Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Occasionally but not often. In this case I can visually see the weight moving after every swing and the ground was nowhere to be found. On the sliding track you can even see where it is a bit discolored from the weight moving on it while being torqued in place.

I got nothing then. That's weird, but I'm glad Callaway is addressing it. I've messed with mine a little and adjusted a couple times for the 3-4 rounds I've used it and no issues so far.

I got nothing then. That's weird, but I'm glad Callaway is addressing it. I've messed with mine a little and adjusted a couple times for the 3-4 rounds I've used it and no issues so far.

Hopefully I'll have the same results with the replacement. Just not sure how long it will take to be in my hands; guessing about 2-3 weeks. Unfortunately by that time golf will be done for the year in my neck of the woods. Bet I've only got another month at most before every place shuts down.

I struggled to find the center of the face all day Saturday, but was still able to keep it in play and with considerable distance. It's nice to have a club that keeps me in the game at least when I'm not at my best.

i was the same way early on. I spent some time on the range and realized it was tee height. I'm not sure if its mental or what, but the BBA815 had me teeing it up a tad lower. After realizing it was too low for the GBB & adjusting, i was hitting the center (or close to it) pretty consistently.

Our stats are virtually the same. Did you try the Aldila Rogue 60 Silver shaft? I have hit the White Tie 55/4, ok but was not convinced on it. The Aldila is ok, but wondering if I could use a slightly lighter shaft to get another mph or two of ball speed since it is around 67 grams I believe.

I did not try the Rogue 60 since I typically avoid lower launching, lower spin shafts. But I've considered it. Was hoping they would serve up the Rogue Black 95MSI in 60, but no...

I typically like a higher launch, low spin flight with a positive AOA. In the stable to try, besides the Oban, is a Diamana S+60 Stiff, Fuji 565 Stiff, and Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 Stiff. I like the KK Black, but find it and the Oban to have a similar flight. I am trying to get a lesson with my instructor to step on a Trackman.

I struggled to find the center of the face all day Saturday, but was still able to keep it in play and with considerable distance. It's nice to have a club that keeps me in the game at least when I'm not at my best.

^^^This is what really has me wanting to demo this club.

You should. Callaway gets a lot of love on this site (deservedly so) but this driver really is the real deal. No hype around this head IMO, it just performs. Confidence is a huge factor in playing well, and no driver has ever given me the confidence that this driver does. I love hitting driver now, and used to absolutely despise it.

Check out the review linked in the first post if you haven't already, I've genuinely never reviewed a driver with this type of ball-speed retention on off center shots, combined with the MOI and its an incredibly forgiving club.

I did not try the Rogue 60 since I typically avoid lower launching, lower spin shafts. But I've considered it. Was hoping they would serve up the Rogue Black 95MSI in 60, but no...

I typically like a higher launch, low spin flight with a positive AOA. In the stable to try, besides the Oban, is a Diamana S+60 Stiff, Fuji 565 Stiff, and Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 Stiff. I like the KK Black, but find it and the Oban to have a similar flight. I am trying to get a lesson with my instructor to step on a Trackman.
Thanks! The +60 is definitely on my list to try. Want to try my Aldila Tour Blue from my X2 Hot also. Trying to find the shaft that is heavy enough that I can feel the club, but light enough I might get that extra bit of ball speed. My dispersion seems a lot better with a little heavier shaft, and spin as well. Keep in mind these are all from PGASS monitors, so when I get one outside all bets are off.

Check out the review linked in the first post if you haven't already, I've genuinely never reviewed a driver with this type of ball-speed retention on off center shots, combined with the MOI and its an incredibly forgiving club.

Well of course I read the review:D, and this entire thread actually. I really like the reviews, but I love the feedback from the members here.

This driver an I get along quite well. That is all. Hahaha

Played my second round with the GBB this past weekend. I'm not sure how it happened, but half of the alignment mark on the top of the club head lost the black finish. I'm pretty anal about putting my headcover back on my driver every time I use it, so I'm not sure how that could have happened. Noticed it on my 6th hole of the day, which was the second hole I was using driver on.

Anyone have any similar issues?

Played my second round with the GBB this past weekend. I'm not sure how it happened, but half of the alignment mark on the top of the club head lost the black finish. I'm pretty anal about putting my headcover back on my driver every time I use it, so I'm not sure how that could have happened. Noticed it on my 6th hole of the day, which was the second hole I was using driver on.

Anyone have any similar issues?

Pic maybe? That sounds crazy. Would def contact Callaway too.

Pic maybe? That sounds crazy. Would def contact Callaway too.

