TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

awesome Rick Shiels joined the THP staff....

I have to say...I like the sound

Should have the M1 line in full here very shortly for testing. Will report back and have it in the hands of our staff writers for the most thorough in depth testing found anywhere. As I have said throughout, I think they are headed back in the right direction with this one, and with a solid message behind it (hopefully), have a solid starting point.

awesome Rick Shiels joined the THP staff....

Is this necessary? The staff here does a tremendous job, but no harm in seeing some early thoughts. There isn't a ton out there on it yet.

No doubt THP will put it through a thorough review.

Should have the M1 line in full here very shortly for testing. Will report back and have it in the hands of our staff writers for the most thorough in depth testing found anywhere. As I have said throughout, I think they are headed back in the right direction with this one, and with a solid message behind it (hopefully), have a solid starting point.
Looking forward to some thoughts and feedback. Everything I have seen and read makes me really want to hit this. Something simple like having a slider with the words High and Low for ball flight is nice. Sometimes the tech is there but it's too hard for people to understand. I'm digging what I have seen. Hope to hit one soon and pick one up in like 2-3 years when I can afford it. Haha

Definitely like the looks of this one, looks like i may have to wait till late next year(3 months from now internet time) for this to be discounted into my price range.

I'm very curious on this and want to hit one.

Looking forward to some thoughts and feedback. Everything I have seen and read makes me really want to hit this. Something simple like having a slider with the words High and Low for ball flight is nice. Sometimes the tech is there but it's too hard for people to understand. I'm digging what I have seen. Hope to hit one soon and pick one up in like 2-3 years when I can afford it. Haha

Spoke to a friend that put it through its paces and said "step in the right direction, more R1 than SLDR". He did say he thought the sound was R11S like, in that it is quite metallic sounding.

Good for TM.

Definitely looks awesome the more I see it. I really want to hit it, hybrid as well

Spoke to a friend that put it through its paces and said "step in the right direction, more R1 than SLDR". He did say he thought the sound was R11S like, in that it is quite metallic sounding.

Not a huge fan of the R11s sound, although I don't think anyone really was, but step in the right direction has me excited to hit it. That is more than I can say for a TM launch in the last couple of years.

Not a huge fan of the R11s sound, although I don't think anyone really was, but step in the right direction has me excited to hit it. That is more than I can say for a TM launch in the last couple of years.

Agreed. I honestly believe what I posted early this morning (i know its a long read) but that is 939 pages back at this point. Between some rather "unique" (meaning mundane) trolling and the normal hot/cold of TaylorMade products, I had to expect that would take place.

Im happy to hear a step in the right direction though. Good products + good marketing + good people = happy consumers. We will see how well they hit on these 3 things soon.

Step in the right direction. I like that. Too bad on the sound. R11s was great if it was filled with cotton.

The marketing is what remains to be seen to me. How will they continue to market this? If it is forgiving, they need to sell it as such.

Agreed. I honestly believe what I posted early this morning (i know its a long read) but that is 939 pages back at this point. Between some rather "unique" (meaning mundane) trolling and the normal hot/cold of TaylorMade products, I had to expect that would take place.

Im happy to hear a step in the right direction though. Good products + good marketing + good people = happy consumers. We will see how well they hit on these 3 things soon.
I sincerely hope that if indeed this is a great release that they will put out some good marketing to support it. It would be awful to see them with an awesome product and not the right message to get people to try it. Im one that really does hope this release can get them on the right track back towards the top

Very interesting discussion regarding sound since TM has claimed the below regarding the M1 on their site:

BEST IN
CLASS SOUND

INTERNAL ACOUSTIC ENGINEERING
CONTROLS VIBRATIONS AND
PITCHES TO PRODUCE A SOLID,
HOT AND CRISP SOUND.

Very interesting discussion regarding sound since TM has claimed the below regarding the M1 on their site:

BEST IN
CLASS SOUND

INTERNAL ACOUSTIC ENGINEERING
CONTROLS VIBRATIONS AND
PITCHES TO PRODUCE A SOLID,
HOT AND CRISP SOUND.

Its such a subjective thing that I think its hard to nail down or love/hate in detail. The rest of us could love it.

Its such a subjective thing that I think its hard to nail down or love/hate in detail. The rest of us could love it.

Agreed, very subjective. But for it to be R11s like which thus far seems to be disliked by most and yet be "best in class" is strange IMO.

Would love to see this "class" it was measured against that it was deemed best.

How much of that crown is influencing that?

I enjoyed the distance and sound of the R15. I really did. But, two things kept me from the purchase: it wasn't as straight as my G30 or the Z545, and the price tag to get the shaft I needed wound up around $600... Price I could've probably ended-up doing, but if I can't be as straight off the tee, it's a no go.
If this M1 is as forgiving as the G30 and has more length, I wouldn't be opposed.

It's really cool to see TM offer a whopping 28 no up charge shaft options. However I have yet to see any store or golf course anywhere within 60 miles of where I live that may carry all those options for a fitting. Even callaway shaft options can't be found. Only current stock shafts and what was available in fitting cart from prior models. I'd love to see how TM tackles that issue

Rich Shiels video is up. Doesn't sound amazing but doesn't sound bad either. Numbers are good but normal for current drivers. Could be camera angle but almost looks as it sets closed to me.

The R15 was underwhelming to me last year but this one is seems promising.

It's really cool to see TM offer a whopping 28 no up charge shaft options. However I have yet to see any store or golf course anywhere within 60 miles of where I live that may carry all those options for a fitting. Even callaway shaft options can't be found. Only current stock shafts and what was available in fitting cart from prior models. I'd love to see how TM tackles that issue

Undoubtedly an issue facing both of those OEM's as they offer so many options.

Folks tend to get chastised for not going through a fitting but if a fitter doesn't have all of the no upcharge options available then it makes it very challenging to get the win from a fitting.

While I may get great numbers with a shaft they have in stock I would have a tough time purchasing not knowing if one of the other shafts *could* perform any better for me.

That's not to say I need to hit all 20 or 28 or whatever it is......but have a hard time believing that one of the 3 available in the store is truly the best out of 20+ available.

Undoubtedly an issue facing both of those OEM's as they offer so many options.

Folks tend to get chastised for not going through a fitting but if a fitter doesn't have all of the no upcharge options available then it makes it very challenging to get the win from a fitting.

While I may get great numbers with a shaft they have in stock I would have a tough time purchasing not knowing if one of the other shafts *could* perform any better for me.

That's not to say I need to hit all 20 or 28 or whatever it is......but have a hard time believing that one of the 3 available in the store is truly the best out of 20+ available.
I agree whole heartedly. I will say this driver has gotten my attention. A recent positive experience with r15 430 has me looking at tm in a positive manner which I haven't done in a long time. Plus Jason Day keeps winning lol

Back