2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I saw an article recently talking about The Rock and his daily amount of fish and it was incredible lol total was like 10k calories if i remember

Edit: think it was more like 7k
See above
We could all eat what the rock eats if we worked out like him and had that muscle mass to fuel.
You are correct. When your job is to be in shape, you have no excuses

See above

You are correct. When your job is to be in shape, you have no excuses
Ah thats right, it was cod! An immense amount of cod lol

Kinda proud of myself, though a) I do like to celebrate small personal victories and b) I freely acknowledge it's nothing special out in the real world.

I lifted my bodyweight for the first time in my (52 yrs) life. Granted, it was just a hex bar/trap bar deadlift from the high handles, but hey! Ended up doing 190x3.

I have very weak skinny legs, always have, so that and my back are priority right now...but atm, I could not squat 190x1, or at least I couldn't stand back up :p. I could probably bench it but haven't tried, I've been doing 160 5x5.

Kinda proud of myself, though a) I do like to celebrate small personal victories and b) I freely acknowledge it's nothing special out in the real world.

I lifted my bodyweight for the first time in my (52 yrs) life. Granted, it was just a hex bar/trap bar deadlift from the high handles, but hey! Ended up doing 190x3.

I have very weak skinny legs, always have, so that and my back are priority right now...but atm, I could not squat 190x1, or at least I couldn't stand back up . I could probably bench it but haven't tried, I've been doing 160 5x5.
Good work. Celebrate the accomplishments. You reached a goal.

What's the next goal? How are you going to get there?

Side question, why the hex bar and not a barbell?

Nice to know I can take a long break from squats and still rep out a set at 225.

10 @ 135#
10 @ 185#
8 @ 205#
6 @ 225#
14 @ 175#

Then three sets of 10 machine hack squats @ 250#

Feeling pretty good, except for my damaged pinky toe no liking the pressure of the heavier squats.

Good work. Celebrate the accomplishments. You reached a goal.

What's the next goal? How are you going to get there?

Side question, why the hex bar and not a barbell?
I personally like the trap bar because you set up really nicely to just pull, no fuss, no destroyed sins. That I can get with straight bar, but I have to think about it a bit.

I personally like the trap bar because you set up really nicely to just pull, no fuss, no destroyed sins. That I can get with straight bar, but I have to think about it a bit.

I just moved from a sumo deadlift to standard - I've found it's better on my hips, and I don't have any issues w/ my back. I absolutely see where you're coming from with the shins.

I like the idea of a trap bar, but I prefer a standard bar. I find that the set up is more consistent with a straight bar. It's going to be the same everytime. I don't think that's possible with a hex bar.
I just moved from a sumo deadlift to standard - I've found it's better on my hips, and I don't have any issues w/ my back. I absolutely see where you're coming from with the shins.
Sumo...ugh. It's a competition variation that has none of the benefits of an actual deadlift.

I like the idea of a trap bar, but I prefer a standard bar. I find that the set up is more consistent with a straight bar. It's going to be the same everytime. I don't think that's possible with a hex bar.

Sumo...ugh. It's a competition variation that has none of the benefits of an actual deadlift.

It was more of a narrow leg variation that they had me move to due to some limitations I had at the time - not a true Sumo deadlift, but I enjoy doing the standard far more. I honestly don't care what the # I lift is, as long as it's higher than my previous number, so moving to the "true" sumo is not something I'm interested in.

It was more of a narrow leg variation that they had me move to due to some limitations I had at the time - not a true Sumo deadlift, but I enjoy doing the standard far more. I honestly don't care what the # I lift is, as long as it's higher than my previous number, so moving to the "true" sumo is not something I'm interested in.
Yup. Sumo is all glory, no substance.

Snatch grip deadlift from a deficit is probably the opposite of the sumo DL as far as usefulness goes. A lot of throwers place it above squats.

Snatch grip deadlift from a deficit is probably the opposite of the sumo DL as far as usefulness goes. A lot of throwers place it above squats.
Yes. a sumo grip DL is a wonderful submaximal lift.

Making a change per some requests. This thread has been retitled the Fitness and Working out Thread and there will be a separate Diet and Nutrition thread. I will send a PM to those that were requesting this letting them know it is done. Jman will be starting the Diet and Nutrition thread.

Thanks everybody, continue on.

I like the idea - I'll probably be active in both, but I think it's easier to have conversations on the two different topics separately.

I like the idea - I'll probably be active in both, but I think it's easier to have conversations on the two different topics separately.

When it was posed to me, it makes sense. People can enjoy both, and have conversations separately.

Yes. a sumo grip DL is a wonderful submaximal lift.

Typo, obviously. Don't all lifts have a potential maximum? Or, are all lifts lighter than one's best lift, sub-maximal? I'd argue that a def. SGDL is a more useful lift than even a conventional DL (especially for a golfer with a caddy).

When it was posed to me, it makes sense. People can enjoy both, and have conversations separately.
Yeah, agreed.

