Tour Edge Exotics CBX FW Wood Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great write-up, and that's definitely a sharp looking club. The Speed Ramp Sole definitely looks and sounds like it will allow more golfers to hit this one better off the deck. Low spin and low launch however don't put this one in my wheelhouse, unfortunately. Still, I'm sure a lot of golfers will enjoy bagging this one.

Great review James. Sounds like a very solid offering. Anytime the word "monster" is used in describing a club, one has to stop and take notice. Would love to try one paired with Hzrdus Red.

General question I guess.

The lack of adjustability is that a problem at this price point? I've gotten so used to having the ability to tinker with clubs after purchasing them that going away from it is scary.

I like how you described it as all business though.

Thanks for the review Jman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Damn this thing sounds phenomenal. 16 yards better than competitors is HUGE. I'm just getting back into the FW wood market and have heard nothing but great things about all the TEE offerings. Great time for consumers.

Great review as usual James. Really a great looking club, and Im glad that it is more of an off the deck option now as well. The spin killer scares me but definitely would lie to try it out and see what kind of distance we are talking.

Very well written James. I love the HZRDUS pairing and the smaller footprint. I loved the EX10 and if this is better this is something I need to go hit.

That was a great review. I may have to consider this as a new gift to myself. To Santa From Santa

Great review James - Got to think a 13.5* off the tee would be a "Monster"

Great stuff James, overtime I see this line that sole just sticks out to me as being so versatile, can't wait to give this thing a try sometime soon. We have a new Tour Edge regional rep that I've met, hopefully he'll have some to demo!

I love me some fairway woods and this one looks and sounds awesome! I still remember the first time you let me hit an Exotics 3W back in east Texas and it was wow at first sight. This one looks to be just as good!

Thank you for reading everyone, hope you enjoyed the info and more particularly the data provided via Foresight. I know its not the fancy shmancy charts that some use, but I still stand that IMO my personal swing shouldn't be the focus of the review, rather, the data from it can glean to us a more thorough picture of the club in hands performance.

General question I guess.

The lack of adjustability is that a problem at this price point? I've gotten so used to having the ability to tinker with clubs after purchasing them that going away from it is scary.

I like how you described it as all business though.

Thanks for the review Jman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All about peace of mind and what you need my friend. Honestly, I suspect we will start again seeing more going AWAY from adjustability in their fairways because of the weight savings/placement potential. The nice thing about what Tour Edge has doen with the EXOTICS line now is they have everyone covered, XJ1 hits the high launch and more spin crowd with the most forgiveness, EX10/EX10-Beta hits the mid launch low spin crowd with ample forgiveness, and now the CBX gives the neutral/fade desired players their low launch and low spin monster. They key with non-adjustable though is that education definitely matters more, IMO.

Great review as usual James. Really a great looking club, and Im glad that it is more of an off the deck option now as well. The spin killer scares me but definitely would lie to try it out and see what kind of distance we are talking.

We shall see. I'll tape it up. :alien:

Great review James - Got to think a 13.5* off the tee would be a "Monster"

Man, it'll depend on the person for sure, for me and my swing though, even at 108+ because I'm a low spin/launcher by nature, I wouldn't be able to elevate it at all. Now, a guy who creates tons of spin via good technique or swing issue or whatever, I can see it foooooooooooor sure.

I love me some fairway woods and this one looks and sounds awesome! I still remember the first time you let me hit an Exotics 3W back in east Texas and it was wow at first sight. This one looks to be just as good!

This would CARRY that fairway you murder that's in your bag. CARRY.

I mean it. In hands like yours, this would be borderline silly and unfair.

ALso a big fan of the shaft offerings too

Really solid review James!

That is a seriously impressive fairway, it really is incredible the ball speed they've created in this line. I'm pretty excited about TEE FW at this point and will have one in the bag, I just wish I had a place nearby I could get some swings in with the CBX to see if I would like it better than the EX10, which I was able to hit at a gathering in Indy(thanks MarkM!).

I can't remember, did you ever spend much time with the Epic SZ and if so how would the CBX compare to it with the weight forward from a forgiveness standpoint? To me the EX10 felt more forgiving than the weight forward SZ and launched higher, so would the CBX be comparable but create more ball speed in your estimation?

Very, detailed, thorough and superb write up, Jman. For other readers, one of the things that he points out in his many fine reviews is to not read so much into his personal numbers, but use them as a reference point, particularly when they are compared to other, similar clubs. This fairway wood is a case in point. My clubhead speed is nowhere near, Jman’s. However, this fairway wood is very solid, long, easy to elevate and did I say, long? It is freakishly long. However, my much slower clubhead speed accompanies a swing that spins at a pretty high rate and I usually launch the ball pretty high. So, maybe I am in that niche of average swing speed players who Jman indicated might benefit from this club. I like everything about it. I actually can either draw it or fade it, something I don’t normally see in a fw. It looks so good to me over the ball. I have had mine (a 15 degree with Hzrdus Black 6.0) for a couple weeks now and it is truly a game changer for me. In fact, I sold my Epic, which was a very solid 3 wood.

I actually only came upon this new head from reading the other thread and comments made there, mainly by Jman. I truly enjoy this forum.

Really solid review James!

That is a seriously impressive fairway, it really is incredible the ball speed they've created in this line. I'm pretty excited about TEE FW at this point and will have one in the bag, I just wish I had a place nearby I could get some swings in with the CBX to see if I would like it better than the EX10, which I was able to hit at a gathering in Indy(thanks MarkM!).

