Throwback Thursday - Tommy Armour Ti100 Irons

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Thought Throwback Thursday deserved to be reincarnated so I am gonna take a crack at. The Tommy Armour Ti100 irons were huge, literally and figuratively in 1996 as they were the first 100% titanium iron. This made them huge in size. They retailed for $1200.00 for a steel shafted set and $1500.00 for graphite. Adjusted for inflation this would be almost $1900.00 in 2017 for steel and $2400.00 for graphite. I sold quite a few sets when I worked at Van's Golf in Scottsdale but they were almost universally panned as they felt terrible and because of the metal and construction they were wildly unforgiving considering the size.

SBCm4OR.jpg

ARMOUR UNVEILS REVOLUTIONARY "TITANIUM" IRONS; Armour Ti/100 Oversize Irons Are Golf's First 100% Pure Titanium Irons.

MORTON GROVE, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--August 5, 1996--Tommy Armour Golf Company today unveiled a major breakthrough in golf club technology, with the introduction of the Armour Ti|100 oversize irons, the golf industry's first 100% pure titanium irons. The new irons, the Company expects, will revolutionize the golf club industry much in the same way as the first metal wood, the cavity back iron and the inserted putter, while establishing and shaping the future of the titanium iron category.

"Titanium is the future of the golf club industry and the Armour Ti|100 irons will move us further toward our goal as being the number one golf equipment company," said Michael Magerman, President and CEO, Tommy Armour Golf Company. "These irons are incredibly easy to hit and so forgiving that golfers, on all levels, will be amazed at how well they perform."

The Armour Ti|100 irons are the largest iron heads in the golf industry with a constant face area of 6.5 inches, offering a larger sweetspot for unmatched accuracy. Pure, 100% titanium is the base metal used in the Ti|100 irons, providing a softer feel than the standard 6/4 titanium used in the manufacturing of today's titanium metal woods.

"Because pure titanium is a superior metal to 6/4 titanium, we were able to make the Ti|100 the most forgiving and best feeling iron on the market," said John Krzynowek, VP of Marketing, Tommy Armour Golf. "Pure titanium is softer than 6/4 titanium, which dramatically enhances the feel of the irons."

Krzynowek adds, "The oversized cavity and unique "cut-away" sole, which was designed to dramatically reduce turf drag and provide a more solid feel through the ball, make the Ti|100 the easiest, most playable iron available."

The Ti|100 irons were concurrently designed with the industry's premier shaft (Aldila & True Temper) and grip (Golf Pride & Royal) suppliers to maximize the product's overall performance, resulting in a club that is one ounce lighter than a standard oversize graphite iron, with more weight closer to the point of impact.

"These irons will inspire confidence, both on the tee and on the fairway, like never before," adds Magerman. "Players will experience distance they never thought they could achieve, while maintaining control and accuracy of the ball."

The Ti|100 irons line is the first product developed at Armour's new state-of-the-art R&E facility in Carlsbad, CA. The facility is consistent with the Company's emphasis on developing demonstrably better, visibly different golf equipment.

"The Ti|100 irons are a breakthrough equivalent to the golf industry's most significant `new category' products," said John Krzynowek, Vice President of Marketing, Tommy Armour Golf Company. "By launching the first 100% pure titanium irons, Armour has created a new category in the golf club industry and set the standard by which all future titanium irons will be held."

In developing the Ti|100 irons, Armour conducted extensive nationwide consumer testing with golfers at all playing levels. While "soft feel" and "very forgiving" were standard responses, results showed that the long irons were exceptionally easy to hit.

The Ti|100 irons will be available in 3-iron through pitching wedge sets, with the 1-iron, 2-iron, a mid-wedge and sand wedge available as auxiliary clubs. The irons will be made available in Men's Right-hand with graphite and steel shafts (available in August 1996); Women's Right-hand with graphite shafts (available in September 1996); and Men's Left-hand with graphite and steel shafts (available in March 1997). Graphite shaft flexes will be Stiff, Medium, Light and Women's.

Suggested retail price for the Armour Ti|100 pure titanium irons will be $1,500 graphite/$1,200 steel per set (3-PW), and $187.50 graphite/$150 steel per single club offering (1-iron, 2-iron, mid-wedge and SW).

Those are fun and I love the reincarnation of TBT.
I remember this set like it was yesterday.

Amazing something that big could be that unforgiving. Nice find David

Those are fun and I love the reincarnation of TBT.
I remember this set like it was yesterday.

I have a number of products in my head from the late 90's I love to think and talk about. The fact that there is no Zebra putter available for sale is an outrage.

No that is a shovel!! These clubs sat on the rack at the Biltmore from the day they were released til we gave them away 1.5 years later.

Dang that seems high for back then.

No that is a shovel!! These clubs sat on the rack at the Biltmore from the day they were released til we gave them away 1.5 years later.

Did it come with a LiquidMetal driver?

Never played them or saw them. Really like the adjustment for inflation, crazy they would be in the same price range as Epic irons - of course without the same tech lol

The carved out areas on the sole look like they would scoop turf, not glide right through...

Never played them or saw them. Really like the adjustment for inflation, crazy they would be in the same price range as Epic irons - of course without the same tech lol

That's why I always scoff at the "Equipment is Expensive" today comments when in reality we are paying less for most new items.

Good thread Fupy. TBT needed to come back! I have a couple of sets to throw up for TBT.

I remember those. They looked so cool in the stores.
All the locals were wanting Wilson Fat Shaft irons, and Orlimar tri-metal fwy woods.

I only tried these out a few times, but the turf interaction was especially horrible.

Nice and fun! I gamed my 855's a couple of years ago for a full season and loved them.

Did not see these but the Silver Scott’s were great clubs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember this club - came out when Callaway had their great Big Bertha titanium iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for a while I used an Armour Ti 100 one iron off the tee

it had the "marker" on the face

I could never hit it off the grass

Armour Ti 100.jpg

Thanks for bringing Throwback Thursday out of retirement. It's always fun to see the equipment and the related advertising.

Back