Typo, obviously. Don't all lifts have a potential maximum? Or, are all lifts lighter than one's best lift, sub-maximal? I'd argue that a def. SGDL is a more useful lift than even a conventional DL (especially for a golfer with a caddy).
When I say "submaximal" what I mean is that, a person can usually lift more weight with a standard deadlift. The snatch grip variation works many of the same muscle groups, but the variation makes it near impossible to lift the same amount as the close grip variation.

Submaximal isn't a bad thing.

I think that the strength gained with a standard deadlift and incorporating a submaximaL lift like a SLDL, snatch grip, Romanian DLs, or a power clean for recovery is a very good idea for everybody. Not just golfers.

When I say "submaximal" what I mean is that, a person can usually lift more weight with a standard deadlift. The snatch grip variation works many of the same muscle groups, but the variation makes it near impossible to lift the same amount as the close grip variation.

Submaximal isn't a bad thing.

I think that the strength gained with a standard deadlift and incorporating a submaximaL lift like a SLDL, snatch grip, Romanian DLs, or a power clean for recovery is a very good idea for everybody. Not just golfers.

I see where you're coming from. Thanks.

As I'm new, I'm not fully aware of what has gone on in the longer threads. Has 'how much strength does a golfer really need' been covered in this discussion?

I see where you're coming from. Thanks.

As I'm new, I'm not fully aware of what has gone on in the longer threads. Has 'how much strength does a golfer really need' been covered in this discussion?
It hasn't been talked about. I'm of the ilk that there is no such thing as too much strength. Flexibility can be maintained while getting strong. It's all about how a person trains.

I had my wife add me onto our family membership at the Y last night. So I'll be headed back to the gym on a regular schedule for the first time since I tore my meniscus 3 years ago. I'm going to take it VERY easy the first few weeks, mostly the bike and very light weights just to get back in the swing of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It hasn't been talked about. I'm of the ilk that there is no such thing as too much strength. Flexibility can be maintained while getting strong. It's all about how a person trains.

I don't think there's such a thing as too much strength, either. The problem comes with the potential costs of acquiring it (recovery time, etc.). I don't think a strong golfer is ever close to operating at limit strength, so the benefit of strength in golf is the act of hitting a golf ball takes less energy for the strong golfer than it does for the weak golfer. I think the same can be said of flexibility. The more flexible a golfer, the more options he has for swing arc, rotation, etc., but a golfer need not be able to lick his own butt (tempting as that may be) in order to be well flexible enough for the game.

Why trap/hex bar? Sorta longish story. So as we know, I started working out just shy of 6 months ago but I didn't really have a lifting plan - just go hike weights around until I was happy. I did minimal reading, and did lots of non-core isolation type stuff - yay curls. I knew I should squat and DL but both those lifts I have essentially no experience with and honestly was scared of injury, so I did a few light weight squats and no DLs.

Then I saw a video of Rory using a hex bar. To that point, I didn't know such a thing existed. I knew immediately I wanted one, and went got one - this would be 3 months ago or so. I got 2 35lb and 2 10lb plates with it, and the bar itself is 60lb. When I first got it home, I could hardly lift it with the 35lbers on board (130 total). Now I think I could do that amount 25x easily.

I completely understand that it's not a substitute for a straight bar DL...it's more a hybrid of squat + DL, maybe closer to a rack pull. I have done a little bit of straight bar DL and will do more in future, but for now I am comfortable getting stronger using the hex bar. I have no problems being consistent with form, I don't know why anyone would. Grip in the middle of the handles, stick rear end as far down as possible, keep a straight back and tight core, push heels through the earth and get hips forward ASAP. Easy peasy. If I overdo it, I can very easily feel myself losing form, mostly in my lower back. And I stop immediately, same as any other lift where I lose form (overhead press, squat, whatever), I'm not in this for a bad injury.

Next goal, probably back squat same 190....though I'll get there first with a bench press if I try it. And I'll be trying some heavier hex bar lifts, but the 190 squat is the actual goal. I've done 150 but am still learning proper feel and form for squat. I've had a full cage about 2 months now, so only relatively recently doing squats with any amount of weight. I only work out at home.

Weighed myself this morning and gained 2lbs woot woot!! At 178 now and still pushing towards my goal. I missed yesterdays workout so tonight I did it( Wednesday is when I switch / alternate some exercises, everything 3x10)

Barbell bench
Barbell shoulder press
Cable rows (deadlift other 2 days)
Dumbell lunges (squat other 2 days)
Hammer curls
Tricep rope pulldown.

Not the biggest lunge fan but they kick my ass after the first set. I alternate to give myself a little break before hitting the squats and deads again Friday.

Weighed myself this morning and gained 2lbs woot woot!! At 178 now and still pushing towards my goal. I missed yesterdays workout so tonight I did it( Wednesday is when I switch / alternate some exercises, everything 3x10)

Barbell bench
Barbell shoulder press
Cable rows (deadlift other 2 days)
Dumbell lunges (squat other 2 days)
Hammer curls
Tricep rope pulldown.

Not the biggest lunge fan but they kick my ass after the first set. I alternate to give myself a little break before hitting the squats and deads again Friday.
keep it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back