Golf Course Management - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So during my round today I was able to see some different aspects of golf course management. These individuals have early hours taking care of the courses that we grow so fond of playing. Interesting enough I saw various positions from club house manager, starter, leaf blower, mowers and green rollers. Of those positions I would have to say the position I would not want to hold when I retire would be the sprinkler guy. Little Mountain Country Club had two guys on each fairway manually watering the fairway. Talk about soaked.

The most chill job I found out there was the gentleman driving around blow the few leaves on the course to the edges of the fairway and beyond. Guy was bundled up looking like the unibomber.

For me I could see myself being a starter in my elder years? Any of you out there currently employed in the Golf Course Management arena or do you see yourself being involved when you retire?

I have thought about being a starter or marshall/ranger in my later years. Don't want to be the guy riding around in carts just for the free golf but to actually ensure everyone is having a good time and that pace of play is being met.

During our round yesterday one of the marshalls let us know that one of the guys balls landed up by a tree on the next fairway. By time we finished the hole and went to said tee box on the next hole he was already looking for the ball for a few minutes. I thought that was pretty cool and an awesome way to demonstrate course hospitality.

I used to work in the club house, counter guy, early morning shift. It was great mon-fri 6 am to about 4 when I finished my after shift nine hole round. It was a great job. If I could make a living at it i'd do it again.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Having gone to college (Kansas State) for this degree program...yes, it's a degree. Horticulture Science with and Emphasis on Golf Course Management, Minor in Business. I've seen JUST about every job on the course, outside of General Manager and Head Superintendent. I've been the Assistant Golf Pro, and during my college years I did an Internship on the grounds crew at South Padre Island Golf Club. There I did everything EXCEPT apply chemicals/fertilizer to the turf. Had to have passed State testing for that.
I enjoyed my time as an Assistant Pro, I REALLY did...but being on the grounds crew (for the most part) was a lot of fun. Yes, the early hours SUCKED, but once you get going it's just like anything else, except I was done by 3 in the afternoon or earlier on the weekends. So, usually I'd work from say 6am to 3, change into some shorts and a polo then hit the course for 18, head home for supper, get some sleep and do it all over again the next day! Down at SPIGC, it was usually pretty decent weather outside of some wind off the Gulf, but nothing crazy usually.
It doesn't pay well. Heck, I had a standing offer to be the Assistant Superintendent after graduation, but it wasn't what I thought I wanted to do. Now, if I had the cash and was able to retire, I'd work as a Starter or Marshall on the course. If that didn't get me free golf, I'd work with the cart staff, that's not to crazy.

Great to get to see and hear a little bit more of the inside of the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having gone to college (Kansas State) for this degree program...yes, it's a degree. Horticulture Science with and Emphasis on Golf Course Management, Minor in Business. I've seen JUST about every job on the course, outside of General Manager and Head Superintendent. I've been the Assistant Golf Pro, and during my college years I did an Internship on the grounds crew at South Padre Island Golf Club. There I did everything EXCEPT apply chemicals/fertilizer to the turf. Had to have passed State testing for that.
I enjoyed my time as an Assistant Pro, I REALLY did...but being on the grounds crew (for the most part) was a lot of fun. Yes, the early hours SUCKED, but once you get going it's just like anything else, except I was done by 3 in the afternoon or earlier on the weekends. So, usually I'd work from say 6am to 3, change into some shorts and a polo then hit the course for 18, head home for supper, get some sleep and do it all over again the next day! Down at SPIGC, it was usually pretty decent weather outside of some wind off the Gulf, but nothing crazy usually.
It doesn't pay well. Heck, I had a standing offer to be the Assistant Superintendent after graduation, but it wasn't what I thought I wanted to do. Now, if I had the cash and was able to retire, I'd work as a Starter or Marshall on the course. If that didn't get me free golf, I'd work with the cart staff, that's not to crazy.

Thanks for the added details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back