Should I, Shouldn't I..?

Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
My mind is made up... mostly. Convince me either way. I'm a member at a great club right now. It's not super kid friendly but family friendly,... yup! When I take the kids, it's usually to another local place. This club has everything one would want. Great golf, great food, decent (if I was 20 years older than I am then great) atmosphere. So as a nomad, vegabond, etc.. I'm always looking for the next place. Previous club has been mostly OK. I joined it though with the thought that every week night I'd be out there with my kids and every weekend I'd have a great round with them. They've stepped foot on the course itself 6 times. The cost per round is extortion level. Ouch.

The club I'm seriously considering for next year, fan-dang-tastic course. Great. WSG of golf plays there. I wasn't going to say it's name but after further thought, and only to provide further commentary, I will. Firestone CC.

What's the thought? I can afford it, but I guess they "fee" you to death? At least from what I've seen. I just want a place that I can play whenever I feel like it, and have a course to take my kids out whenever we have a chance. They've assured me that, most of the times that we'd have a chance to play, one of the courses would be open for play. Of course so did my home course. From my current home course I can only assume that they meant the range would be open??

For those with experience, is this place 1. Family friendly? And 2. Worth the dues AND the fees to play? I'm not real concerned with playing the championship course with my kids, maybe more than once a year. I am interested in not being blocked out from playing with them whenever we have a chance (course doesn't matter, just being able to play when we want to do so).

Pkorf was a member last year, so hopefully he sees the thread. No clue about family friendly ect but they are very nice courses. There is also the 9 hole public shortish course, which would probably be great for kids.

Thanks! I hope someone that can give an idea sees it. I'm leaning strongly towards it right now. I want a great course that I have decent access to, and basically any course (the better the better:)) that I can play almost at will with my kids. Price for the first time life, isn't super important, I just want a great place to play along with access for my kids. Pl

Two words Club Corp, if you can get comfortable with that then have a blast.

It depends on your goal and where you see yourself in a few years. I’ve been thinking about similar problem. My current club is pretty good as far as playing golf are concern. While not long it makes up by being narrow and demanding. It’s a great course to practice and I can see my daughter enjoying her first few years of golf. There are plenty of juniors to play with. She’s been out there with me since she’s 6 months old, now she’s three and a half, not playing yet but an excellent caddy.

The other courses I’m considering are not as quiet but the Course is better, more expensive for sure and a bit more formal. One that I’m considering has everything I look for in a private club and it’s 5 mins drive from my house but I played there a few times and I could get comfortable with the members there. They seems distant. It’s almost twice what I’m paying now.

I’m enjoying the smaller club setting right now as they are more relax I snugged out with my Segway X2 a few times already on the closed day the assistant pro seem to be more relax on the policy.

Current club has a good Jr Program which is very important to me, the course just isn't available to open play much when I have the time to play with the kids. It's also much less then Firestone and while a good course nowhere near that level. I figure with the 3 courses one of them should be open for play much of the time, at least I certainly hope so. I've got an email into their Membership Director so hopefully he can answer some questions too, but his job is to sell me something so opinions of those that have been members there are very valued!

Well done with the mini golfing buddy! My youngest went off to Kindergarten this year, I haven't felt like playing any weekday mornings since he did. I bet he was my only golfing partner for close to 200 rounds the past 4 years as my oldest two are much older then him. It'll go by much too fast so treasure every round with her! I sure miss "golpin" with him.

While doing my recideny in Akron, Ohio as Summa Health Care Systems I played Firestone many times including the South Course. Great courses as they have 3. If you can afford and they will allow you to join, it would be worth the effort. With three courses you should be able to play whenever you want.

While doing my recideny in Akron, Ohio as Summa Health Care Systems I played Firestone many times including the South Course. Great courses as they have 3. If you can afford and they will allow you to join, it would be worth the effort. With three courses you should be able to play whenever you want.

OP - I would definitely recommend reaching out to PKorf who held membership there. Not all ClubCorp experiences are created equal. In the Dallas area they are an s-show, over crowded courses, too much outside non-member play, outings galore. The ClubOne situation seems cool but as a member the courses lack a sense of community and exclusivity because anyone can play. I have a friend in SoCal who belongs to one of their courses and this isn't a problem for him so maybe this is unique to Dallas. My advice is to explore and ask challenging questions to ensure you don't end up with buyers remorse.

OP - I would definitely recommend reaching out to PKorf who held membership there. Not all ClubCorp experiences are created equal. In the Dallas area they are an s-show, over crowded courses, too much outside non-member play, outings galore. The ClubOne situation seems cool but as a member the courses lack a sense of community and exclusivity because anyone can play. I have a friend in SoCal who belongs to one of their courses and this isn't a problem for him so maybe this is unique to Dallas. My advice is to explore and ask challenging questions to ensure you don't end up with buyers remorse.

Thanks much. I appreciate the heads up. My current club is not affiliated with them and I didn't know much about them. Im assuming that you can get on any of their courses with a membership to, well, any of their courses? If that's the case, great! I'm joining their cheapest one! Lol.

Thanks much. I appreciate the heads up. My current club is not affiliated with them and I didn't know much about them. Im assuming that you can get on any of their courses with a membership to, well, any of their courses? If that's the case, great! I'm joining their cheapest one! Lol.

Yes - they have a program called ClubOne that allows you to play other courses for just a cart fee, assuming you are at a Tier One club which Firestone is. Want to say you pay an extra $50 for it. I wouldn’t worry about getting into the club, they are private equity owned so the cash register is always open!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two words Club Corp, if you can get comfortable with that then have a blast.

I was going to say that too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ditto on reaching out to PKorf on Firestone.

My father in law is a member there, and isn't always able to get on his course of choice when he is in town. My little experience there screams golf club to me. Great courses, but not as many amenities for non golfers in the family. A golf factory.

I’ll be seriously thinking about joining a club in a few years if my boys continue to show interest in golf. And like you, availability to play with the kids would be one of the top priorities. I’m in the Ohio area and have golfed Firestone a few times as a guest, but don’t know enough to help you out. Hope you find something that fits your requirements.

I’ll be seriously thinking about joining a club in a few years if my boys continue to show interest in golf. And like you, availability to play with the kids would be one of the top priorities. I’m in the Ohio area and have golfed Firestone a few times as a guest, but don’t know enough to help you out. Hope you find something that fits your requirements.

Thanks! I have three boys, 14, 12, and 5. That's my dream foursome, and it becomes a reality once a week or so. My 14 year old grew so fast that he could barely make contact this spring. I have a swing video of him hitting the ball between his legs from the tee with driver, that's how bad it got. He's come a long ways since then and now is very solid, until he needs to use any touch. Three putts from 8ft are common for him.

My 12 year old has a sweet looking swing and some killer short game skills. He's as good around the green as I am. He actually makes more long putts and chips than me, but I'm a little more consistent. He's a very good hand/eye athlete. Can only get it out to 160-170 from the tee but once he gains some length he'll be very good-if he continues to work on it.

My little fella, he only putts when we play. He got his very own set of clubs earlier this year (driver, iron, wedge). I probably played 200 rounds with him alone over the last 4 years. He's in school now and I really miss his companionship. He was the only witness to my only hole in one. He's been there for me whenever I needed encouragement. I really miss my little golfing buddy!

So that's why I want to do this. I'd like to take advantage of their youth. They're growing up so fast and I want to have zero regrets once they're older. How cool would it be to play a round with them on the same course that they play a WSG event on? That is what I'm after. Memories. Lots of them.

Back