What are Some "Facts" in Golf that are Actually False?

Ball above your feet always goes left.

Humidity means heavy air, which means less distance.

False. I read somewhere humidity actually increases distance, but that its negligible at best.

~Rock

That "Game Improvement Irons" will actually improve your game (or any other piece of equipment for that matter).

Golf is a dying business

That "Game Improvement Irons" will actually improve your game (or any other piece of equipment for that matter).

How's that bag full of persimmon woods working for you?

How's that bag full of persimmon woods working for you?
To play devil's advocate. Has your handicap dropped a noticeable amount since getting the latest and greatest?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

To play devil's advocate. Has your handicap dropped a noticeable amount since getting the latest and greatest?

25% since I changed out my driver.

25% since I changed out my driver.
Well done. That's quite impressive. I'd be willing to bet a good amount that 25% change is very high and not the average tho.

Well done. That's quite impressive. I'd be willing to bet a good amount that 25% change is very high and not the average tho.

We're confusing the issue. Most golfers don't have meaningful improvement because of their swing. The statement that new equipment doesn't help is just not accurate. Because the average handicap hasn't decreased we make unfounded assumption this means equipment isn't helping.

It’s not so big when you figure he went from a 4 to a 3. He used “25%” to make it sound like it’s more than it is.

Tour Pros only swing 75% -

We're confusing the issue. Most golfers don't have meaningful improvement because of their swing. The statement that new equipment doesn't help is just not accurate. Because the average handicap hasn't decreased we make unfounded assumption this means equipment isn't helping.
I guess for me it's hard to say it helps then. I mean I suppose it could depend on an individual's personal goals. Is it to hit more quality shots during a round or is it to shoot the lowest possible number? For me I don't care how many good shots I take during around. I have an expectation of where I want to he score wise and if I'm not there I'm not happy. So if new clubs help promote better or less penal shots, but not better scores, are they really helping?

It’s not so big when you figure he went from a 4 to a 3. He used “25%” to make it sound like it’s more than it is.

Because it's easy to get to a 3.

In his defense shaving a stroke off when you're under a 5 cap it's a lot of work. I'm there now. It's taken me all year to go from 3.4 to 2.4 so I won't say that's a small amount. But I get what you're saying.

Just to clarify, you missed my point. It had nothing to do with technology or golf swings. I was pointing out that just because a company says you hit it 10 yards farther with the latest and greatest, doesn’t make it true for everyone. That’s why I added “or any piece of equipment”. The bottom line is golfers should assume nothing and get fit.

I am a believer that the right equipment for the individual can help their game.

I guess for me it's hard to say it helps then. I mean I suppose it could depend on an individual's personal goals. Is it to hit more quality shots during a round or is it to shoot the lowest possible number? For me I don't care how many good shots I take during around. I have an expectation of where I want to he score wise and if I'm not there I'm not happy. So if new clubs help promote better or less penal shots, but not better scores, are they really helping?

I would argue the majority of golfers are going to shoot better scores if they are hitting them longer and straighter.

I would argue the majority of golfers are going to shoot better scores if they are hitting them longer and straighter.
If that's the case how come the handicaps haven't dropped? I understand there's a gazillion variables involved but I just don't think new clubs really change someone's game all that much. Once the honeymoon period is over it's on the golfer, not the clubs to get the job done.

If that's the case how come the handicaps haven't dropped? I understand there's a gazillion variables involved but I just don't think new clubs really change someone's game all that much. Once the honeymoon period is over it's on the golfer, not the clubs to get the job done.

Because you're always going to have people leaving the game and taking up the game. We're not dealing with a static number of players. The equilibrium exists because the constant wave.

And anyone with sense would argue that just because something is labeled “game improvement” will not guarantee that everyone will hit it longer or straighter (much less both). It’s too broad of an assumption and golf swings are too different.

But also based on that you could argue that game improvement irons are not going necessarily improve their games. It's a complete chicken or egg thing. Am I playing well because of my swing or the equipment? New equipment can help produce better ball speeds, higher launch, and be more forgiving, all which can help 99% of the golfers out there. But that doesn't mean its going to improve their actual game. His statement was that game improvement irons will actually improve your game, and I just don't believe that to be absolute fact. I think they can and have the ability to improve one's game, but without better habits, significant improvement is not a guarantee.

Because you're always going to have people leaving the game and taking up the game. We're not dealing with a static number of players. The equilibrium exists because the constant wave.
I definitely see your side of it buddy. And agree with certain aspects but as a whole just can't get behind it. I see it too often at the range. But definitely can't understand the thought process that newer technology makes the game easier.

And anyone with sense would argue that just because something is labeled “game inprovement” will not guarantee that everyone will hit it longer or straighter (much less both). It’s too broad of an assumption and golf swings are too different.
Tell me about it lol I have to unload my AP3 4 iron. I just can't hit the damn thing! Lol for me I'd label that club as super unimprovement club lol.

But also based on that you could argue that game improvement irons are not going necessarily improve their games. It's a complete chicken or egg thing. Am I playing well because of my swing or the equipment? New equipment can help produce better ball speeds, higher launch, and be more forgiving, all which can help 99% of the golfers out there. But that doesn't mean its going to improve their actual game. His statement was that game improvement irons will actually improve your game, and I just don't believe that to be absolute fact. I think they can and have the ability to improve one's game, but without better habits, significant improvement is not a guarantee.

Not gonna disagree. I was disagreeing with the blankent statement that they won't help.

Humidity means heavy air, which means less distance.

False. I read somewhere humidity actually increases distance, but that its negligible at best.

~Rock

I had a friend from Florida come visit me and play a round of golf together. He is a 3 or 5 HDCPer and on many of his shots he was saying that his shots were a club short, and that down in humid Florida that club would have worked for that shot.

Back