Ascending mass shafts...purpose?

Beeez

Reaction score
What's the main reason someone would buy a set of clubs with ascending mass shafts versus traditionally weighted shafts? It seems that most manufacturers have a shaft option like this now. Is there a performance difference or is it only feel? Any other insight into the ins and outs of ascending mass shafts are welcome. Thanks!

I've been using the AMT S300 in my V6 irons for the past few months and I'm torn on them.

The general idea is to help launch and speed in the long irons, and to offer a more penetrating flight in the short irons. I've seen enough that I would say that it works, but they aren't huge differences.
I find I love the feel of my mid-irons, find the short irons too heavy, and find the long irons a little light. I am getting more and more used to it, but it's taking longer than I thought.

How is this different than flighted shafts?

How is this different than flighted shafts?

Do not quote me on this, but aren't flighted shafts the same mass, but differing kick points to mange the launch/flight of the ball? The ascending mass may also have differing kick points, but IIRC the AMT goes up by 3g as you go shorter. So if the 3I is 100g, the 6I is 109g, the 9I is 118g and so on. A flighted set would start with the same mass (that will differ a bit as you cut to length I would imagine) with a lower kick point as the clubs get longer to help launch in the longer irons.

I am playing with my first AMT/AMC set now and don't have enough time to really judge it if makes a difference, but so far I am liking what I am seeing.

Our AMT shafts are designed to help increase ballspeed and spin in the long irons. The AMT shafts are all designed as the same flight, but the lighter weight causes increased head speed which results in more spin in the long irons. In our AMT sets the long irons will be slightly higher than the short irons.

True flighted shafts are designed where the long irons are high launch shafts, mid irons are mid launch and the short irons are low launch. In these sets the long irons will fly much higher than the short irons.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Back