Oncore Genius golf ball

that article reads like an advertisement

It very well could be. I didn't take it that way but I was thinking "how many times have I lamented this on the course"? A golf ball with GPS? I'd love it. Less for all the stats and data, I'd love just not to lose balls when I'm playing terrible.

Yup I'm in. Take my money please. The idea of all that data when firing live bullets on the course is something I very much would love to look at after a round.

It's definitely an interesting concept, although the price point would prevent it from main stream use. Personally, all that data would drive me nuts... like literally bat guano crazy. Even just having had the cobra connect on a driver this year, was enough to send me into a wild goose chase for optimization.

As long as it pops out of the water when I hit it in there, I'm in.

Certainly an interesting concept. That price makes it tough in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't use one on a water hole haha.

Great concept. I would try these balls, although at the rate in which I lose golf balls the price is too much to play them regularly.

Oncore Golf, local Buffalo company...I hope this helps get the word out on them because they offer quality golf balls.

It's a cool idea but at $25 a ball I'd only use it during practice rounds and on holes with zero chance to lose it.

Oncore Golf, local Buffalo company...I hope this helps get the word out on them because they offer quality golf balls.

It's a cool idea but at $25 a ball I'd only use it during practice rounds and on holes with zero chance to lose it.

Same here. I would use this ball for practice and only on wide fairways, I would not game it in play.

i've thought that the next phase in fitting would be launch monitor capabilities in the heads themselves, but putting this in the ball makes a lot more sense. the true test though will be how it feels and performs relative to someone's gamer ball. if i'm not mistaken, oncore didn't get great reviews around here because the sound and feel were very off-putting. think of how often people choose not to buy a club because of the way it sounds/feels. having a ball negatively contribute to that aspect of performance is a bad idea.

A challenge they will have is maintaining the balance of the ball. I think I am most interested in how they accomplish that.

A challenge they will have is maintaining the balance of the ball. I think I am most interested in how they accomplish that.

I agree, but the concept is interesting. However, the price has to come down if they are going to make it commercially

Advertising it as a ball that you can't lose is all well and good, but when it is stuck in the middle of the water, or in a place that you just physically can't access, then it isn't much help to you

Will the next step be an app on your phone that will tell you if you have hit your ball OB so that you know you definitely have to be playing 3 off the tee?

Which kinda defeats the point of using a ball that they advertise as not being able to lose, you might as well use your normal ball

Advertising it as a ball that you can't lose is all well and good, but when it is stuck in the middle of the water, or in a place that you just physically can't access, then it isn't much help to you

Will the next step be an app on your phone that will tell you if you have hit your ball OB so that you know you definitely have to be playing 3 off the tee?

Which kinda defeats the point of using a ball that they advertise as not being able to lose, you might as well use your normal ball

I think I would use it more as something to get data from during certain holes of a practice round.

When I say zero chance of losing it, I guess I meant just what you said, water or inaccessible areas that the GPS would not be of much help.

The company just released an update last week that the delays that have plagued the product are sadly continuing.

Will not be able to deliver this year and early talk is mid next year for a “lesser version”.

The company just released an update last week that the delays that have plagued the product are sadly continuing.

Will not be able to deliver this year and early talk is mid next year for a “lesser version”.
Current website says a release is in 2020 now. Smart money says it won’t be

Current website says a release is in 2020 now. Smart money says it won’t be

My issue is not with delays. My issue is with you took consumers money on the product, still haven’t delivered it yet, but instead of putting all resources there, went out and funded and raised more for other products. In my opinion that says you don’t care about the consumer.

My issue is not with delays. My issue is with you took consumers money on the product, still haven’t delivered it yet, but instead of putting all resources there, went out and funded and raised more for other products. In my opinion that says you don’t care about the consumer.
This this this this this.

I don't know if Oncore will be the company that delivers the product, but I really think this type of ball is the future of golf. All of the gauges and monitors needed to give us data like a launch monitor are already embedded in phones and small enough to stick inside of a golf ball. They are also getting cheaper by the hour so making a ball that can house a small power source, GPS, and a gyro to measure spin is the next frontier IMO. Also with augmented reality sun-glass products golf could really be very different in the very near future without a lot of expensive alterations to the course or the equipment necessary to play.

Small enough is one thing, not impacting the compression and performance while in the ball is a complete different one.

I don't know if Oncore will be the company that delivers the product, but I really think this type of ball is the future of golf. All of the gauges and monitors needed to give us data like a launch monitor are already embedded in phones and small enough to stick inside of a golf ball. They are also getting cheaper by the hour so making a ball that can house a small power source, GPS, and a gyro to measure spin is the next frontier IMO. Also with augmented reality sun-glass products golf could really be very different in the very near future without a lot of expensive alterations to the course or the equipment necessary to play.

I bet the technology is there but how many swings can it sustain? If it breaks after ten swings, was it worth it? What if it is short iron only?
Small enough is one thing, not impacting the compression and performance while in the ball is a complete different one.
I didn’t even think about this but to protect the tech you may have to make it an absolute rock.

not something I am even remotely interested in, add in the $50 per sleeve and you are out of your mind charging that much. I don't need GPS to tell me I lost a ball ob or it's at the bottom of the lake.

Back