Cobra F-MAX Offset Driver - THP Review Thread

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Here at THP, we will review EVERYTHING because the fact of the matter is no golfer is created the same and we all have different needs and fits. Case in point? In for review from Cobra's new F-MAX line is their offset driver, THP recieved the 9.5 degree version with Stiff flex Cobra Super-Lite shaft.

The gold is definitely bold when it comes to the F-MAX line, its an interesting look and with the offset neck on the one received combined with the visual cues on the sole of the club as to where the weighting is placed there is no doubt this is aimed at the golfer looking to battle that vaunted OTT right-slice move. Additionally, the crown offers a visual alignment aid down the middle like what we saw from another OEM last year, albeit in a much more blended manner. I've had it out a couple of times already and I plan on getting a solid update tonight to kick off the review.

F_MAX_DRIVER_HERO_BLACK.jpg

F_MAX_DRIVER_ADDRESS_BLACK.jpg

Additionally, I'm having some camera/upload issues at the moment so in-hand pics will hopefully go into this post tonight.

Cobra on the F-MAX Drivers:

The F-MAX Offset and Straight-Neck Drivers are our lightest, most forgiving driver engineered specifically for golfers with moderate swing speeds who require maximum draw bias. Back, heel weighting and an offset hosel promotes straighter and higher launching drives.

• LIGHTWEIGHT TECHNOLOGY BUILT FOR EFFORTLESS SPEED & DISTANCE.
    • Engineered for moderate swing speeds featuring ultralight construction to help you play your best.
    • A) Larger Grips - Larger, midsize grips improve comfort and consistency with every swing.
    • B) Lighter Shafts - Lighter shaft weights help golfers with moderate swing speeds generate more clubhead speed with less effort for maximum distance.
    • C) Lighter Swing Weights - Lighter swing weights improve comfort during the swing to help moderate swingers see improvements in launch and speed.

• FASTER AND STRAIGHTER.
    • The F-Max features a forged Titanium 6-4 face, delivering improved ball speeds on off-center hits.

• EASY UP AND STRAIGHT. MORE FAIRWAYS. PERIOD.
    • Technologies designed for easy up launch and straighter ball flights.
    • A) BACK/HEEL CG - A fixed, back weight positioned near the heel promotes straighter, more forgiving ball flights.
    • B) OFFSET & STRAIGHT NECK - Available in an offset hosel design with maximum draw bias or a non-offset, straight neck hosel with minimal draw bias to allow golfers to choose their level of forgiveness.
    • C) CROWN ALIGNMENT - A visually appealing crown alignment detail makes it easy to align the clubhead at address for straighter trajectories down the target line.

Specifications:

LoftLengthSwing WeightVolumeStock FlexRH/LH
9.5º45.50"D3460ccS, R, LiteRH
10.5º45.50"D1460ccS, R, LiteRH/LH
11.5º45.50"D0460ccS, R, LiteRH

ModelFlexWeightKick PointTorqueTip Diameter
F-MAX / COBRA SuperLiteStiff64gLow-MidMid-High0.335
F-MAX / COBRA SuperLiteRegular60gLow-MidMid-High0.335
F-MAX / COBRA SuperLiteLite58gLow-MidMid-High0.335

Video Information:

From Cobra

From THP TV

In-Hand Pictures:

Coming soon - technical camera difficulties currently.

• Staff
Again, it says it in the OP a couple times, but I know it will be asked still. In-hand pics will be up soon, I promise, I'm having some pretty hefty technical difficulties with my current rig and I'm just not willing to invest in a new setup until some things work themselves out. I'll get them up soon though. Promise.

A) Larger Grips - Larger, midsize grips improve comfort and consistency with every swing.

That's interesting. I don't recall other manufacturers going with midsize grips as a default, I wonder what research they have that backed up the consistency?

I do like the black and gold look to it.

A) Larger Grips - Larger, midsize grips improve comfort and consistency with every swing.