I'll have to take one tonight after work. It's tough to explain lol but I've definitely never seen it before. I'll definitely reach out to Callaway about it as well.

I have one to demo tomorrow on the course provided the snow melts (which it should by noon). The course is pretty much closed (they have stopped removing the leaves from the greens) so I can hit as many drives as I want. The fitter never could beat the numbers from my current driver with the GBB today indoors but I really want to see the ballflight and hit it under some tough conditions (mid 40s with gusts in the 20-25 range) to see how it reacts. Of the demo shafts the shop had, the Tour Blue and the Diamana S+ were the best by a few notches for my swing so I have both with me. Looking forward to this....

Great write up Bodog. I'm looking forward to getting this in my hands now even more after your write up.

I would like to mention that a driver demo with assorted clubs is not something I really wanted to do, but I knew that it had to be done. Until today, I DO NOT hit more than 5 drivers in a row on the range. The reviews on this site helped me narrow down the very short list of the clubs I would hit.

New technology may not mean much to some, but I cannot and will not swing my old Titleist more than 5 times in a row. The GBB made me want to keep swinging.

Side note: after the baseline numbers were established with me trying to aim down the middle, I changed nothing on the club, just set up to hit my normal draw: hit 10 shots, increased my carry to 223 and total distance to just over 250.

I'm at the stage of my life that while I can still hit it out there with MOST, after a long absence from golf, I'm stunned by what technology has done for me with my new irons and I can't wait to add another 15 to 20 yards to my driver.

Pro's: The GBB is as advertised and works for ladies and SEMI-old guys
Cons: Expensive, and without using adjustment, not quite as straight as my old gamer or the M1 (for me)

For anyone wondering, if there is anything I'm good at...I'm a pretty good ball striker and mostly always have been. My wife, however, she hit more than a couple absolutely (cringe worthy) shots with the GBB and they still exceeded her old gamer and seemed to want to track towards the middle??

Hope this is helpful to some of you.

Last edited:
Last two rounds with the Great Big Bertha Driver has been a disaster for me. All of a sudden I'm getting hook after hook with this club. I have tried different settings and nothing is working. Also, the sliding weight on the back that goes from fade to draw works but the screw no longer tightens the weight down and the weight is somewhat loose. I can't tighten it or even loosen the screw anymore. Has anyone else encountered this problem? What do you do, contact Callaway?

Last two rounds with the Great Big Bertha Driver has been a disaster for me. All of a sudden I'm getting hook after hook with this club. I have tried different settings and nothing is working. Also, the sliding weight on the back that goes from fade to draw works but the screw no longer tightens the weight down and the weight is somewhat loose. I can't tighten it or even loosen the screw anymore. Has anyone else encountered this problem? What do you do, contact Callaway?

yea contact Callaway. They should take care of you.

I had trouble with my weight sliding during a round. I took it to my local golf store and they reached out to Callaway and were able to get a replacement weight sent and installed for me.

I just talked with a Callaway Rep and they are sending me a new driver. Since the screw will not back out or tighten, they felt it best to just replace the entire driver. Now that is great customer service from Callaway.

I had the the same problem, callaway are sorting it. However I am worried about it happening again. I only moved the weight 3 times before it failed. I will just get a setting I like and will leave it there.

why is this great customer service? The product has just come out, replacing a faulty product is not great customer service. They should be replacing it and doing something else for you for the inconvenience.

Actually, it is great customer service. Outside the golf industry (which has unbelievable service as a whole) companies look to blame the consumer all over. Especially when it comes to consumable products where a human can easily break an item and place the blame on poor craftsmanship.

Ever dealt with the cable company? How about a cell phone company? They make you jump through 99 hoops before doing anything.

So yes, it was great customer service to resolve the issue like that. Why would they need to do something else? Because you want something for free? SMH

why is this great customer service? The product has just come out, replacing a faulty product is not great customer service. They should be replacing it and doing something else for you for the inconvenience.

Honest question...what do you think they should give you for it more so than replacing the product?

Hit the GBB 9 again on the range ... it seems dialed in --- every ball yesterday was straight, high as I wanted, and long with a good run afterwards.

Dialed in = +1, Draw Setting, Perimeter Weighting set to all the way Fade (seems incongruous, but when I miss, it is toe, and the fade setting puts weight towards the toe for more forgiveness).

Anyway...the GBB. I trust everyone is getting it dialed in.

UPS dropped mine off today, It's a beautiful club and the Red Tie shaft makes it look even better. I am dying to go hit this beast but don't wanna hit grungy range balls . I may try and dip out of work early tomorrow . Waiting for this weekend is going to be brutal.

Back