Your Ball Position with Wedges and Short Irons

campilobaxter

Mustachioed Root Vegetable
Reaction score
Handicap
Unless I'm hitting a chip shot, i generally don't position the ball any further back than middle of my stance. However, I was playing with some much better players than me the other day, and they both recommended putting the ball one or two lengths back in my stance on anything 9 and higher for full shots. I gave it a shot and had some nice contact. I understand how it promotes a ball-first shot and crisp contact, but I had never considered putting it back there on full shots.

Where do you position the ball on these shots? What's the highest iron you will put in the center?

I play 9i down 1 ball behind center stance. 8i thru 6i I play middled. 5i and 4i I play 1 ball ahead center stance.

I play chips and pitches in the middle of my stance and vary feet width based on how far I'm trying to hit it. Unless playing a knockdown shot I play full shots with the same ball position and again vary stance width for iron

It’s a slippery thing to start just baselining ball position for certain clubs. Depends on the persons swing and what you’re trying to get out of the shot (at least for me). If I move the ball too far back (like middle ish) I will get super steep and unconsciously pull the handle. For me that either results in a bladed/shank type ball or a super fat shot haha. Also depends on width of my stance. Wider my stance the more up the ball appears. Narrow makes it seem farther back.

Now to answer your question, I will typically just make sure the ball is about even with my lead armpit/left nipple. Shorter irons are a more narrow stance obviously and if I’m trying to get it high, then I go armpit. A lower/more spinny shot I will go nipple. Same with my long irons but with a bit wider stance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same place in relation to my left foot on full swings. The longer the club the wider the stance. I used to hit my wedges farther back but I have gotten away from the steep AOA way back in stance wedge swing, it goes bad easily.

I play short irons and wedges just inside my right foot.

a work in progress for me. ball has crept back too far causing steep aoa and shanks.

so i'm working on keeping the hands in line with my belt buckle, shaft with almost no forward lean, ball just ahead so between the middle of my sternum and the logo on my shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a buddy that plays all of his short iron shots and wedges behind his right foot.

Wedges are either played back or coward never in the center. My ball postion with irons is middle with 7i and moving back as clubs get shorter and forward as they get longer.

I keep it in the middle from 7i all the way down to the wedges. Then I slowly start moving the ball forward towards the leading foot.

No stock position here. Can vary from just behind either foot dependent on what I'm trying to accomplish.

I play 9i down 1 ball behind center stance. 8i thru 6i I play middled. 5i and 4i I play 1 ball ahead center stance.
This is pretty much my rule of thumb as well. Worked pretty well for me. If I'm on the fringe it differs from what I'm trying to do as well, but my feet are almost together with maybe 2" most between them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wedges are either played back or coward never in the center. My ball postion with irons is middle with 7i and moving back as clubs get shorter and forward as they get longer.

Perhaps I should try this. I can tend to be a bit chunky with my irons so maybe this might work for me. I've never put anything except chips behind center.

Wedges are normally back of center for me, but it's more about where they are in relation to my sternum, not my feet. 90% of the golfers I play with have the ball forward of where it should be with their wegdes.

Wedges are normally back of center for me, but it's more about where they are in relation to my sternum, not my feet. 90% of the golfers I play with have the ball forward of where it should be with their wegdes.

How far back of centre (in relation to your sternum) do you take your wedges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How far back of centre (in relation to your sternum) do you take your wedges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

it depends upon the lie and my desired trajectory, but my sternum is always above or in front of(towards the target) the ball with pitch shots. If your sternum moves behind the ball, fat or thin shots are almost a guarantee,

Mine is a ball or two back in my stance from center for short irons and wedge shots.

This is what I attempt to do!!

With most irons, it's around the logo on shirt or left chest. I do play wedges forward of center as I like to use the bounce and come in shallow in normal situations. In the rough, I will play it more back and steep. With driver, I play it off my front big toe to get a positive AOA and higher launch. With woods, around my shoulder joint.

I play every full swing with the ball forward of my sternum.
I play my dead hand pitch shots off the inside of my back foot.

Wedges and short irons are middle or middle back of stance for me

Back