What are Some "Facts" in Golf that are Actually False?

Just to clarify, you missed my point. It had nothing to do with technology or golf swings. I was pointing out that just because a company says you hit it 10 yards farther with the latest and greatest, doesn’t make it true for everyone. That’s why I added “or any piece of equipment”. The bottom line is golfers should assume nothing and get fit.

I am a believer that the right equipment for the individual can help their game.

Which brings us to another "fact", high handicap golfers don't need to be fit for clubs. They do, many would argue they would benefit the most from fittings.

Tell me about it lol I have to unload my AP3 4 iron. I just can't hit the damn thing! Lol for me I'd label that club as super unimprovement club lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

i'm not sure that's fair, unless you're not being serious. at your skill level, to say you can't hit the ap3 4i means it's either a bad fit for your swing or mentally you're not committing to it. you have the ability to make anything work, evidenced by your success with blades.

i'm not sure that's fair, unless you're not being serious. at your skill level, to say you can't hit the ap3 4i means it's either a bad fit for your swing or mentally you're not committing to it. you have the ability to make anything work, evidenced by your success with blades.
Haha ya I was just busting buddy. Actually I was planning on typing up my thoughts on the AP3 tonight after work. It's a fantastic iron for what it's designed to do but for this guy whether not a good fit or mental block I just can't seem to find consistent success with it for some odd reason which is a real bummer for me honestly.

I would argue the majority of golfers are going to shoot better scores if they are hitting them longer and straighter.

but only if their swing stays the same, most armatures swing will not be consistent enough over time to really tell if it is equipment or swing

"amateurs shouldn't play blades"

This one bothers me. In a game where we're constantly taught to "swing your swing" you should be able to play whatever clubs you like best.

Haha ya I was just busting buddy. Actually I was planning on typing up my thoughts on the AP3 tonight after work. It's a fantastic iron for what it's designed to do but for this guy whether not a good fit or mental block I just can't seem to find consistent success with it for some odd reason which is a real bummer for me honestly.

can't design away the brain, my man! it don't matter how good the iron is, if you don't trust it it's garbage in your hands. hoping you find something you can slot in at the 4i spot. maybe t-mb?

Which brings us to another "fact", high handicap golfers don't need to be fit for clubs. They do, many would argue they would benefit the most from fittings.

i've heard from several fitters that the sweet spot for maximizing results from a fitting is the 10-18 cap range. but for whatever reason that demographic hasn't "bought into" the benefits of fitting.

And anyone with sense would argue that just because something is labeled “game improvement” will not guarantee that everyone will hit it longer or straighter (much less both). It’s too broad of an assumption and golf swings are too different.

Straighter is a swing issue. Give me higher ball speed across the face on mishits any day though.

can't design away the brain, my man! it don't matter how good the iron is, if you don't trust it it's garbage in your hands. hoping you find something you can slot in at the 4i spot. maybe t-mb?
Actually I already ordered an AP2 4 iron so we will see how that goes! Haven't had many issues with the 5 so I'm hoping it works out, if not I'll really swallow my pride and order a 4 hybo for the slot.

Ignoring grain putts break downhill, gravity is funny like that. That ends up being towards water on many occasions, but if they wanted to mess with it they can build greens against the typical lay of the land to really mess with people.

And anyone with sense would argue that just because something is labeled “game improvement” will not guarantee that everyone will hit it longer or straighter (much less both). It’s too broad of an assumption and golf swings are too different.

Game improvement isn’t about longer and straighter. It’s about less penal misses when not hit on the screws. Game improvement irons are designed to keep the ball in the playing field. Not everyone that games them will see improvements but a large number will.

Putting trumps distance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Keep your lead arm straight.
Don't swing past parallel on the backswing.
Lead wrist must be flat at the top of the swing.

Golf is an expensive and exclusive sport.

I definitely see your side of it buddy. And agree with certain aspects but as a whole just can't get behind it. I see it too often at the range. But definitely can't understand the thought process that newer technology makes the game easier.

To me with basically the same poor swing (but slower) the newer clubs definitely improve what I can get out of what I have to work with. Not necessarily g.i. irons but better tech all around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If that's the case how come the handicaps haven't dropped? I understand there's a gazillion variables involved but I just don't think new clubs really change someone's game all that much. Once the honeymoon period is over it's on the golfer, not the clubs to get the job done.

it may be the average level of golf has improved but golfers who keep handicaps are a distinct subset of golfers overall. I think of the people that I golf with regularly, there are 6 who keep handicaps and of those, I think Paul golfed maybe 2-3 times this year and one of the guys has an artificially high handicap as he pretty much only golfs in tournaments that are best ball, 2 ball, 4 ball, or other formats where his score is not recorded. SO if he were playing and reporting solo rounds, his cap would probably be 4 points lower. Meanwhile, I play with probably a dozen people at various times who do not keep caps and even larger number who golf maybe 2-3 times this year, none next, one the year after...

I would wager of those keeping Handicaps, the only one who maintains one now that historically speaking would not have is me. Having something like the Grint lets me roll one without all the rigamarole of joining a course, having them do computations, etc. Now, my experience is purely anecdotal, but IF, and that is a big if, it is reflective of the experience at large, then one reason caps are not changing is because the golfers most likely to see improvement from these clubs are golfers who are not recording handicaps. Those dedicated enough to the game previously are not going to see as much improvement so it will not reflect in the caps

Keep your head down.

You think Justin Thomas isnt swinging 100% with the driver?

No, I think he is and there is always exceptions to the rule. A good number of pro aren’t swinging at 100%. And that was the jest of my statement.

No, I think he is and there is always exceptions to the rule. A good number of pro aren’t swinging at 100%. And that was the jest of my statement.

Ah gotcha. I was gonna say lol that man literally leaves the ground at impact

Back