Keep your shots close to the cart path

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I know this is going to sound crazy. Nevertheless here it comes.

You arrive at the golf course for a round of golf and find out that the conditions are such that it's a cart path only day. Are you the sort of golfer in this situation that tries to keep your shots closer to the cart path or no?

I played a round on Tuesday and it was cart path only, so I tried to see if I could get my tee shots and approach shots placed closer to the cart path. My reasoning wasn't so much that I didn't want to do the extra walking, but simply because I didn't want to carry a couple of clubs across to the opposite side of the fairway before determining which club to use.

I'm sure some of you are probably thinking you have a hard enough time just hitting the fairway let alone try to keep it on the fairway yet close to the cart path. But when I tried it I was able to keep most of my shots placed really close to the cart path and it didn't seem to hurt my game either.

Had a cart path only twice last month and sprayed driver like I normally do. I'll happily walk across the fairway with 4 or 5 clubs and my rangefinder, don't mind brief walks.

I definitely try to keep my shots on the dise of the fairway closet to the cart path. It is hard to get a distance, carry the correct club, towel, etc when you are far away from the path.

haha we did this the other day as it was CPO on a course not really walkable.

Made for some entertaining conversation while we 'tried' to favour the path side.

I walk usually when it is cpo. I have played rounds where I would just aim at the path, was pretty fun.

To answer your question I'd say no, I wouldn't try and stay closer to the path.

I'd also ask a question in return. Why the heck do people choose to ride when it's CPO? It's like the perfect way to ruin a great day of golf.

That's a great question ArmyGolf (and if your name implies service to our great country, Thank You sir!). I book a lot of rounds with GolfNow, at least when I'm playing local public courses. When I do I pay for 18 w/cart. Typically it's right around the walking rate. I just personally feel cheated if I pay for a cart and don't use it. I also until this fall always had a toddler with me, 18 walking wasn't happening unless I was prepared to carry my bag and him from the furthest reaches of the course. No thanks. I tried it one time and he tuckered out on 13. Which was a solid mile and a half from the clubhouse, while also being in the lowest point altitude wise in about 4 counties. I burned some calories that day.

Last edited:
I'd also ask a question in return. Why the heck do people choose to ride when it's CPO? It's like the perfect way to ruin a great day of golf.

When you're golfing with an 80 year old like I was on Tuesday, a cart is a must have, especially for a full round of 18 holes

I definitely try to keep my shots on the dise of the fairway closet to the cart path. It is hard to get a distance, carry the correct club, towel, etc when you are far away from the path.

Exactly

No, I'll walk to my ball with more than one club and my GPS. It doesn't change my game.

I hopefully am using my push cart when it's cart path only. Or not playing.

Nope. I'll just try and play my game.

I'm putting my ball in the most advantageous position I can. If that's on the far side away from the cart path, so be it. I'll carry multiple clubs out to my ball.

Freddie might be able to play to keep the ball near the paths. I cannot.

I don't think twice about keeping my ball near the path on cart path only days. I play my normal shot(s).

Yes. Power Save mode. @jdax

Florida courses typically aren't built with the walker in mind, so that's not gonna happen. I'm more likely to just unhook the bag and walk it over to my ball, then walk it back. Seems a lot easier to do that than bring 4-5 clubs and hope I grabbed the club I needed to begin with.

Florida courses typically aren't built with the walker in mind, so that's not gonna happen. I'm more likely to just unhook the bag and walk it over to my ball, then walk it back. Seems a lot easier to do that than bring 4-5 clubs and hope I grabbed the club I needed to begin with.
The best ones are.

I rarely play when it's CPO. When I do the thought does occasionally enter my mind to keep it close to the path

There have been plenty of times that my drives have gone toward the path and I have jokingly played it off as intentional to my playing partners. Of course they've played with me before and know better. I'll play in a wide array of weather conditions. I don't love a wet course but I despise skipping a golf day so I won't let it stop me. As others have said, I'll just take several club options and check the GPS when I get to the ball.

Last edited:
To answer your question I'd say no, I wouldn't try and stay closer to the path.

At my course a cart is required for all golfers except members, who have the option to walk. Given the choice between no golf or CPO most people choose to go the CPO route.

Cart path only doesn't bother me. I see where the ball lands, compare it to the 150 marker and take 2 clubs max. Look at my GPS, choose one of the 2 clubs and hit the ball.
Taking 4-5 clubs to the ball is crazy unless you're walking 2 fairways over to your ball.

I'd like to think I'm good enough to do that but sadly that's just not the case. I'm lucky enough to find the fairway regardless. So why put that added pressure on yourself. Just chalk it up to being a good caddy to yourself.

On that note ... always bring 3 clubs with you. If it's a 150 yard shot & you normally hit a 7 iron, bring the 6 & the 8 as well so you're not going back to the cart. Bring a towel to rest the other clubs on so you don't get the grips wet. It's all about speeding up play as much as possible when it's CPO.

While Im lazy, Im not that lazy, I try to hit the ball straight and deal with it when it doesnt

I'm a walker.....but if I was good enough to keep it near the cart path then my handicap would be much lower than what it is.

Back