Iron shaft question

DB86

Reaction score
Handicap
Been a while, but I got bit by the bug and want some irons. I am really eyeing the Mizuno JPX EZ forged 16 model. I hit the regular JPX EZ on a monitor with the XP 95 R300 and it produced a very high ball flight. My question is this. Do you think the same trajectory will translate to the forged model with that shaft? Would going to the 105 help that any? I can’t afford a new set and about all you can find are sets with those shafts.

Been a while, but I got bit by the bug and want some irons. I am really eyeing the Mizuno JPX EZ forged 16 model. I hit the regular JPX EZ on a monitor with the XP 95 R300 and it produced a very high ball flight. My question is this. Do you think the same trajectory will translate to the forged model with that shaft? Would going to the 105 help that any? I can’t afford a new set and about all you can find are sets with those shafts.

The JPX EZ and Forged launch pretty high. XP 95/105 launch about the same. If you want to get launch down a bit and still stay light you'd need to go to something like the KBS Tour 105. This is based on my swing. Some people hit every shaft about the same height because they have a release that just hits high. Then again, with modern balls there is no reason to not hit the ball as high as possible without losing distance.

Here is a good chart for shafts http://www.titleist.com/shafts

Launch and Peak height are often used as one or the same. Launch is the initial flight directly following impact. Peak height is, well that one is obvious.
Launch is a relation to initial impact and spin (and others).

If we are speaking launch, what were you seeing as too high? Was it a spin item or an angle item?

Launch and Peak height are often used as one or the same. Launch is the initial flight directly following impact. Peak height is, well that one is obvious.
Launch is a relation to initial impact and spin (and others).

If we are speaking launch, what were you seeing as too high? Was it a spin item or an angle item?

Thanks for the response. It was actually a launch issue that was causing a peak issue. The spin numbers weren’t terrible, but we’re on the high side. I was getting about an 18 degree launch with a 7 iron.

I guess that I should add that my rocket blades with the fuel 85 shafts hit side by side produced “an ideal ball flight and spin” according to the pro. He recommended a few shafts but I’d have to buy a new set to get the different shafts. I wanted to reach out here for more opinions.

Thats not terrible. AOA would have a say in that number, assuming spin with that iron was somewhere in the 6000-7000 range?
Those irons do launch the ball rather high.

If you are set on a particular weight, graphite shafts can stay static in weight and alter easier than steel in many cases.

I had the same issue with ball flight playing S300 shafts. I was at a demo day in Florida and grabbed a set of KZG blades and was hitting it extremely well. To my surprise the shaft was an X100. So I did some research and found out that many players have switched to a stiff shaft in order to control flight and shape of shots. I didnt lose any distance and gained control of my game. Now when I play i have a reliable shot shape that I can reproduce and that is really the key to playing better golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help. Found a set at a local shop with KBS C-Taper shafts in stiff. The guy there says the stuff may work for me and they have a monitor so I am going to give them a try.

Back