What are Some "Facts" in Golf that are Actually False?

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Saw a similar topic on Reddit today and thought it would be fun to have a golf edition. Feel free to add or if you have a question you are not sure on here is the chance to educate.

The break always goes towards the water.

All up hill putts break right and all day an Hill putts break left.

Shanks are ‘this’ close to a perfect shot

Low launch rising shot shot with the driver is a good ball flight.

You can't hit it far with a fade.

teeing up your iron shots on par 3's will help you hit more greens

I've heard some things about jacked lofts...

Eyes over the ball is the best way to putt

The average PGA Tour pro hits up on the ball with his driver.

And one more,

More practice equals better results.

99.9% of short putts do not go in....oh wait...that one might be true...lol

Closer to the hole is always better.

If you one putt every green, you will shoot lower scores, Oh crap, that one is correct!!!!

If you one putt every green, you will shoot lower scores, Oh crap, that one is correct!!!!

Not if it takes you 10 to get there.

More practice equals better results.

This one resonates with me. Turns out I am bad at practice. I’ve gone to the range less than I ever have and shot my lowest score this year.

If you work at a golf course, you will play more often.

Works if you are a marshal.

I wish I could find out if that one is true!!

Actually my buddy is a pro and GM and he never gets to play, according to him
Most don't very often. The GM at the course we work part time at now played maybe five times this year.

Keep your head down.

"No amateur ever hits it 300 yards..."

I'm uninspired tonight. I'm trying to think of things my dad used to say. I stopped him right d... now on the first one. I'm trying to recall others but failing. He's now more forgiving on the first account though, lol! Earlier this season when we played together (haven't played a round with him in probably 12-15 years prior) I let him laser the tee from my ball mark after a well struck drive. Flight was 318 (total distance 317, very soft conditions, :) ).

"Amateurs always miss on the low side"-mostly true. I finally have a legit game and I usually miss here (if missing a birdie putt, leave it easy-hell that might even be from him too- so I do!)

"Premium Golf balls don't make any difference". Yeah right. Again from my dad when he was playing a water Slazenger-or similar. They don't make a dang bit of difference if you top, toe, heel, or thin it. If you hit it solid and/or can spin the magic bean, it makes a metric butt ton.

"Drive for show and putt for dough". Somewhat true. Doesn't take into account that without driving for "show" you can't putt for "dough".

"I hate this course" -true. He literally hates every single course and it's always inherently unfair. I never hear this complaint though when he's playing well. Took him out to a top course about a month ago. He didn't even want to go, 20 years ago he heard me talk about how hard it was (it ain't easy but it's doable and very fair) and made up his mind then and there that he'd hate it. Finally got a chance to take him out on it, he played horribly, and blamed it on the course. When I told him that no matter where he played, if he played like that he wasn't going to be happy, yet he still insisted that this course wasn't good. (Top rated course he's ever played... by far).

Lol! Hurry up and heal up dad! I miss playing golf with you! (Key and of the utmost!).

You have to hit down on the ball to compress it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spin with irons is created by "pinching" the ball against the turf

Back