Hitting range balls you didn't pay for

I have never done that. I have hit remaining balls in the hitting area, but never scavenged on the range for balls.

I'll supplement my bucket with left overs in other stalls. Pretty lame to go straight away and fill an empty bucket.

My son and I usually hit at the range 2 or 3 times a week.

Sometimes before a round, if no one is there, I'll hit 3 or4 balls with my driver
Usually, someone will leave a partial bucket, just for this.

But, gathering enough for a practice session?????

Jack

I've snagged a few balls at the end of my own range session that were duffed in front, but I've never gone out and took balls off the range so I don't have to pay for a bucket.
I have seen others do that though, members at the course who thought they were better than others and had a bit of a "I'll do what I want, eff you" attitude.

I have, if they're on the hitting area. The pro where I play actually told me to hit any balls laying on the hitting area of the range so he didn't have to run the cart up there or go have to grab a ball bag and bend over to pick them up! He says it helps him a ton to have all the balls out on the range so he can grab them with the cart. Said it saves him thirty minutes each night before he leaves. I'm more than happy to help! On to the range, no, but definitely on the hitting area.

And Panda, I do finish the food on my 4/8/12 year olds' plates!!!!! So take that!!!! Ha!

Only hit the extra balls left on the range where I was hitting. Wouldn't even think,to just walk to the range and scrounge balls

Not as a general practice, and typically not at a course that I'm not intimately familiar with. For example, at an old club I belonged to, on weekends there would be a bunch of ball buckets for a league or something, and I'd sometimes play shortly after they teed off. I usually only chip and putt before playing a round, but if I was done with that and had time and there was nobody on the range (which there typically wasn't) then I'd maybe knock a few wedges down range. But only if someone had left balls out, I wouldn't go into a bucket to grab them, and I damn sure would NEVER walk out in front of the range for balls.

Never. I'll take extras if they're just lying around, but I'll always buy a bucket.

I always buy the giant bucket, So I know I'll hit all I want. I try not to interrupt one's session, but when I have extra, I always ask someone at a stall near me if they'd like what I didn't hit.

No. If there is one directly in front of where I'm hitting I may grab it, but never just walk around the range collecting them.

We have unlimited range balls included with our membership so nope. Now I have left half a bucket up there at times when I've hit enough and I'm sure there are those that take advantage of it. In fact most of the time there are several half buckets on the range for the taking.

We have those pointless ball tray/pyramids at our course. They look cool, but really serve no purpose.

I scrape the balls in the stalls around me but would never walk out on the grass and pick up balls.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I always buy balls and usually don't finish the ones in my basket. Back when I worked at a golf course, we had several people that would try to sneak out on the range and collect balls. There was one day I was already a little upset at something else and I saw some people out there picking some up. I waited until they had their basket full and went and took the baskets from them and told them thanks for picking up range balls for me.

it's $35 for the season pass at my home course for the range. Buy it with my membership for $550 total. I've done like 60 rounds this year and probably hit 30 buckets. Cheapest entertainment around.
So no I don't scrounge.

I would allow people to run out and pick up as many as they could with two conditions:1. Everyone is allowed to hit at them.2. The can only carry them in their hands/arms, no buckets.Best of luck! :)

i didnt know such behavior existed. at least i have never witnessed it. then again, a lot of people suck

I'll hit extra balls left over at the range.....but typically that's after I've bought my own.

Don't walk onto the range to scavenge balls.

And yes Panda.....I'd share a plate with you anyday.

If I'm warming up before the round small bucket is part of my budget. If I see an empty space with left over balls I might hit those also, but can't fathom just waking up like you own the place and hitting balls you didn't pay for.

If I'm warming up before the round small bucket is part of my budget. If I see an empty space with left over balls I might hit those also, but can't fathom just waking up like you own the place and hitting balls you didn't pay for.
Exactly this for me as well.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I don't do it, not sure why someone would do that other than they want to hit balls and they don't have any money.

No never would do that, to just walk out there and collect balls as though you own the place? I would feel too funny doing that. I would actually fee funny if someone I am with is doing that. I would never embarrass myself over 5bucks. I might take risks for a couple million before I embarrass myself over 5 lol. I have actually added balls to ranges via my shag bag. If I'm not happy at the end of my warm-up bucket I may hit a couple of my own slight scuffed balls if I have any.

With that said, I do think 5 bucks is high for a little warm up bucket. I always felt if one is paying greens fees that it would be proper to just charge 2 or 3 bucks extra for the little warm up bucket. I know it sounds petty or even ridiculous to some of you but feelings about any money spent is always relative to each persons financial situation. I would also speculate they may actually earn more money due to greater sales volume with a cheaper bicket.

I've hit golf balls I've found left "between the ropes" on the range. I don't walk out into the range and pick them up. I've also left unhit golf balls between the ropes hoping somebody else would hit them if they wanted. If the person who paid for them doesn't care, I'm certainly not going to worry about it. Any more than I worry about picking up a golf ball that I may find in the woods (which actually presents more of a moral dilemma to me), or care if somebody else finds one that I abandoned in the woods. And quite frankly, I could care less if somebody else snagged the remains of the 24oz med-rare T-Bone that I left on my plate in the restaurant. Except that there is no such thing. Ever.

Bottom line. If I paid for them, and I don't care who hits them after I leave. Nobody else should worry about it either.

Last edited:
The thought has never crossed my mind.

Back