I can't remember, did you ever spend much time with the Epic SZ and if so how would the CBX compare to it with the weight forward from a forgiveness standpoint? To me the EX10 felt more forgiving than the weight forward SZ and launched higher, so would the CBX be comparable but create more ball speed in your estimation?

Yeah I bought and played the SZ earlier this year upon its release. Even weight forward, it launched higher and spun more than the CBX for me, and ball speeds were short of the CBX as well, that is what stuck out the most through the whole review for me, its a ball speed machine.

A better comparison to the SZ, in my personal opinion, is the EX10 Beta, but still with more ball speed than the SZ, at least it is for me.

Very, detailed, thorough and superb write up, Jman. For other readers, one of the things that he points out in his many fine reviews is to not read so much into his personal numbers, but use them as a reference point, particularly when they are compared to other, similar clubs. This fairway wood is a case in point. My clubhead speed is nowhere near, Jman’s. However, this fairway wood is very solid, long, easy to elevate and did I say, long? It is freakishly long. However, my much slower clubhead speed accompanies a swing that spins at a pretty high rate and I usually launch the ball pretty high. So, maybe I am in that niche of average swing speed players who Jman indicated might benefit from this club. I like everything about it. I actually can either draw it or fade it, something I don’t normally see in a fw. It looks so good to me over the ball. I have had mine (a 15 degree with Hzrdus Black 6.0) for a couple weeks now and it is truly a game changer for me. In fact, I sold my Epic, which was a very solid 3 wood.

I actually only came upon this new head from reading the other thread and comments made there, mainly by Jman. I truly enjoy this forum.

Love it dude. Thank you for the kind words and its always fun finding something that works! Its all about the fit!

James I can't wait to read this one later today, I know you were pretty excited about the product when you were posting some updates.

James I can't wait to read this one later today, I know you were pretty excited about the product when you were posting some updates.

Thanks buddy. Its been a minute since something surprised me, truly surprised, and even though Tour Edge has been ballyhooing the ball speed here, I admit I doubted. But, numbers don't lie, Foresight has proven that.

Yeah I bought and played the SZ earlier this year upon its release. Even weight forward, it launched higher and spun more than the CBX for me, and ball speeds were short of the CBX as well, that is what stuck out the most through the whole review for me, its a ball speed machine.

A better comparison to the SZ, in my personal opinion, is the EX10 Beta, but still with more ball speed than the SZ, at least it is for me.

Thanks for the reply Jman! That tell me pretty much everything I need to know. As much as I would love to need the CBX for the monster it is, I think the EX10 Beta with a HZRDUS Yellow 75 would be better for me personally.

It's just so impressive how good the fairways from TEE have been this year and how much more they're getting than any other OEM. From all the reviews I've seen for them it's not just hype from the OEM, real world results speak volumes. Great work again dude!

Thank you for reading everyone, hope you enjoyed the info and more particularly the data provided via Foresight. I know its not the fancy shmancy charts that some use, but I still stand that IMO my personal swing shouldn't be the focus of the review, rather, the data from it can glean to us a more thorough picture of the club in hands performance.

All about peace of mind and what you need my friend. Honestly, I suspect we will start again seeing more going AWAY from adjustability in their fairways because of the weight savings/placement potential. The nice thing about what Tour Edge has doen with the EXOTICS line now is they have everyone covered, XJ1 hits the high launch and more spin crowd with the most forgiveness, EX10/EX10-Beta hits the mid launch low spin crowd with ample forgiveness, and now the CBX gives the neutral/fade desired players their low launch and low spin monster. They key with non-adjustable though is that education definitely matters more, IMO.

We shall see. I'll tape it up. :alien:

Man, it'll depend on the person for sure, for me and my swing though, even at 108+ because I'm a low spin/launcher by nature, I wouldn't be able to elevate it at all. Now, a guy who creates tons of spin via good technique or swing issue or whatever, I can see it foooooooooooor sure.

This would CARRY that fairway you murder that's in your bag. CARRY.

I mean it. In hands like yours, this would be borderline silly and unfair.

I'd kind of like to see it go back more hard set clubs honestly. It will free my mind when the swing gets a little sideways hahaha

Thanks for taking the time to read guys, it means a lot to us writers, I can promise you that.

I hope this one isn't overlooked simply because it's Tour Edge, that would be a travesty as they've done something special.

Thanks for taking the time to read guys, it means a lot to us writers, I can promise you that.

I hope this one isn't overlooked simply because it's Tour Edge, that would be a travesty as they've done something special.

Went back and re-read it, because I apparently missed the whole 2 degrees of lower launching. Good Lord that's a noticeable drop.

Their FW's have always been super hot so the high ball speed I didn't really appreciate as much, because I knew it'd just be a cannon.

Cool information James I might have to retire my E9 3 wood and update my fairway/ driver.

2.7 mph faster, 2.4* lower, 460 rpm lower than Ex10 Beta. That sounds insane. I haven't hit the EX10 Beta, but I would assume it's similar to other low spin clubs on the market

Cool information James I might have to retire my E9 3 wood and update my fairway/ driver.

Thanks for reading buddy! The improvement is real, don't sleep on the EX10 though!

2.7 mph faster, 2.4* lower, 460 rpm lower than Ex10 Beta. That sounds insane. I haven't hit the EX10 Beta, but I would assume it's similar to other low spin clubs on the market

Yep, the CBX put out some crazy numbers to digest. They call it a spin killer, and it definitely is. As to the Beta, its actually similar, but has produced better ball speeds for me than the Epic, Epic SZ, and M1.

Back