Golf's Shark Tank

PhillyV

Original Ass-Cap : G15' & G18'
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
So lately I've found myself watching Shark Tank on tv as much as I can. Something about seeing the American Dream lived out in front of me and these ideas being turned into monster products we see packed in stores is really something interesting. And there have been countless golf gimmicks in stores and on infomercials. So my question is this:

You have been invited to be a guest on the Golf Shark Tank. What idea are you bringing to the Tank?

Triton...oops, wrong show.

Seriously, if someone had an idea for an undeveloped product, I don't think they would want to (or should) put it out on the net.

If it was a real product that one was marketing ( proof of concept being a biggy for ST considiration) one would likely be violating this site rules for product promotion.

So while I like Shark Tank too, I think this thread is one that shouldn't go anywhere or any posters with serious ideas are going to shoot themselves in the foot. Sorry.

Triton...oops, wrong show.

Seriously, if someone had an idea for an undeveloped product, I don't think they would want to (or should) put it out on the net.

If it was a real product that one was marketing ( proof of concept being a biggy for ST considiration) one would likely be violating this site rules for product promotion.

So while I like Shark Tank too, I think this thread is one that shouldn't go anywhere or any posters with serious ideas are going to shoot themselves in the foot. Sorry.

Or you could just discuss golf equipment with a twist?

I thought I had my million dollar idea, but it turns out it is already patented.....

Bike rack golf bag. When I was living in Chicago I would ride my bike to the range with a number of clubs in a messenger bag. With the bike rack golf bag, you'd be able to attach the bag to any standard bike rack and be on your way.

Sorry, my opinion is still the same for same reasons.

Well we don’t have to worry about any ideas from you.

———————————-

Solid idea Phil, should be fun to see what people come up with.

I'll throw this one out there, because (a) there are probably several companies already working on it and (b) I have no plans to actually execute on it. The idea alone is kind of worthless...

Arccos' virtual caddie feature is great, but it's scope is too small. With the pace at which machine learning algorithms are improving there's no reason you shouldn't be able to build a similar system based on *all* of your swing data.

Ideally I'd like to see something like Trackman or a CG2 built into my phone (or a phone sized package). I want to be able to practice and play sim golf at home, track shots on the course, and have all of that data accessible all the time. Ideally it would make on course recommendations as well as suggest new clubs to buy as they're released, or possible spec changes that might help optimize my numbers.

By the time I retire I hope to see something like this (or I'll be a bit disappointed).

I'll throw this one out there, because (a) there are probably several companies already working on it and (b) I have no plans to actually execute on it. The idea alone is kind of worthless...

Arccos' virtual caddie feature is great, but it's scope is too small. With the pace at which machine learning algorithms are improving there's no reason you shouldn't be able to build a similar system based on *all* of your swing data.

Ideally I'd like to see something like Trackman or a CG2 built into my phone (or a phone sized package). I want to be able to practice and play sim golf at home, track shots on the course, and have all of that data accessible all the time. Ideally it would make on course recommendations as well as suggest new clubs to buy as they're released, or possible spec changes that might help optimize my numbers.

By the time I retire I hope to see something like this (or I'll be a bit disappointed).

See i think there's just too many people that are too lazy to use their phones that much while golfing. Look at how many people say its too hard to post in live updates while playing in an event :alien:

See i think there's just too many people that are too lazy to use their phones that much while golfing. Look at how many people say its too hard to post in live updates while playing in an event :alien:

I hear you.

That said, for nuts like us it would finally make the new phones well worth $1K+ :p

I hear you.

That said, for nuts like us it would finally make the new phones well worth $1K+ :p

I think apps are where a lot of the new ideas are headed towards but if they arent done right theyre so annoying with terrible interfaces and adds galore. I really liked the shot tracer app I downloaded but it was worse that tapatalk before I paid for the premium service

I think apps are where a lot of the new ideas are headed towards but if they arent done right theyre so annoying with terrible interfaces and adds galore. I really liked the shot tracer app I downloaded but it was worse that tapatalk before I paid for the premium service

18Birdies is the perfect example of this. GIve a good intention group a bunch of money and they seem lost and confused.
Signing tour players, when your app can't handle AS or Shamble seems a bit backwards : )

Self fitting seems like a great way to go.

I would have said GPS in golf balls, but saw a post in here the other day linking an article showing someone is already selling them at $25 a pop.

I like the idea of WAZE for golf courses.

This way you know before you head out what the pace of play is....crowd sourcing this information would be perfect.

It could also be used by the marshals to see where the hold-up is. ( I am sure they do this with GPS golf carts, but not everyone drives..my course has lots of walkers.)

Players could also comment on course conditions, and their general experience.

Additionally, it can be used by players to summon the proshop or order food.

You can alert them that you found a club, or that you need a glove, or let the beer cart know where you are and that you want beer!

It seems to me that it would be very useful and affordable.

I like the idea of WAZE for golf courses.

