Does it matter where you play?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been thinking about this as the season winds down here. I have a golf course about 10 mins from my house, its nothing special, there is no practice area but there is 54 holes to play. You rarely need to reserve a tee time, its fairly short, by most standards its fairly easy and its kept in decent shape for an often played public course. Its also fairly inexpensive ($15 for 9 holes walking). In fact I actually play my league rounds here as well, but I often find myself wanting to play something better, something that is more of a challenge, but in order to do that I have drive at least 30 mins and pay roughly double to play the same game.

So I ask you THP does it matter where you play? Your still swinging the clubs and hitting all the shots, when does location, quality and price make a difference to you?

I play 75% of my rounds on my home course. I do enjoy getting out around KS and playing different courses not only for the challenge but for the different scenery. I drive 90 miles at least once a month sometimes twice to play with a good friend, definitely worth it.

Yep it does. Hawaii notoriously known for carts only and I love me some walking. So that leaves me with few choices. I tend gravitate towards the muni and military courses. Really don't have a home course but 90% of my golf is played at the muni across the street. $26 on the weekend other courses are $80+.

It matters very much to me. My home club isn’t top notch by any stretch but it’s where we all play and practice. The men’s league is outstanding. Now when we travel, we travel to top notch courses. I won’t play dog tracks, just not fun and way too many options.

It matters very much to me. My home club isn’t top notch by any stretch but it’s where we all play and practice. The men’s league is outstanding. Now when we travel, we travel to top notch courses. I won’t play dog tracks, just not fun and way too many options.

I am the same way Freddie, call me a snob but I have no interest in playing a dog track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am the same way Freddie, call me a snob but I have no interest in playing a dog track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a choice of playing a nice track vs a dog track and can afford it, why wouldn’t you?

It matters to me. I want a quality course in good conditions.

I'm not rich, most courses I play are on the cheaper side. A few times a year we will play some "nicer" courses and spend some more money but it honestly does not bother me in what course I play. It is nice to play some great courses every once in a while but honestly I get more mad if I don't play well when I shell out top dollar for those courses.

I have been thinking about this as the season winds down here. I have a golf course about 10 mins from my house, its nothing special, there is no practice area but there is 54 holes to play. You rarely need to reserve a tee time, its fairly short, by most standards its fairly easy and its kept in decent shape for an often played public course. Its also fairly inexpensive ($15 for 9 holes walking). In fact I actually play my league rounds here as well, but I often find myself wanting to play something better, something that is more of a challenge, but in order to do that I have drive at least 30 mins and pay roughly double to play the same game.

So I ask you THP does it matter where you play? Your still swinging the clubs and hitting all the shots, when does location, quality and price make a difference to you?

It depends on the company I am with.

As long as the course is not beat up I am somewhat ok with anything. My backyard course is mehhh some greens are not good so I tend to not play there.Overall for me golf is an experience and I would rather experience something nice if I have the choice.

I'm not too particular in where I play. I've got 4 courses located within about a 15 minute drive from me, so they get action if I'm looking to go out on my own quickly.

The guy who I've played the vast majority of my rounds with this summer, decided we wanted to play as many courses in central Ohio as possible. I think we're up to 35 different courses with the longest distance traveled being an hour. Not all of them are top notch stellar courses, but not all are dog tracks. If I'm swinging a club I'm happy!

Depends on who I'm with but mostly I don't tend to play dog tracks. I like to see a nice course over one that is cheap and has nothing to it

Yes it does matter. There are courses that are notoriously slow....I stay away from these courses. There are courses are too tight with lots of beginner hackers..... balls flying all over the place....again I stay away from these courses.

But there are courses where they are cheap, well kept condition and not as crowded.

It kinda matters to me, I look for the best course for the money and end up there. I have banned a few courses in my area for charging the same rates as other courses in much better condition. Hate cash cow courses.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Yes it matters to me. I like challenging courses that have a variety of types of holes, fast greens, good conditions, and most importantly good pace of play. Could I still have fun at a dog track, absolutely with the right group of people, but I definitely prefer nicer courses.

It does matter. If I'm playing 18 and not out practicing or joining up with old friends and playing the courses on base I have several courses I prefer to play

Only thing that bugs me about dog tracks (I've always called them goat farms myself), is the green complexes. Most munis around here have tiny greens. I suspect that is the most expensive part to build? But man, some of them are just postage stamps. Otherwise, tee to green, it's all golf to me. I can hit out of the woods anywhere!

It matters huge where I play. As of Nov 1st they are closing my little 9 hole golf course (5800yds). It's always been my go to. My other two closest golf courses can play much longer if I choose but no shot is easy or simple, no fairway is flat, and the cost is about 3 times as much. It really does matter where I am located. I'll have to drive 40 minutes to avoid playing these two courses from time to time.

It definitely matters to me. I won't play somewhere if greens are known to be just crap. Sure I prefer certain layouts, etc. but decent greens are a requirement.

If I'm in really great company it doesn't matter, the golf kind of becomes secondary. If the main objective is golf then absolutely it does. Most of the time it matters and when the company is great along with the course it just doesn't get any better.

For me it matters, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to golf courses, restaurants and hotels, well cars too, oh and houses and watches. Ok back to the question, I fall into the life is too short camp to do things half way so if I'm going to play and steal the time from something else it better be on a good course, great conditions, and in a solid environment. Once annoyances creep in I stop having a good time so if there is something about the course, the management, the clientele that is going to bug me I might as well just avoid the experience all together.

Yes it matters to me.
My "home course" is one of the better muni courses in the area and it's right across the street, so I feel lucky.
There are a couple of dog tracks in the area and I won't give them a dime. Why would I when I can play a well maintained, challenging yet fun course for the same money?
I also enjoy playing on a higher end course from time to time as well.

Going out to practice on the course by myself, no! I don't care. I used to practice at a course that was almost a pasture.
But when I'm teeing it up with friends or just out to enjoy a round, I want a nicer course.

I have precisely 2 choices within a reasonable driving distance. One that it a good public course kept up reasonably well that fits my soon to be retired budget. The other is a much, much more expensive private club that is in a little better condition day to day but the layout is no more challenging than the public course. I could afford to be a member while I am gainfully employed. I have opted to be a member of the public course all 9 years I have lieved there. As long as a course has a good layout and is kept up reasonably well, I am perfectly fine with playing the game I love on it.

Back