounce would make it harder to get good contact off good grass. Just one hacker's opinion. Enjoying the discussion, yall post your opinions and experience please.

Picked up a 58* nike vr with 8* of bounce and am loving it. Made a few up and downs with it today. IMO less bounce gives me a better chance to get ball in the sweet spot on clubface

I'm not sure I understand. are you saying that bounce is not your friend, except in the bunkers where it then becomes your friend?

bob vokey would disagree with you (see question 1) http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleis...ob-vokey-bounce-grinds-and-wedge-fitting.aspx

roger Cleveland would disagree http://youtu.be/-I4Y1euoU5Y

I'm not trying to be snarky or a jerk, I just think the consensus is that bounce is absolutely your friend. it gives you so much wiggle room to miss the shot a little, whereas a low bounce high loft wedge requires precision that most of us usually lack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. I'll take a look at those later, headed to dinner with SWMBO. Maybe my perception of how bounce affects the shot if off. In short, I think a low bounce club let's you keep the club and leading edge closer the ground for longer during the swing. Healthy conversation, thanks for the links.

In addition to my pitching wedge I also carry a trio of Warrior wedges. Gap 52°, sand 56°, and lob 60°. Despite the non traditional method of marketing that Warrior Custom Golf is known for, the wedges play well for me. The 52° & 56° especially so. I have a real difficult time with any 60°.

My problem is that I fire hips early on full shots. Working on keeping them frozen before contact. Weight transition is a big part of my issue I'm learning. If I can get a full shoulder rotation and back to target, I'm fine. If not, I either pull the ball or make so so contact. Jumping the shot even on short game. Thx for the tip, I'll pay attention to that next time out

Oh, a sequencing issue... happens to me with driver - the sequencing.

I tend to look at arms first with those symptoms, but yes, I can see where quick hips can lead to similar issues. I use a weight transfer with a lateral move of hips before turning hips -- which helps shallow out the club. I think of turning the right butt cheek to finish off the turn to shallow out... good luck.

Ok. I'll take a look at those later, headed to dinner with SWMBO. Maybe my perception of how bounce affects the shot if off. In short, I think a low bounce club let's you keep the club and leading edge closer the ground for longer during the swing. Healthy conversation, thanks for the links.

Bounce is generally your friend because if you fat a bit, bounce helps the club glide along the path whereas a club with less bounce will stick in the ground.

It all depends on your swing, the design of the bounce, relief, and whether the leading edge is a bit high off the ground. Having bounce doesn't help if you've got your hands far ahead of the clubhead when striking the ball.

That is why Edel makes 8 different grind depending on your swing. I have 18 deg of bounce in my LW, but the sole has plenty of relief and the leading edge sits low to the ground. I can lean the shaft backwards on a tight lie and hit a flop with ease -- the right design makes for great versatility.

I don't completely agree that bounce is your friend EXCEPT in the bunker. Given a good lie in the first cut fringe or fairway, wouldn't more bounce create more of an issue on anything less the a perfectly struck ball? Seems more bounce would make it harder to get good contact off good grass. Just one hacker's opinion. Enjoying the discussion, yall post your opinions and experience please.

Its actually the opposite for most golfers. Its why soles have become increasingly bigger over the years is just about every iron produced. Take a look at a hybrid vs a 3 iron. The head length will be similar size in a lot of models, yet the sole will be 3 times as much.

50° set Apex AW which I'm not in love with (I love set AWs normally, the distance just seems off to me with this one).

Pete I totally agree with this! It should be my 130 club but I'm lucky if I can hit 125.

It's weird.

Last edited:
My current 54° has 14° of bounce, which makes firmer lies extremely difficult to use the club on. It really forces me to deloft to prevent the trailing edge of the bounce from causing the club to skip causing a thin hit. I'm going to get one with 10° of bounce for summertime conditions and courses with denser sand.

