Actual driving distances much different than forums

i kinda find it misleading because it states driving distances and not carry distances. That includes people who pop up the ball as well as those that hit worm burners that run for days. While the data is good to look at, I'm a bit skeptical in that I prefer to talk carry distance over total distance.

I tend to agree with Carlos...should we count it if it is a smother hook that goes 20 yards?

Through anecdotal evidence, I also agree that most people think they drive the ball further than they actually do.
I was at a scramble yesterday and my group was 3 guys that I did not know. On the first tee box, one of the guys said that if I can get one in play than he will be able to bomb one for us.

I said, no problem, and hit a drive that found the fairway...he hit his "power fade" and we walked up and he was 30 yards behind me...he felt that I must have hit mine 330 yds... :)

I’ve only played in 2 events, but from those events alone, I can tell you the average THPer (not me unfortunately) carries it further than the 219 yard average quoted in that article.

#FiberLaunch

Great link. I tell you what, using Cobra Connect involved some humbling reality checks.

Numbers are scary. I have a distance measuring function on my gps and never use it.

Nothing average about THP or it's golfers!!!

They have to be counting every single drive including tops, pop up, shanks etc.

Yeah, but they also include down hill, mid summer, roll outs, cart path bounces etc...
:)

I think they are a bit short, but what do I know?

I tend to agree with Carlos...should we count it if it is a smother hook that goes 20 yards?

Through anecdotal evidence, I also agree that most people think they drive the ball further than they actually do.
I was at a scramble yesterday and my group was 3 guys that I did not know. On the first tee box, one of the guys said that if I can get one in play than he will be able to bomb one for us.

I said, no problem, and hit a drive that found the fairway...he hit his "power fade" and we walked up and he was 30 yards behind me...he felt that I must have hit mine 330 yds... :)

I mean you do hit it a long ways haha ;)

Averages tell only a part of the story. I had one foot in a bucket of ice and the other foot in a bucket of boiling water . . . on average I felt pretty good!!

Ha! Love that dude that anoints himself the groups' bomber on the first tee.

I wonder how many people that are questioning these numbers measure each drive with a reliable tool - GPS, software, etc. - and know their actual averages.

I think it should be figured more like a handicap. calculate the average for the 10 best of your last 20 drives.

My Garmin watch gives me distances for all hits automatically while I play.

I have lasered back to the tee box a couple of times to double check...it is very accurate.

It is funny though..my watch does this but people I play with do not know...so when we walk up to their ball, they say, "Man I crushed that, solid 270!" I look at my watch and see 234yds....I tell them nice drive and walk on.
Golf should be fun and thinking you hit a drive 270 yds is fun...no reason to pee in anyone's Cheerios.

Just use median and you are good to go. If you really have multiple 5 yard drive you have bigger issues. I use game golf as well it is pretty accurate and also has a typical drive number as well as average which is more or less the median drive, takes out the tops and 400 yard cart path bomb when your second longest drive is 280 or whatever..

I'm just glad to see that I am ahead of the curve in both handicap and age categories.

I'm at least 30 yards ahead of the 5-10 handicap and about 60 yards ahead of the 60 yr olds. (I turn 60 next month)

I wonder how many people that are questioning these numbers measure each drive with a reliable tool - GPS, software, etc. - and know their actual averages.

very few

Numbers are scary. I have a distance measuring function on my gps and never use it.

Mines automatic unfortunately! :beat-up:

My Garmin watch gives me distances for all hits automatically while I play.

I have lasered back to the tee box a couple of times to double check...it is very accurate.

It is funny though..my watch does this but people I play with do not know...so when we walk up to their ball, they say, "Man I crushed that, solid 270!" I look at my watch and see 234yds....I tell them nice drive and walk on.
Golf should be fun and thinking you hit a drive 270 yds is fun...no reason to pee in anyone's Cheerios.

Mine's the same way. Ironically my normal group is pretty realistic, so this rarely comes up. What it has taught me is that anything in the 280-290 range is reserved for bombs only with me. My median drive is much closer to 250-260 on decent strikes, which is generally plenty.

You smash the ball with all clubs, not just driver.

Hit your 3w so far we never found the ball on that par 5.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sorry, wasn’t trying to offend anyone. I just know in my league everyone thinks they hit it farther than they do. Have a guy on my team who is plus 1 handicap and everyone thinks he hit it 300 every time and it’s actually 265-270

golf is a game where average means something else than it does pretty much everywhere else. it seems most golfers (myself included) don't mean a mathematical average, they actually mean "how far it goes when i hit it really well." if you took my average drive from my round yesterday where i seriously had the worst driving day i've had all year, it would probably be 200-220. but if you pulled me aside after i wrote my score down on 18 and asked me how far my average drive is, i would tell you 245-255.

my numbers come from trackman and I refuse to use on course numbers when describing my yardages. Everything is range only and one session only. Just works better that way to eliminate the outside factors.

It really has been a learning experience using CC. I used to do things like laser the distance to the hole and subtract that number from the number on the card (on straight holes). I have learned that is not reliable at all.

Sorry, wasn’t trying to offend anyone. I just know in my league everyone thinks they hit it farther than they do. Have a guy on my team who is plus 1 handicap and everyone thinks he hit it 300 every time and it’s actually 265-270

I can think of exactly one person who claims to hit it shorter that he really does. I have met a million that think they hit it longer (and I was in that camp too).

Back