Cleveland Launcher HB Hybrid Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP Review of the new line of hybrids from Cleveland Golf. The rebirth of the brand was big this year and we know a number of THPers that have these in their bags from the THP Event.

In this review, Dean gives you all of the technical information, as well as his thorough testing with the launch monitor for the data many enjoy.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/cleveland-launcher-hb-hybrid-review/

Great thorough review Dean. Not surprised that the launch was very good with this but am a bit surprised that it did not turn out to be more of a distance hybrid instead of the distance being more iron replacement like.

Great review Dean. I love the looks of these and would love to demo them. I need to upgrade from my current hybrids one of these days.

Great job Dean! Didn't care for the white on the crown. I'm also surprised the distance wasn't there as I would have expected.

Great review Dean, I'm glad to see Cleveland back with a full line of clubs. The lack of adjustability doesn't bother me and it sounds like they put the weight savings to good use.

I'm not one that wants a distance hybrid as they are nothing more than an extension of the irons for me designed to land at a specific yardage. with that said, a drop in 5-10 yards would cause concerns for me cause that's the difference between being in a trap/water instead of on the green but would really have to see how it integrates into the bag.

Solid price point also!

Good stuff Dean, as usual.

Great thorough review Dean. Not surprised that the launch was very good with this but am a bit surprised that it did not turn out to be more of a distance hybrid instead of the distance being more iron replacement like.

As long as the distance is consistent, I can get mostly behind that. Would depend on where it fit in the bag. If it flew high enough to hold greens and went straight, I'd bag a 19˚ hybrid if it was the same distance as my 4I.

Good stuff Dean, as usual.

As long as the distance is consistent, I can get mostly behind that. Would depend on where it fit in the bag. If it flew high enough to hold greens and went straight, I'd bag a 19˚ hybrid if it was the same distance as my 4I.
I agree and much prefer them to be iron replacement distance for gapping purposes. I am a much bigger fan of FWs than hybrids so use those for my distance clubs above my iron set distance range.

you guys are hitting the nail on the head for message I wanted to portray, without shouting it out loud. Depending on the player, hybrids could either be distance monsters, or used to hit a certain number(kind of like wedges). This one, for me, ranks in the the category of finding your number. It's an easy to hit club, that for someone looking for the right number, will be able see some good success with. During my time, it's not the distance seeking club like we've seen in some other offerings, but really consistent.

Great stuff dean, I remember having some of the first hi bore clubs and really liking them, can't wait to give these things a try. So glad Cleveland/Srixon kept the Miyazaki as the stock shaft options!

I'm not a fan of that white line on the crown at all. But I'm intrigued by the 5555 C.Kua shaft.

Great review Dean, as someone that doesnt need a distance monster any longer, Id love to give these a try. Easy to hit FTW

I agree and much prefer them to be iron replacement distance for gapping purposes. I am a much bigger fan of FWs than hybrids so use those for my distance clubs above my iron set distance range.

Same here. I've never gamed anything lower lofted than 21˚*in a hybo before because I like my 5W so much in that spot. I do think sometimes that i'd be better off with a hybrid in the bag than a 4I if I could find one I hit consistently well.

Great review Dean, as someone that doesnt need a distance monster any longer, Id love to give these a try. Easy to hit FTW

Amen to that.

For those who took the time to read this morning:

A)thank you
B)With data I pretty much just threw it in a chart, thoughts on how it was presented?

For those who took the time to read this morning:

A)thank you
B)With data I pretty much just threw it in a chart, thoughts on how it was presented?

Presented well. Would enjoy seeing comparison numbers to other hybrids in same loft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Presented well. Would enjoy seeing comparison numbers to other hybrids in same loft.

I would stray from doing that in a review article because I don't want to bring in other brands(if that makes sense), but have some and can do so in the review thread.

I would stray from doing that in a review article because I don't want to bring in other brands(if that makes sense), but have some and can do so in the review thread.

Cool, review thread works. Just good to have a baseline when thinking about numbers you get from others and where this lands.