I have been having issues with higher bounce on my 58* 12b
everywhere but the bunker.
bunker shots are great.
going to try a 58* with 8b

In the sand you can always open the face up a bit which increase the effect of bounce.

There is a (to me) new school of thought where you rely on the trailing edge for all chips, pitches etc where you let the sole slide through. I haven't really tried this yet but Roger Cleveland is a huge advocate of it.

In the sand you can always open the face up a bit which increase the effect of bounce.

There is a (to me) new school of thought where you rely on the trailing edge for all chips, pitches etc where you let the sole slide through. I haven't really tried this yet but Roger Cleveland is a huge advocate of it.

He is also a huge advocate in bounce for golfers including him saying this exact phrase

"Most golfers need more bounce and with proper fitting which is equally important they find that out"

He is also a huge advocate in bounce for golfers including him saying this exact phrase

"Most golfers need more bounce and with proper fitting which is equally important they find that out"
Looking forward to my proper fitting come December

My current 54° has 14° of bounce, which makes firmer lies extremely difficult to use the club on. It really forces me to deloft to prevent the trailing edge of the bounce from causing the club to skip causing a thin hit. I'm going to get one with 10° of bounce for summertime conditions and courses with denser sand.

The type of wedge and grind has more impact on this. A perfect example is hitting a hybrid from a multitude of lies.

I would like to have a wedge fitting. I've always kind of guessed what works. More bounce is interesting cause I tend to like less. Probably extended wedgucation would fix some of my issues.

I would like to have a wedge fitting. I've always kind of guessed what works. More bounce is interesting cause I tend to like less. Probably extended wedgucation would fix some of my issues.

I think most online do. Similar to how they enjoy smaller irons overall. People many times equate size with bounce because playable bounce and bounce are different. Perfect example of hat is the first Cleveland Smart Sole wedge which was larger and had a large sole, but was technically low bounce.

Learning proper technique is where I feel I should start honestly. I often wonder if I'm using the bounce properly. Or if this is like many thing in golf I'm over thinking it.

Online wedge fitting. Cool concept. I'll see what i can find and post it up

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

Rtx 2.0 50/54/58 in black with dynamic gold black onyx shafts all stealthed out!

My current setup consists of a 47° set-PW (S grind) a Mizuno T11 54° (C grind) and a Mizuno T11 60° (C grind) wedge. I really like my 54/60 for flop shots and open face shots around the green. The 54 and 47 are also used for approach shots. The thing is I feel like the C grind combined with my bounce of 09 and 08 on these wedges don't give me enough room for errors on hinge and hold style chip shots around the green (especially from the rough).

I really like my wedges and want to add one more in the 56° range for pure hinge and hold chipping. I usually take minimal divots in my short game so I suppose I'm pretty much a neutral player.

Maybe you guys can help me out by recommending a wedge grind+bounce that's suitable. Thanks a lot!

Doc a 56 puts your wedge count at 5. Are you carrying all 4 you have? youre leaning towards more bounce on the 56, im going to pull out a 56 sand with a good bit of bounce and compare a few shots

I'm only carrying 3 wedges(47-10bounce,54-09,60-08) atm. sorry for confusing you. I'm looking into a 56° for pure hinge/hold chipping from medium fluffy lies

Rtx 2.0 50/54/58 in black with dynamic gold black onyx shafts all stealthed out!

How are you liking your wedges Clarkey? I am really liking mine the more I hit them

PS You need to update your signature :D

Doc our setups are similar in our low bounce approach to the short game. Im really liking the 58-08 Nike and have a 60-08 vokey im testing out

Doc our setups are similar in our low bounce approach to the short game. Im really liking the 58-08 Nike and have a 60-08 vokey im testing out

sounds great. I really like to open it up on short ranged shots (chip,flop). The thing is I'm playing in quite rainy conditions here and the rough and area around the green is pretty thick in general. So I really want to try a a different grind for a hinge hold style approach with a closed face. I've looked into an F grind vokey but maybe you guys have a different idea.

Back