The Future of Putter Creation?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the most interesting aspects of golf equipment is the custom part of it. Being able to change the look, sound and feel while maintaining the performance is every golfer’s dream. Could custom milling done at SeeMore Putters make that a reality?

While at SeeMore Putters HQ, THP TV got a chance to speak with owner Jim Grundberg about the future in this episode of THP Snap Shot.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/custom-milling-seemore-putters/

Interesting, so in the future they would like to offer customized milled faces. How would one even know what they would want or what would give them the feel they are looking for? I honestly would have no idea

• Admin
Interesting, so in the future they would like to offer customized milled faces. How would one even know what they would want or what would give them the feel they are looking for? I honestly would have no idea

There are putter companies that make customs now, but it takes long periods of time. In this instance, could the future hold a series of 6-7 different faces to try and you could pick any you want? Maybe...

There are putter companies that make customs now, but it takes long periods of time. In this instance, could the future hold a series of 6-7 different faces to try and you could pick any you want? Maybe...

Thats kind of what I was thinking but if they offered 6 or 7 to choose from is that really custom?

• Admin
Thats kind of what I was thinking but if they offered 6 or 7 to choose from is that really custom?

Sort of. That was just me speaking. Honestly a company could offer anything with in reason. Maybe have 6-7 in stores that people could test, or grew grass shops featuring a Mini Giant with 8 faces and you can order one of those or go off the reservation and have something totally different.

Pretty cool that they have milling in house. Custom usually equates to expensive which steers me away from even considering it in most cases.

I do like the potential option to take a shape that you love and have a certain face milling that may not be an option added to it.

Something like interchangeable faces or inserts? Customize it to your preference of hard or soft? Didn't a few companies try this a few years back?

Something like interchangeable faces or inserts? Customize it to your preference of hard or soft? Didn't a few companies try this a few years back?
Nah they're talking literal milling of the face. That said, different milling absolutely changes the sound and thus the feel of a putt off the face.

Um... where do we order that DF???

The biggest problem I see with this (aside from potential cost) is that I usually associate a particular face milling with a putter company.

I'd imagine SeeMore isn't going to be able to replicate the milling patterns of another company without a lawsuit.

I associate a bunch of different unique milling patterns with particular companies (Bettinardi, Evnroll, Toulon, etc). I know those aren't the only patterns out there, but I would think it would be hard to do a lot of this without having a lot of "inspiration".

Anything that adds to the experience of a proper putter fitting is a positive in my mind. I appreciate companies that understand and appreciate there is no such thing as a "one size fits all" mindset in golf equipment.

When you combine the value of the RST and then the fact that you may be able to customize your milled that adds a real personal connection to a putter. I love seeing this from SeeMore and it makes me pretty excited to see what comes in the future.

tour-concept-adjust.jpg

tour-concept-adjust.jpg

C_KThqjW0AA9kBE.jpg

Radius did a nice putter with interchangeable everything "except" the face insert. Pretty sure they could do it since it's a separate piece anyway.

When you combine the value of the RST and then the fact that you may be able to customize your milled that adds a real personal connection to a putter. I love seeing this from SeeMore and it makes me pretty excited to see what comes in the future.

It was a pretty neat behind the scenes education experience for me.

It was a pretty neat behind the scenes education experience for me.

Did they talk at all about how they plan on marketing this? I would think it would be a huge selling point for them and they would want to make it well known.

Did they talk at all about how they plan on marketing this? I would think it would be a huge selling point for them and they would want to make it well known.

This is not something we spoke about an imminent landing. Just speaking of what could happen and how neat it is for the future.

A nice option to have. Far to often you find the perfect putter but put it back because it doesn't feel/sound right. I would expect to see an array of standard milling patterns with a high level description of how they impact sound and allow you to pick the one you like best.

As was previously mentioned, true custom may be difficult do the potential lawsuits from copying a particular pattern or the programming necessary to get that particular pattern into the milling machine.

I think that this is a great idea. Hopefully they will be able to offer the custom face milling in the near future.

Mine is actually easy, horizontal milling FTW!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This sounds like a cool way to customize a putter & would be cool if a learning session was included to show how depth of grooves effect roll and sound/feel.

I have a putter fitting scheduled for 12/1 at their HQ, and was told that by that point it may be possible for custom sight line options. I had asked about the possibility of getting 2 lines on the top line instead of the standard 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool, and the future implications that customization "could" be limited only to your imagination is awesome. Well, imagination and wallet... but I would think this could make it more economical as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This option sounds fantastic! Horizontal groove milling SeeMores are my favorite. The feel is phenomenal.

Back