This way you know before you head out what the pace of play is....crowd sourcing this information would be perfect.

It could also be used by the marshals to see where the hold-up is. ( I am sure they do this with GPS golf carts, but not everyone drives..my course has lots of walkers.)

Players could also comment on course conditions, and their general experience.

Additionally, it can be used by players to summon the proshop or order food.

You can alert them that you found a club, or that you need a glove, or let the beer cart know where you are and that you want beer!

It seems to me that it would be very useful and affordable.

Granite Links Golf Club in Quincy, MA has this feature. Not as in depth as you’re talking but they have mounted GPS units which are monitored from the pro shop. The guys in there then notify the marshalls if there’s more than 4 carts on one hole. Walking isn’t an option so it works well. They also advertise for their turn shack and their restaurant and list the number right there on the screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Bi-Matrix shaft made me think of this.

Develop a shaft that has 3 parts (tip section, middle section and butt section) that all screw together. Then offer the sections in different weights and flex profiles. This way you could mix and match the sections to your liking.

I'll call it the 3-Section ?

A driving range with a GPS feature built into the ball. Like a Trackman but without a Trackman.

Each ball has a GPS and you download an app at the Range. When you purchase a bucket, you get which number balls you get and you enter that into your phone so it tracks each ball. Then an automatic counter can run after each ball you hit. Somehow make it so that the bucket dispenses the balls one at a time in numerical order.

This would help noobs like me learn which clubs for which distances much better than the flags at the range, and also easier than using a Range Finder there as well.

It certainly wouldn't necessarily be as accurate or give you as much information as a Trackman, but I would imagine something like that would be much cheaper to implement, and I also would imagine it could give you distance and trajectory/spray based on GPS coordinates.

A driving range with a GPS feature built into the ball. Like a Trackman but without a Trackman.

Each ball has a GPS and you download an app at the Range. When you purchase a bucket, you get which number balls you get and you enter that into your phone so it tracks each ball. Then an automatic counter can run after each ball you hit. Somehow make it so that the bucket dispenses the balls one at a time in numerical order.

This would help noobs like me learn which clubs for which distances much better than the flags at the range, and also easier than using a Range Finder there as well.

It certainly wouldn't necessarily be as accurate or give you as much information as a Trackman, but I would imagine something like that would be much cheaper to implement, and I also would imagine it could give you distance and trajectory/spray based on GPS coordinates.

good thought for sure, would be expensive for ranges which already arent really making money (or so it seems). Gotta think the tech is there though

A Stand Bag with a Camel Back type water bladder in it to fill and a "straw" you can use while walking with your bag over your shoulder. Removable to refill and clean. In an insulated pocket to keep the water cold. Eliminates the Water bottle you have to carry around and you can suck on the straw as you get to your ball.

i always thought about a launch monitor type of device attached to the golf carts that would read out your shots from the course to the display most golf carts with GPS have...that way you can see what you are really hitting on the course.

Self fitting seems like a great way to go.

If a relatively inexpensive app ever made the self-fitting market take off, I wonder whether there might also be a market for something like the original version of Netflix that essentially serves as a self-fitting cart. For example, if I want to try to Ping G400 with an Evenflow Blue, an Attas Punch, and a Tour AD, I put in my order. I pay some set fee (say $25 per driver head and $15 per shaft), and the company sends me a G400 head and all three shafts with Ping adapters. I have a week to try them out with my sweet fitting app. Then, I send them back, although I also have an option to keep and purchase what I like. If I break them or don't send them back, my credit card is charged for the full value.

My gut says that the idea is probably not viable for a few different reasons. First, there would be a lot of inventory cost on the front end to make sure that there were enough current clubheads and premium shafts. Second, people in bigger cities can already try a ton of different options at places like Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore. Third, the reality is that most casual golfers just buy off the rack, so the demand for something like this would be limited to the subset of golfers that (a) cares about fittings, and (b) is interested in trying non-stock options (in other words, people like THPers). So even though I would definitely use it myself, I don't think it would probably fly.

The cheaper alternative for ranges exists now, which is fun. Ernest Sports and Foresight both offer range dividers with launch monitor data built in to help golfers get their info accurately. Lots of fun.

This is about 6 miles from my house: http://golfcenterofarlington.com/toptracer-3/

A Stand Bag with a Camel Back type water bladder in it to fill and a "straw" you can use while walking with your bag over your shoulder. Removable to refill and clean. In an insulated pocket to keep the water cold. Eliminates the Water bottle you have to carry around and you can suck on the straw as you get to your ball.

not quite that, but similar. It is basically a camelback that straps onto your carry bag.

http://forepack.com/

The Bi-Matrix shaft made me think of this.

Develop a shaft that has 3 parts (tip section, middle section and butt section) that all screw together. Then offer the sections in different weights and flex profiles. This way you could mix and match the sections to your liking.

I'll call it the 3-Section ��

I don't think that would be legal unless you find a way for the part that secures them to be able to bend in all directions, silly USGA rules.

Back