Ponders and purchases

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
We all like shiny and new stuff as well as get attracted to the buzz of new gear. Outside of these reasons what makes you ponder something new or new to you and what pushes you from ponder to purchase?

We all like shiny and new stuff as well as get attracted to the buzz of new gear. Outside of these reasons what makes you ponder something new or new to you and what pushes you from ponder to purchase?

Boredom...the offseason I need something to do and look forward to since I can't get out on the course much.

It's the end of our season up here and every year I start looking at drivers. I know there is a unicorn for me that will take my driver from good enough to great.

I'm also pondering wedges because my current ones don't have the feel I like and the 50* is terrible to hit full shots with.

Is simple terms. Boredom and knowing I can find a better fit for me.

Boredom is a real thing! LOL

Reviews get me a ton. With the decline of Golfsmith I don't get to hit nearly as many clubs as I used to without driving for a while, so I do rely on reviews here a fair amount. Also, if I have a club that I just can't get along with I may be inclined to search for a test replacement. :D

Ponder is generally driven by the reviews here, and the buzz created by new releases etc.

Purchases are driven by my boss telling me I have some golf money available. Generally speaking I stay in ponder mode a VERY long time lol.

Performance on the course forces me....when I'm not happy with something then I look at equipment to fix it.

I only have one hobby and no kids.

I like shiny and new, but I think it gets to a time where I want a change. I tend to change irons every 4 or 5 years and wedges every couple of years. That is when I usually get the itch and the winter is usually the best time to make a switch .

Change mainly, I like to try new stuff and if it is affordable budget wise I will get it. This year new irons will be a reward for me finishing treatment. :D

Boredom...the offseason I need something to do and look forward to since I can't get out on the course much.

Yep. a lot of my purchases come during the winter when I can't even play haha.

typically it's a bad day with a certain club to make me want to move on from it. other times it's me reading a thread or a post about a certain club performance and I start the ponder.

It's usually the swing of the mood for me. Sometimes you're just in the mood to buy new clubs

It's a mood thing for me. I like trying new equipment so I pull the trigger. When I find something I like it tends to stay in the bag for a little while though.

At my age, it's about yardage. I'm looking for more yards off the tee. I used to be obsessed with the head of the driver, but thanks to THP, I now realize that the right shaft makes all the difference. Now I ponder shaft choices more than anything. If I can gain another 5-7 yards, I'm seriously thinking about making that purchase.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

A couple of horrible rounds and a club(s) not doing what you command it to do will do it every time. Plus I like tech.

I spend so much time making sure everyone else is happy I have no guilt in being nice to myself.

I usually start to ponder when something in my bag isn't behaving, it happens to everyone. The ponder to purchase happens for me when the ponder has gone on for months on end for the same piece of equipment OR said piece of misbehaving equipment just completely fails me. It can be a viscous cycle if a cave to frequently though, luckily my ponders right now are very minimal.

I've been sticking to tried & true lately, but I do want to demo the new Cleveland hybrids. I need an upgrade there, but I'm sticking with my driver, woods and square grooved irons and wedges.

Three things have to happen for me to move from ponder to purchase.

1. Price. It has to be a good deal. I’ve never paid retail for a club, and can’t imagine ever doing so. The vast majority of what I’ve bought have been used clubs that are several years old.

2. Desire. It has to be something I’ve wanted long enough to convince myself that I actually do want it.

3. Results. I never buy anything after trying it just once. If I hit it well the first time I try it I’ll go back two or three more times to try to confirm my results. This is problematic since I already mentioned I really only buy used stuff. There have been a number of times I found something I wanted and hit well, only to find it gone before I could confirm it was going to work for me.

Since all of those are difficult to meet before something disappears from the rack, I don’t buy a lot of equipment.

I just like to try everything. Especially great looking clubs. Despite knowing that it won’t lower my score, I’ll still keep changing

If I can get something that can help my game I consider purchasing it.

The main thing that drives my pondering engine is just a love of golf equipment. I like to take a piece that catches my eye or intrigues me and run it through the ponder - demo - maybe buy sequence.

To push me from pondering to buying requires a few things. Performance that is better than what I have, solid opportunity to buy, and perhaps being disenchanted with my current club in that position.

When I’m struggling with a club is when I will start to ponder about picking up something new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back