Cobra KING LTD Driver Preview

My guess would be most could probably play just fine with the stock option but most would certainly benefit with the correct shaft no? And believe me I'm asking this question genuinely.
Ssy you hit stock shaft mid flight with about 230 carry. Then you hit an after market a few yards further. There is no reason to switch. I think is going to be the case more often them not.

I think they source out an average shaft with likely less than average quality, have it screened to say it's a name brand made for them and sell it as is.

This is just not accurate.

I think people also need to get away from the notion that all stock shafts are a poorer design.
T.O. was telling me that the Cobra stock is closer to aftermarket then the perceived made for shaft.

Ok I give up JB I'm wrong about everything it seems. Have a good day.

Its not about one person being right or wrong. Its about making sure correct information is out there. A bunch of THPers just sat with Project X and discussed this very thing. Ddec and I were just at 4 different shaft companies in the last 5 days. The idea that made for shafts are just cheaper materials is not the case. It certainly can be, but there is a WHOLE lot more to it than that.

Not that at all dude, but made for shafts somehow being less than average quality isn't true. Most of the times it is a shaft that is similar to its "real deal" counterpart with changes that optimize it for that head. I had discussions with Callaway about this exact thing at the #Grandaddy and it was fascinating to learn about

I sort of left Cobra after they started going after the younger market. I'd be interested in hitting this new model, if it helped the older generation hit the ball high with longish carry.

Most of us don't get the privilege of getting 1st hand in person info from manufacturers so we rely on reading reviews and data from publications, blogs, vlogs etc...

I sort of left Cobra after they started going after the younger market. I'd be interested in hitting this new model, if it helped the older generation hit the ball high with longish carry.

get back to your snake charmer roots.

Most of us don't get the privilege of getting 1st hand in person info from manufacturers so we rely on reading reviews and data from publications, blogs, vlogs etc...

That's what we are hear for, to try and pass that knowledge and tidbits along. What you mentioned may have been the case in certain OEM's not too long ago. One thing that stuck out to me when listening to Don at PX talking about stock shafts was that there are some companies out there whose specs for those shafts are even stronger than they are for aftermarket shafts. If the shaft fails to meeting just 1 piece of the criteria, then the company has sent them the entire order back. So there are companies out there who do care about putting a high quality shaft in their stock offerings.

I really cant wait to hit this driver and compare it to my Bridgestone.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Its not about one person being right or wrong. Its about making sure correct information is out there. A bunch of THPers just sat with Project X and discussed this very thing. Ddec and I were just at 4 different shaft companies in the last 5 days. The idea that made for shafts are just cheaper materials is not the case. It certainly can be, but there is a WHOLE lot more to it than that.
It's because manufacturers could put out all the info they possibly can and too many people in positions of what you would think should be knowledgeable are not, I'll tell you right now the head club builder at the PGA superstore over by me told me that they don't always use the best when mass producing shafts. This was told to me because he put my old Callaway driver on the monitor and it revealed that my regular flex shaft was actually a senior flex. When I called Callaway I was told shafts get weaker over time. That's something I learned wasn't the case after watching the THP video with I believe UST shafts. Now the guy at the PGA store and the person from Callaway should know better but why wouldn't I as a consumer believe them?

I think it depends on definition of average though right? Now days most shafts are in fact "made for" or are actual name brand after market. Fujikura isn't going to make a Made For shaft that is up to the standards of their after market shaft of the same name, that simply would make very little financial sense. When you sit down with an OEM they aren't going to sit there and tell you the shaft isn't as good as the original, they are going to sell you on their product. Shafts today are 100x better than shafts from 20 years ago, so even the Made For ones aren't bad, but the real question is are they above average when you factor in the overall quality available on the market?

I think it depends on definition of average though right? Now days most shafts are in fact "made for" or are actual name brand after market. Fujikura isn't going to make a Made For shaft that is up to the standards of their after market shaft of the same name, that simply would make very little financial sense. When you sit down with an OEM they aren't going to sit there and tell you the shaft isn't as good as the original, they are going to sell you on their product. Shafts today are 100x better than shafts from 20 years ago, so even the Made For ones aren't bad, but the real question is are they above average when you factor in the overall quality available on the market?

it's part of a catch 22. Using Fuji as an example, we spent almost 3 hours with them last week, and this was discussed because they were a stock shaft for a long time with TM. If they run in to a stock shaft problem, and there is a lot of breakage, what does that do to the reputation of Fujikura? It makes them look bad, it makes the OEM look bad, and nobody wants that. So when a person wants to go with an aftermarket shaft after breaking their stock shaft, do you think they are running to Fujikura to purchase one? Most likely not.

The Baffler line might be right up you alley

get back to your snake charmer roots.

We'll see how this dawg hunts in the testing stage, reviews, etc. Initial thoughts sound interesting for sure.

Absolutely that's true it is a complete catch 22 like I said above they aren't making bad shafts, that wouldn't make sense, but it also wouldn't make sense for them to be made at the same quality of shaft they can get 10x the money for. It's 75% marketing based IMO. And yes I do like to play devil's advocate. If everyone is just a yes sir there is no need for discussion.

Absolutely that's true it is a complete catch 22 like I said above they aren't making bad shafts, that wouldn't make sense, but it also wouldn't make sense for them to be made at the same quality of shaft they can get 10x the money for. It's 75% marketing based IMO. And yes I do like to play devil's advocate. If everyone is just a yes sir there is no need for discussion.

no problem. I've enjoyed the heck out of this discussion. It's good to discuss things without people getting all up in arms.

Sorry if I missed it but what is the stock shaft for the LTD, and LTD Pro?

The stock for the LTD is the Aldila Rogue. I'm checking on the Pro for you.

i'm assuming rogue black? or is it a made-for rogue? not that there's anything wrong with that :)

Looking forward to JBs thoughts after round two of testing. Interested to how this compares to the 816 DBD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a limited edition King Cobra snake themed headcover would be pretty badass. It could have shiny iridescent black/orange/green etc colors with the King Cobra logo in the center of the snakes eyes... JB can you pass along this request to the good folks at Cobra? Anyone else like this idea? I'm a sucker for cool headcovers....

Back to the stock shaft thing. The OEMs and the shaft OEMs both have the strong financial incentive to make shafts that work well for a majority of golfers out of the box. If the shafts are crappy, the performance will be crappy, and nobody is going to buy them (the club or the shaft). I get so jazzed everytime I see the reference to "garbage" stock shafts, almost invariably made by the high swing speed player who is 5% of the market.

got a few emails about preordering this one. had kind of let this one slip away but now I feel the need to demo it again.

Back