Does it matter where you play?

Reasonable conditions will do but I really want the group to have fun!

Certainly play this course as it is close and a good value but mix in different courses that are more challenging to your game. For me, this has helped my game a lot. Tim

Some would say that playing 9 holes is better than the hitting range and I guess to me that is where a course like this comes into play. I wouldn't want to go there for anything really than to just get some live action swings and certainly wouldn't be bringing people to play there. Glad to see I'm not alone in my thinking

Depends what I'm wanting to do. If it's just to work on stuff, I don't mind the goat track, because I'm not worried about the score. When I care about score, I'll play a bit nicer.

During the winter time though when rates triple, goat tracks are what keep me somewhat sane. I can only hit balls and work on short game for so long before I just get stir crazy

I’m not playing a goat track and would always pay more to play something better.

I want to play a nice course if I am playing. I would much rather pay more and play at a better place than get a bargain. Especially if I am traveling at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am getting kind of snobby about it anymore and prefer to at least have good greens to play on, but I have played a lot of golf on goat tracks here in town where it is cheap and close by (5 minutes to 3 courses) and have played some literal goat tracks in Peru and Chile with incredibly bad rental clubs but they were really fun rounds.

100% muni's or cheaper private courses all for about $15 max per 9 holes for me.

It's everyone's choice what they do and there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm surprised at how many people are disinterested in "normal" courses. The muni's here are actually pretty nice IMO.

Dave

As long as I'm playing with a good group or good friends it's not a super huge deal. I'm always going to prefer a well maintained course though. Time is limited for me to play for, I want to play the best places conditions I can when I actually get out.

I really like to seek out interesting golf courses. I really feel like I waste a round if it is on a course that doesn’t interest me. That being said I’m my area you are rarely finding anything under $50. I would rather pay $70 and really enjoy the round.

Normally I would say no, but after this weekend, I added another "never again' course to my list of places I'll refuse to play golf for the rest of my life.

Nothing set up well for my eye, I drove through fairways, pins on shelves... 400 yard+ par fours that I had to hit a hybrid off the tee to avoid going into a hazard. It just wasn't for me.

Yeah I prefer to play interesting and engaging tracks in good condition, but will play any where since it's all golf.

It matters to me in terms of not wanting to play run down or I kept courses. I'll not say I won't play munis bc some munis maintained better than some supposed high end courses.

A course gets once shot at my business. If they grounds aren't kept or just overall lack of attention to detail, highly unlikely I return.

Playability wise I can play any layout. I hate blind shots or gimmicky holes, but overall anything I play I'm good at navigating even if it's my first time.

I agree with a few of the earlier posts in that I’m always trying to find good deals or play my favorite public courses for cheap near my house. However when I travel or play with friends that I don’t always get to play with, I like to up the ante and play a really nice course.

I'll play anywhere not named Ledgeview

dog track? that's just natural character

I like nicer courses mostly for pace of play...sure I like nice greens and fairways that are not all beat up, but nothing ruins a good round faster than waiting 10 minutes for every shot.

My home course, while 40 miles away, takes pace of play seriously and the course always in good condition...and the people I meet there are all very nice.

But today I played a muni course and it was pretty fun...I didn't even know you could play golf for 33.00 anymore.

I've given up dog track golf. Once I started hitting in-embarrassing shots, I migrated to well kept courses. I have become a greens snob; I really love consistent and smooth greens. Such a fun part of the game for me.

Not really. If I'm golfing I'm happy. I mean of course I'd rather play a better course but it doesn't matter too much

Got me thinking. I want to say it doesn't matter much, but there are some lesser courses around here that I could play that I seem to find a reason not to. Suspect that in the back of my mind it's because the ranges there are very poorly maintained.

As long as the course is decently maintained to where it can't be mistaken for a swamp, quarry, or mortar range and isn't a place where you should plan on losing a dozen balls I think I should be fine with it if the pricing is fair.

I'm going to have to give some of those tracks I haven't visited for a while a try.

I don't care about the title or the prestige of a course. As long as it's in good shape and a fun layout, I'll play anywhere. That "good shape" part tends to put you towards nicer courses to begin with anyway though.

At this point I will take just being able to play when I can. I am happy playing at a goat track or the nicest country club out there.

As others have said, I've got limited chances to get out with friends so we usually play somewhere decent. There are some muni's we play that conditions rival private tracks. Torn up tee boxes and bunkers hard as bath tubs will push me away.

It matters very much to me. My home club isn’t top notch by any stretch but it’s where we all play and practice. The men’s league is outstanding. Now when we travel, we travel to top notch courses. I won’t play dog tracks, just not fun and way too many options.

That’s me to a tee. I love my home course but when I’m not playing there I only want to play nice courses. I’ve paid a greens fee at some courses and just left after a few holes because there was absolutely nothing appealing about the course.

That’s me to a tee. I love my home course but when I’m not playing there I only want to play nice courses. I’ve paid a greens fee at some courses and just left after a few holes because there was absolutely nothing appealing about the course.

I’ve done that and just cursed the guy who made the tee time and complained. He got the point and didn’t do that again.

It matters very much to me. My home club isn’t top notch by any stretch but it’s where we all play and practice. The men’s league is outstanding. Now when we travel, we travel to top notch courses. I won’t play dog tracks, just not fun and way too many options.
I'm in this boat too. My home course is solid and I don't have much desire to travel around and play goat tracks.
My league travels around and leads me to enough questionable courses as it is.

Back