Tony Finau's bunker shot, backstopping...

I lay you 10 to 1 that thought never crosses your mind. You would never think your ball could help another player.

Knowing him he would win that bet.

I also think of it all the time and am more than happy to hit my chip before someone can mark their ball if it is behind the hole and can help me, but won't as them not to mark it though.

Knowing him he would win that bet.

I also think of it all the time and am more than happy to hit my chip before someone can mark their ball if it is behind the hole and can help me, but won't as them not to mark it though.

I’m sorry, this is very hard for me to believe. It’s never not once been discussed on this forum. I’ve never played with anyone that has tried to use someone else’s ball to their advantage and I’ve not once heard this rule brought up. Apparently it does but it’s just so far fetched to me.

I have seen this discussed on golf club atlas before. Also it isn't trying to use someone else's ball to your advantage and aiming for the ball, it is the ball can only help you. You might have a 2% of hitting the pin and the ball might add a 1% chance of hitting it and stopping. Very small increase but still a help in the long run.

Last edited:
If he couldn't see the ball, maybe not. Kokrak could have said hold up I'm gonna mark that. He was 30 yards away. Wouldn't be a delay at all. I would argue that he should have.

He said he couldn't see the ball. No reason not to believe him. Is there?

This happened to Rickie Fowler in 2015 when he hit Spieth's ball and I don't remember any controversy whatsoever.

Tony Finau's bunker shot, backstopping...

I like Finau, I have no reason to doubt he is on the up and up. this is the first I heard about all of this. I mean some players might but if you can hit that target why not just get it in the hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ball was past the hole so if he hit it it was already past the hole, hence could only help. If the ball was in front of the hole he would have had it marked.

What I mean was couldn't he have hit his own ball past the ball on the green and had it come back, hit the ball from the other side, and been a long way away?

You make you playing mates mark there ball after they have chipped onto the green? I can count on one hand how many times I have asked for someone to mark their ball.

Only if it's in the line I am trying to hit. And not if it's way past the hole. They can if they want, but I am not going to ask them to go do it.

What I mean was couldn't he have hit his own ball past the ball on the green and had it come back, hit the ball from the other side, and been a long way away?

No, pretty sure it was a fried egg lie with the green going away. There was basically zero chance to get close unless he holed it, hit pin or hit the other ball.

Back