Maybe I'm a 1/2 inch over not a 1" over in irons after all

CAA_Beat

Reaction score
Handicap
Golf talk question!!

I've always been fit to 3/4 or 1" over in iron fittings, depending on the OEM and their standard length. But recently I went to a demo where I wanted try two different shafts in the same iron. But they only had one shaft in 1/2 over and the other in the 1" over.

I hit the 1" well enough, mostly like my normal shaft length. Then when I tried the 1/2 it was like magic, every shot seemed flushed and seemed to have much more solid contact. Could it be similar to drivers, where the shorter shaft gave me much more control thus producing more consistent contact.

I know the answer seems obvious based on the above results. But I guess I had just never thought of irons that way, It seemed i was always fit more for my posture stance with the 1" vs. better results with a shorter shaft. I didn't seem to notice a huge difference in my set up, meaning I didn't feel like I was more hunched over with the 1/2 than the 1" but that was just my feel, I obviously couldn't see for myself.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5 Diamana Red S+ 50g

Golf talk question!!

I've always been fit to 3/4 or 1" over in iron fittings, depending on the OEM and their standard length. But recently I went to a demo where I wanted try two different shafts in the same iron. But they only had one shaft in 1/2 over and the other in the 1" over.

I hit the 1" well enough, mostly like my normal shaft length. Then when I tried the 1/2 it was like magic, every shot seemed flushed and seemed to have much more solid contact. Could it be similar to drivers, where the shorter shaft gave me much more control thus producing more consistent contact.

I know the answer seems obvious based on the above results. But I guess I had just never thought of irons that way, It seemed i was always fit more for my posture stance with the 1" vs. better results with a shorter shaft. I didn't seem to notice a huge difference in my set up, meaning I didn't feel like I was more hunched over with the 1/2 than the 1" but that was just my feel, I obviously couldn't see for myself.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5 Diamana Red S+ 50g

Yeah, I get all of my irons 1/2 " longer...you and I are about the same height..not that there aren't other factors including posture.

I found that with most irons, I can hit them stock and be just fine...not sure a 1/2 inch is very noticeable to most.

I have buddies who have swung my irons and didn't know/couldn't tell they were longer than their gamers.

My guess is that it will have zero impact on your distances either..heck if you hit the center more often, you may see a distance gain.

I always struggle a little bit with club fitting...since hitting a golf ball is not a natural thing, and you have to teach your body to perform the act...than it is reasonable that it will figure it out with almost any stock club.

I have never had my irons fitted...seems that my brain/body adapted to standard specs.

Yeah, I get all of my irons 1/2 " longer...you and I are about the same height..not that there aren't other factors including posture.

I found that with most irons, I can hit them stock and be just fine...not sure a 1/2 inch is very noticeable to most.

I have buddies who have swung my irons and didn't know/couldn't tell they were longer than their gamers.

My guess is that it will have zero impact on your distances either..heck if you hit the center more often, you may see a distance gain.

I always struggle a little bit with club fitting...since hitting a golf ball is not a natural thing, and you have to teach your body to perform the act...than it is reasonable that it will figure it out with almost any stock club.

I have never had my irons fitted...seems that my brain/body adapted to standard specs.
Thanks all good points, and certainly about possibly picking up a yard or two by hitting the center of the club vs slightly missing it on longer shots, as I know the same principal holds true with the driver on a bigger scale (more club speeed)

Perhaps I need to come hit and of course SEE your 1/2 inch clubs...I seem to have read somewhere lately they are something special :D

It could also be lie angle. Even though you didn't physically change the lie angle of the club head, you changed the effective lie angle by changing the length of the shaft. Depending on the shafts, you could have changed the swing weight some too (though probably not enough for it to be the key to your success). I suggest figuring out the lie of the club you hit well and the playing length that way you can replicate that setup in the future when testing other clubs/shafts.

I used to think I played +1"....

Then I took all my clubs out and self fit them as best I could. Right now, my set is 9, pw, gw, sw, lw all play at 36.25" which for the wedges is +1.25", but for the 9 is only +.25".

I've never had better gapping, and I've never hit my scoring irons better.

It could also be lie angle. Even though you didn't physically change the lie angle of the club head, you changed the effective lie angle by changing the length of the shaft. Depending on the shafts, you could have changed the swing weight some too (though probably not enough for it to be the key to your success). I suggest figuring out the lie of the club you hit well and the playing length that way you can replicate that setup in the future when testing other clubs/shafts.
Good point, I forgot to mention both were with a 2 degree upright head, although according to the fitter, the 1" over shaft would have had 1/2 degree more uprightness due to the length. So in effect, I was hitting a 2 degree in the 1/2 and 2.5 degrees in the 1" shafts.

my last fitting earlier this summer resulted in 1" over and 2 degrees upright, which in effect was 3 degrees up. Right now I'm thinking I'm going to go the 1/2 over and ask for the lie to be 3 degrees up total.

A 1/2” is such a fine line. I’d guess it was your setup during that session.

Thanks all good points, and certainly about possibly picking up a yard or two by hitting the center of the club vs slightly missing it on longer shots, as I know the same principal holds true with the driver on a bigger scale (more club speeed)

Perhaps I need to come hit and of course SEE your 1/2 inch clubs...I seem to have read somewhere lately they are something special :D

I am having them re-shafted...once I get them back...I may have to come by and play Compasse.

I am having them re-shafted...once I get them back...I may have to come by and play Compasse.
Absolutely...just let me know, I'd love to have you out. You're welcome any time!

A 1/2” is such a fine line. I’d guess it was your setup during that session.

Meaning different setup for each length, or something about my setup that night allowed me to hit the 1/2 better?

Haven't had this issue with length but have seen a wide change in lie angle. Played 3 up for a number of years, at least that is where I thought I should be and now I'm playing my irons flat based on recent fittings.

Meaning different setup for each length, or something about my setup that night allowed me to hit the 1/2 better?

We are talking a very small amount of variance. The body will naturally setup to compensate and you won’t feel it. You adjusted to the length which might be where you need to be

Haven't had this issue with length but have seen a wide change in lie angle. Played 3 up for a number of years, at least that is where I thought I should be and now I'm playing my irons flat based on recent fittings.
Wow...didn't see that one coming, that's a huge difference. As stated, i play 2 degrees up and once I had to borrow a friends set that were the same length but two degrees flat, it was the worst irons striking day I've ever had, I couldn't keep the ball on the planet.

We are talking a very small amount of variance. The body will naturally setup to compensate and you won’t feel it. You adjusted to the length which might be where you need to be
Ok, gotcha now. Makes complete sense.

When I purchased my Mizuno MP14, this set was a custom order but the person who purchased it never came back to pick it up. But the club was fitted for a much taller person.....so the shaft was an inch lnger with a midsize grip.

Well the price was almost 70% of.......I purchased it. This purchase cleaned out my meager savings.....so I was not able to get it corrected.

I just choked down on it.......I actually fell in love with the midsize grip. I played with this set for almost 11 years. I still play with this set when I visit my family in the bay area.

When I purchased my Mizuno MP14, this set was a custom order but the person who purchased it never came back to pick it up. But the club was fitted for a much taller person.....so the shaft was an inch lnger with a midsize grip.

Well the price was almost 70% of.......I purchased it. This purchase cleaned out my meager savings.....so I was not able to get it corrected.

I just choked down on it.......I actually fell in love with the midsize grip. I played with this set for almost 11 years. I still play with this set when I visit my family in the bay area.
I play a midsize grip. And eveyone that wants to get my current irons to see how they are, come away loving the feel and size of the midsize grip. They are just so natural to me.

Back