That's interesting. I don't recall other manufacturers going with midsize grips as a default, I wonder what research they have that backed up the consistency?

I use larger grips on my woods and wedges. Midsize 4 wraps and 6 on the bottom hand

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think it comes down to the target golfer they are at and a larger grip could help take some tension out of the hands.

Maybe grip lighter and loosen up the hands?
Maybe target audience is older?

I like the Black and Gold as well.

Add this to the list of drivers Id like to try. Sounds right up my alley as Ive always enjoyed the lighter drivers.

I think it comes down to the target golfer they are at and a larger grip could help take some tension out of the hands.

I suppose. I was always told that smaller hands with a larger grip though would lead to inconsistency as well, so it was an immediate eye raise.

I suppose. I was always told that smaller hands with a larger grip though would lead to inconsistency as well, so it was an immediate eye raise.

used to be told that larger grips lead to a later release and could cause pushes and the rights. Whereas the smaller could lead the other direction. Then JumboMax came along haha

Yeah, out of the box THAT is what I noticed most, more than even the offset.

Add this to the list of drivers Id like to try. Sounds right up my alley as Ive always enjoyed the lighter drivers.

We can make it happen. Good additional data.

used to be told that larger grips lead to a later release and could cause pushes and the rights. Whereas the smaller could lead the other direction. Then JumboMax came along haha

Ugh. Jumbomax.

Yeah, out of the box THAT is what I noticed most, more than even the offset.

We can make it happen. Good additional data.

Ugh. Jumbomax.

Absolutely, glad to help out and put my 2 cents in as a man of the people

I was in the camp that REALLY didn't like the alignment line on the other OEM's driver. This one is much easier on the eyes, IMO. I also think the color combo is interesting. It reminds me of some premium lines that have come out recently.

I was in the camp that REALLY didn't like the alignment line on the other OEM's driver. This one is much easier on the eyes, IMO. I also think the color combo is interesting. It reminds me of some premium lines that have come out recently.

Its easily the most aesthetically pleasing offset/heavy-draw driver I have seen in hand. Its smart, as that is something that has likely driven many golfers from a club they would benefit from, in the past only PING has understood the merits of a good/normal looking draw driver IMO.

Cobra had a FANTASTIC alignment line on this driver several of years ago with the AMP Offset. It is still my favorite crown on any driver.

As the offset line has evolved, they seemingly aim it more and more at lower swing speed players who need additional spin and carry. Last year's Max even in the stiffest shaft they offered and the lowest launch they offered was a spinny, wet noodle shafted offering. Yeah, it went left, but it went high and short.

There's another market there though -- for average or higher swing speed players who want that highly closed face. I think their offset line is like 7 degrees closed, which can definitely move a ball left. A little offset can give a fraction of extra time to square the hands. These things can help a lot of golfers.

I'd love to see an 8.5 degree model with a "real" stiff shaft at about 65 grams. They had this with the S3 Max, but every iteration they seem to get further away. Hopefully this one moves them back a bit -- as I do see a 65 gram shaft.

Cobra had a FANTASTIC alignment line on this driver several of years ago with the AMP Offset. It is still my favorite crown on any driver.

As the offset line has evolved, they seemingly aim it more and more at lower swing speed players who need additional spin and carry. Last year's Max even in the stiffest shaft they offered and the lowest launch they offered was a spinny, wet noodle shafted offering. Yeah, it went left, but it went high and short.

There's another market there though -- for average or higher swing speed players who want that highly closed face. I think their offset line is like 7 degrees closed, which can definitely move a ball left. A little offset can give a fraction of extra time to square the hands. These things can help a lot of golfers.

I'd love to see an 8.5 degree model with a "real" stiff shaft at about 65 grams. They had this with the S3 Max, but every iteration they seem to get further away. Hopefully this one moves them back a bit -- as I do see a 65 gram shaft.

I'll say this, I have turned this one left. And HIGH. Can't wait to get some more initial data to post.

I'll say this, I have turned this one left. And HIGH. Can't wait to get some more initial data to post.

