Wedge shaft length

Trmpt98

2024 Vokey / 2023 GOAT Cup / 2019 Bridgestone
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When I was fitted 8 years ago the pro added 1 1/4" to my iron set. I've bought a set of new wedges and struggle to get under the ball. Should I have the extra 1 1/4" added to my wedge set? When I asked the guy at golfsmith he got all hot and bothered that I was asking to add that much and in his opinion I shouldn't add more than 3/4" to anything. I hit my regular irons pretty decent. I'm 6'2". Thoughts and advise?

Lots of variables here.
First, it will depend on the person and their swing, but its not limited to that. Clubs have different lengths too, so just going with a set amount from a fitting years ago might not give the best option.

I'm happy with my iron length and still works well. Figured I should have my new sand and lob wedge lengthened to match.

I apparently had my wedges at 36.5" as long as my 8 iron. My pw and 9 were shorter. The club fitter suggested I go 35 " I think this would be your best bet if your standard height around 6 feet tall.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I didn't realize wedges are sold at a stock length. The lob wedge and sand wedge are the same length....

Ideally your wedges should be the same, maybe 1/4" longer on PW than the rest of the wedges, but it's really not super important unless you like to hit full shots with wedges other than PW, in that case you need to get the length to the right gapping coupled with the lofts.

That makes sense and I typically do hit full shots with my wedges. The lob wedge is my most used partial shot club. Gap and pitch are already lengthened as they were a part of the original set.

Back