Does it matter where you play?

Majority of rounds are at the course 3 minutes from my house. Not very long or hard (6481 70.5/116) but cheap on golf now and I am lazy so I go there. Doesn't help my game in the long run though.

On the good side the fairways are 20-25 yards wise and the greens are small so almost every other course I play the fairways seem wide and the greens big.

I just love playing

Last edited:
Not really I just love to play. As long as the pace is good I am ok. I would rather play a dog track in 2.5 hours than a top 100 course in 5 hours.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree with a few of the earlier posts in that I’m always trying to find good deals or play my favorite public courses for cheap near my house. However when I travel or play with friends that I don’t always get to play with, I like to up the ante and play a really nice course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep that's what I was thinking, I am always looking for those hidden gems that are off the beaten track. Sometimes that has ended up bad playing some dreadful tracks but I scout alone usually.

Only thing that bugs me about dog tracks (I've always called them goat farms myself), is the green complexes. Most munis around here have tiny greens. I suspect that is the most expensive part to build? But man, some of them are just postage stamps. Otherwise, tee to green, it's all golf to me. I can hit out of the woods anywhere!

USGA standard greens are massively expensive. So much so you can actually depreciate there value on the course tax returns for like 20 years or so. If the course is on a great site with perfect sand they are cheap. I think I saw Sand Hills the C&C course in the midwest cost under 1k a green, they just basically just took the site and seeded it.

I like to play different courses, I will play anywhere but I always give a course two tries before I cross it off my list. A lot can change between two rounds that might make you change your mind. The course I love to play and it just so happens is closest to my house has been known as a goat track for a long time, it's short, no range etc. A different management team took it over two years ago and have it in great shape, especially the greens, I don't want the secret to get out.

I play as a single mostly and will usually base my decision on how big the crowds are. I'd rather play someplace less crowded so I can play fast and or camp out on a hole and test gear.

Kind of ironic as I sit here this morning trying to find some place to play. I only have time for 9 holes this morning and a lot of the better courses around me won't allow you to play 9 holes before 1pm so it looks like I'm headed to the course I mentioned in my original post. I'm not thrilled about it but will be happy to be on the course and based on their available tee times there won't be many people out there so thats a bonus

Doesnt matter much to me as long as the pace isnt slow which normally isnt the place at lower priced courses whwre you get all walks of life out there

Living where I do, I’m fortunate to have a ton of options to play. Some high dollar (only a few are worth it) and then some have good value for residents. It doesn’t really matter where I play because even the easier courses have their own challenges that still make the game fun.

That said, there are like 2 or 3 courses here that are usually the last ones I look at when going to play. Either due to typical conditions or price. One course is really nice but they don’t give good resident prices and it’s no better than a few other courses I can play here that are almost half the price, but they feed off the tourist value. Just wish they would cut a break for residents.

If I travel outside my home courses I prefer where I play to be nice. But, it’s always fun to play a horrible course as well, long as it’s cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I travel outside my home courses I prefer where I play to be nice. But, it’s always fun to play a horrible course as well, long as it’s cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s funny whenever I go home to Lynchburg, va I always make sure I go play the course I kinda grew up playing. It’s a rinky dink little 9 hole course that isn’t a challenge, but it brings back good memories. Plus now I realize how short it is and I can play from the tips with basically a 3 iron (not a long hitter either)

I prefer to pay a little extra if it gets me on a nicer and more interesting course.

Not really, I can suck anywhere. Lol.

Around where I live, it doesn't really matter. When I travel to somewhere different, I will try to play nicer courses.

I generally play most of my rounds on the same 3 courses ( one course has 36 holes). They range from 20-50 minutes drive time from the house. Not a big deal as I look at golf as a day. I do love trying new places though. The variety is what is unique to golf in that you have so many different places to play that are all so different from each other. Unlike other sports where the court or field is always basically the same thing just in a different place.

I have a half dozen I play regularly and another dozen I’ll play once or twice a year. I often say the the most important quality a course needs is sparse crowds but as I gain more experience I do appreciate nice layout.
I had an interesting thing happen a couple of weeks ago, I got to play one of the local private courses. This one is just down the street and for years I’ve looked longingly through the gates at lush green fairways and empty tee boxes. It turns out the place is no better than the next two public courses down the road. Boy was I fooled; turns out the only that made this place unique is the size of the houses surrounding it, no thanks.

Last edited:
I have found that I don't care as much as I used to about where I play. I don't like slow rounds, so that comes into play, but I'm more forgiving on course quality. I just like being out and playing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think both comfort level and the course make a difference. My main course I play my best and know the greens well. I also play a much more budget course that should be technically easier however the greens are so hard the ball is almost impossible to stop. I have to hit before the green to hold.

Back