If you're hitting this high then it's terrifying for me to try (even though I still want to). Been awhile since I've tried a lighter weight setup so curiosity is there. Also noticed the larger standard grip...likely a smart move.

If you're hitting this high then it's terrifying for me to try (even though I still want to). Been awhile since I've tried a lighter weight setup so curiosity is there. Also noticed the larger standard grip...likely a smart move.

Haha, you are a launcher of the ball dude.

I'd love to hear some data and I mean that in the most positive way. I have no doubt that this club starts the ball left and hits it high.

But of course, that sir shall be done via the Foresight GC2.

But of course, that sir shall be done via the Foresight GC2.

The only way to fly. ;) Thank you. I'd love to get a comparison of launch angle, spin, side spin and lateral azimuth vs your G400 set to the same loft. I have some targeted deltas in mind that I would love to see if you end up hitting.

The only way to fly. ;) Thank you. I'd love to get a comparison of launch angle, spin, side spin and lateral azimuth vs your G400 set to the same loft. I have some targeted deltas in mind that I would love to see if you end up hitting.
Unable to do that loft to loft, I'll also be honest that I'm not big on that type of comparison.

There will be data as we put these kick ass GC2's to use, but all within the framework of the review.

Sorry for the delay on pics, once again, I'm fighting some camera issues and its pissing me off.

That said, I have had this one out and about a bit and have thoughts, and some Foresight driven data too, of course. Haha

First off, the look is something that is going to clearly play with someones mind who demands a square face, the offset driver though is honestly something many amateurs could benefit from. Past that, the alignment aid on the top has been a nice friendly reminder for me at setup to not just subliminally hood the clubface and smother hook it off the planet, and its subdued so it doesn't distract. Trusting it makes setup a breeze, but, you MUST trust it, because if you haven't swung an offset driver it will definitely mess with your head at first.

The sound is straight up Cobra, and that is a good thing. Feels and sounds very F7 to me, and again, thats a good thing. Its in that realm that may not win any "best sounding" awards, but it also won't turn anyone off.

Now, some data you ask? Sure. The following is based on 25 tee shots with the F-MAX Offset driver on the Foresight GC2 with only the most SEVERE of misses tossed out.

Ball Speed: 156 MPH
Launch: 12.2
Spin: 3217 RPM

So what do we have here? A lot of what I expected. Even at 9* the head launches really well, and keep in mind a lot of that is because offset isn't just about DRAW, its about LAUNCH. This driver is set up to do just that, and IMO in my typical 10*-11* head range I would be seeing easy 14* angles, which for me as a low baller is very good. Now, despite the lightweight setup the ball-speed is a touch lower than my gamer, which I anticipated and it might be a comfort thing still, I plan on putting this into the hands of 7 other THPers this weekend and collecting data to see though if that stands true, as well as just me hitting it some more to hit that comfort zone. The spin is higher, but still not what I class as "high spin" most who seek out this type of driver need two things to maximize their distance, spin and launch, so far this does both. Accuracy wise, it has tamed my fade for sure, even when I really try to cut the ball hard, its more tame than non-offset models, but it CAN still be done. Its not a bandaid to fix every swing fault, but, it can make the miss more playable.

More soon, I promise, like I said, I'll have it in the hands of a LOT of THPers very soon.

Jman - did you measure the head ? Close to stated loft ?

Jman - did you measure the head ? Close to stated loft ?
If you want to buy me the measuring gear, I'd be happy to. Hahaha!

Sorry dude, I've no way to measure. But, based on the design and CG location, it's no surprise it launches higher really.

If you want to buy me the measuring gear, I'd be happy to. Hahaha!

Sorry dude, I've no way to measure. But, based on the design and CG location, it's no surprise it launches higher really.

I thought you had provided measured lofts before. My bad. Maybe it was JB. Not sure.

Oh yes look at that spin. Sounds like i may have a shot to keep this airborn this weekend.

Back