The Grill/Grilling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried reverse searing tonight. 18oz ribeye, probably 1.5-2" thick. 275 for an hour in the oven, then a couple minutes per side on the kamado. probably could have used 35-45 in the oven instead of the hour, but the flavor and texture were excellent. something I'll continue to work on.

For anything like that you need a good instant read thermometer. I've had an original Thermapen for a long time, but Amazon has similar types for a lot less money. You will be a lot happier with your cooking with a dependable and accurate thermometer. I don't use the old dial types any more because they aren't responsive enough for many foods. I have a Chef Alarm probe thermometer for roasts and the Thermapen to double check the other one, as well as for cooking steaks and chops and other faster cooking foods.

I pan fried a 1½" ribeye last night for dinner - stainless tri ply pan, medium high heat on the largest burner on my gas range. Took it to 120° then let it rest to 130°. Perfect medium rare. Just kept flipping it 2 minutes per flip until the internal temp was right. I basted the top side with the hot oil a couple of times between each flip, and for the last flip I added 2 pats of butter and a rosemary sprig to flavor the basting oil. It was delicious. I could have grilled it, but it was just windy enough to dissuade me from cooking out there in the dark.

I tried reverse searing tonight. 18oz ribeye, probably 1.5-2" thick. 275 for an hour in the oven, then a couple minutes per side on the kamado. probably could have used 35-45 in the oven instead of the hour, but the flavor and texture were excellent. something I'll continue to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is something about a Kamado that just makes food taste better. I dont think I could go back to another grill in the future. Going to make pizza on it again this week.

For anything like that you need a good instant read thermometer. I've had an original Thermapen for a long time, but Amazon has similar types for a lot less money. You will be a lot happier with your cooking with a dependable and accurate thermometer. I don't use the old dial types any more because they aren't responsive enough for many foods. I have a Chef Alarm probe thermometer for roasts and the Thermapen to double check the other one, as well as for cooking steaks and chops and other faster cooking foods.

I pan fried a 1½" ribeye last night for dinner - stainless tri ply pan, medium high heat on the largest burner on my gas range. Took it to 120° then let it rest to 130°. Perfect medium rare. Just kept flipping it 2 minutes per flip until the internal temp was right. I basted the top side with the hot oil a couple of times between each flip, and for the last flip I added 2 pats of butter and a rosemary sprig to flavor the basting oil. It was delicious. I could have grilled it, but it was just windy enough to dissuade me from cooking out there in the dark.

we have a digital one but I don't think it's very nice. I took it out of the oven when it was reading 115 and put it back in for another 10 minutes. probably should have just pulled it at 115.

I've done the butter basting in the pan too. it's good, but nothing beats the grill.

There is something about a Kamado that just makes food taste better. I dont think I could go back to another grill in the future. Going to make pizza on it again this week.

we tried pizza once, but I think I need a different kind of lump charcoal because the smoke flavor on the pizza was pretty overwhelming.

we tried pizza once, but I think I need a different kind of lump charcoal because the smoke flavor on the pizza was pretty overwhelming.

Yeah, the key for me with that is regular lump (no extra wood chips) and let burn for a bit to get the initial bitter out. Takes about 15 minutes to me, get crazy hot, and then I grill the pizza at about 750+ degrees, so its only on there for about 3 minutes tops.

Ordered our Weber Genesis 330 this weekend. Can't wait to break it in!

Ordered our Weber Genesis 330 this weekend. Can't wait to break it in!

I have the same bbq and I can tell you it's awesome.
I just grilled some steaks yesterday with the sear station and it was fantastic

Was wondering how the sweet baby rays "hickory & brown sugar" sauce will be on chicken? Or does anyone recommend something else- it is my first time with it

Sweet baby rays is good.... As a base. I make my own USING theirs.
I add 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 small bottle franks hot sauce, 1 tsp white pepper, 1 tsp granulated garlic powder, 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, and 5 bottles sweet baby rays hickory brown sugar BBQ sauce.
all in a sauce pan, good stir. Bring to boil, then simmer 10 min. Cool and rebottle
nice and tangy

Tried a new recipe out. Honey bourbon glazed salmon. I'm not a fish guy but it turned out pretty good!

cf3204a40bf931306f2e7baea3ea8a58.jpg

Dinner and appetizer when the twins go to bed...

9cbcb2e6975dd00d2dd59edb25c33312.jpg

Flat Iron steak with a smoky BBQ dry rub and some kielbasa

Like to grill? Get one of these

95cdb9d264b21662ff61bc674c364544.jpg

Didn't clean the grill this Spring and it shows... Oh well

db0acfb26d36af2c8198e772b10f029e.jpg

Why not

5718f69af4eba895d356c5e86be8503d.jpg

These are about to go on the grill

4a4b6b3c9a39a4dcfea3d4e0b7ead4f1.jpg

bought some USDA Prime New Yorks and Filet Mignon to BBQ up this fathers day. My Mouth is watering just typing about it lol!

bought some USDA Prime New Yorks and Filet Mignon to BBQ up this fathers day. My Mouth is watering just typing about it lol!

the price of prime filet is outrageous right now. but damn if it's not delicious.

last night i had my first Omaha steak. my dad sent me some for Father's Day. although it was a tiny little 6oz filet, I was really impressed with the texture and flavor. grilled it on the kamado and it was delicious.

Alberta black angus beef.

Don't smoke everybody out, someone might call the fire dept :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hahaha. They don't call them when it's only the grill.

That's a sweet looking grille.

Thanks. It's only 3 burners but it works like a champ. It's a centro. Never knew of the before but I recommend them.

Thanks. It's only 3 burners but it works like a champ. It's a centro. Never knew of the before but I recommend them.
We're looking to get a new one. Want a half n half but I'll have to look that brand up.

Can't wait to head to the store to pick our grilling items for father's day dinner tonight, can't wait for some corn and steak, not which cuts too choose? And some brats for my son, he loves the bacon/cheddar ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back