Let me add too, that I don't believe these articles should be treated as direct comparison numbers. For example if I am going from numbers that I recorded 18 months ago with a club with similar specs, but then doing the same on something new, but not hitting them side by side, same day, same balls, same-ish swing, then the numbers are truly going to be a strong comparison IMO. Like the day I did a side by side with the D300, Steelhead, and this, those were what I would call good comparisons because many of the variables were the same. Now a direct comparison to my last range session with this where I used only this and just pounded balls and grabbed numbers, I don't think that is a complete fair comparison. Does it mean they can't be used, no, but they are not going to be presented as complete apples to apples IMO.

Im usually a huge fan of visible tech, but that crown just kills the want to hit this club for me. But i can see where it would help alignment at address like you mentioned. How much weight does an adapter add over a fixed hosel?

Im usually a huge fan of visible tech, but that crown just kills the want to hit this club for me. But i can see where it would help alignment at address like you mentioned. How much weight does an adapter add over a fixed hosel?

varies by company. But when you think of the weight of an adapter + weight of screw vs epoxy, you are getting more grams to play with, and as you know, saving 5 grams of weight and being able to use them elsewhere has become a big deal with the slim margins these engineers are working with. I remember the old FlexLoft adapters used to be in that 11-12 gram range, then they were able to save weight and get it closer to like 8 I believe.

And I think Callaway's adapter is right around 8 grams.

varies by company. But when you think of the weight of an adapter + weight of screw vs epoxy, you are getting more grams to play with, and as you know, saving 5 grams of weight and being able to use them elsewhere has become a big deal with the slim margins these engineers are working with. I remember the old FlexLoft adapters used to be in that 11-12 gram range, then they were able to save weight and get it closer to like 8 I believe.

And I think Callaway's adapter is right around 8 grams.

Ya I get it and it makes sense, just wonder how many will pass on it because it's not adjustable therefor doesnt look as tech heavy as the rest on the shelf and it gets overlooked.

The more I look at it the more I want to hit it haha that crown is crazy but in a good way

Ya I get it and it makes sense, just wonder how many will pass on it because it's not adjustable therefor doesnt look as tech heavy as the rest on the shelf and it gets overlooked.

The more I look at it the more I want to hit it haha that crown is crazy but in a good way

I'm starting to think the adjustable craze on clubs outside of the driver, is starting to die down. Now I have zero proof of that, but I feel like in those clubs people are more likely to set and forget than they are with a driver. Although I think the number of people who change the setting on their driver is slim too.

I'm starting to think the adjustable craze on clubs outside of the driver, is starting to die down. Now I have zero proof of that, but I feel like in those clubs people are more likely to set and forget than they are with a driver. Although I think the number of people who change the setting on their driver is slim too.

Agreed. Especially when the utility iron that came out with an adjustable hosel didnt do so well. I figured they would all be coming out with adjustibility after that. I dont have an adjustable hosel on my hybrid and honestly I've never wanted one. Just interesting to see which companies decide to be bold and go against the grain to an extent

I can see the logic there. Quite honestly the adjustability for me at this point may as well be just for shaft tinkering. Once I get something set the way I like it, I pretty much leave it. With FWs & hybos, that usually means standard, unless it's a player-type FW I might switch it to draw.

I'd love to see the spooned out shape in person. Haven't checked the local stores yet to see if they have them in stock. I gamed the old HiBore's, and have a mixed Altitude/MB 588 set, so I know how the scoop looks in their irons. The Classic and Mashie had a much more traditional, rounded shape though. I don't think it'd bother me though, and don't think the silver line across the top of the crown would bother me either. With hybrids now getting cup face technology, was price the factor that kept it out of this hybrid? Would it have helped generate a bit more distance?

I've decided that I'm not seeking distance out of my hybrids, as much as I want control, any longer. It's why I'm moving back to the W/S D100's over the D200's for the time being. I'll have to give these a look. Already having a lot of fun (and success) with the CBX wedges.

It seemed like a stretch to me. I like it for drivers and fairways, but if hybrids are an extension of irons, and iron's aren't adjustable, it makes less sense to have hybrids be adjustable. Might allow you to do a bit of tweaking to get a better gap ... but it'd likely only ever be adjusted once.

wanted to take a second and thank all who gave this a read today.

Back