index season almost over - how did you do?

Oddly- exactly same as last year. With many fewer rounds though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started the year a 7, played some bad golf early this year as usual after the winter layoff and went up as high as 8.3, now back down to 7 right where I started. It seems that is where I live until I either take some lessons or put in more practice time.

I'm not so hot. I'm down from where I ended last year, but I really wanted to be in the teens by this point. Unfortunately my schedule conspired against me this season, and I really haven't gotten out anywhere close to what I was able to do last year.

However, a lot of rounds where I couldn't record a score were played with my son, and I'm 100% OK with that.

This was my first year keeping a handicap and using The Grint. It was an interesting if not frustrating experience. I shot a few great rounds early on in the year which started me off at a 10.4 handicap. I’m sitting at 16.2 which is not terrible, but not where I expected to be after that start. Pretty sure 90% of it is mental and learning how to deal with nerves.

I sucked in the golf tournaments I entered. Don't care much for the handicap as it doesn't matter but is down 4 or 5. Next year hopefully I can turn the tournaments around.

I feel ya fellow R15 Smiter. I suck under any sort of pressure. I played in a PAT earlier this summer just to gain some tournament experience. Had the butterflies that are typical of such on the first tee. Relaxed and played well thereafter. Only after I realized I was really only competing with myself. I'll also point out that I had zero riding on it. Shins and griggles type experience. Otherwise I'd have probably stunk. I had so little riding on it by the second round I found myself not even really playing for score but trying to encourage the younger fellas that I was playing with that had a LOT riding on it.

Started the year 11.6 got up to 16.5 but recovered after some solid coaching to a current 13.2. Aiming to get to a 10 next season.

My second season playing and first time with a HC. I started in March with no HC but would have been around 31 or so. My first official was a 27 and finished our season at the end of Sep with a 21.6. I started out the year shooting 104-108 and now consistently in low 90's and have broke 90 twice this month so far. I am pretty happy about my progress.

As a guy who picked up the game of golf late in life (I didn’t start playing until I was 40) and whose first official handicap started in the mid 20’s: my lifetime golf goal has always been to become a single digit handicapper, even if only for a day!!

I started this year as an 11.7. It rose to a 12.2 as I experimented with the Jim Venetos swing. But after going back to my Brian Sparks roots - I’m down to a 9.2.

I’m VERY excited about my golf game!!

I started at a 7.4 but started taking lessons. I had grand dreams of getting down to 0, but I'm finishing up at a 3.3. I'm definitely happy with that, but I'm most happy with the progress I've made with my swing. Putting in some practice over the winter should lead to some big returns and maybe even a + handicap sometime next season.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Before this season I was lucky to play more than one round per year and never carried a cap.

Everything changed when I caught the bug this year. Cap started at 19.3 (dipped the next month to 20.9). Reached an all-time low of 12.9 but am currently trending at 14.4

I started the season at 4.8, peaked to a 5.5 in May but steadily dropped to my current 2.7 which is the lowest I've ever been. I certainly don't play to that number very often so it's a little out of my comfort zone, but that's going to have to push me to practice more and get to the point where I can play to my index often....especially in a tournament or under some sort of pressure (not always my strength).

Start- 22.4
Current- 13.2

Lessons, lessons, more lessons and finally playing golf consistently throughout the week brought my cap down to where it's at currently. Not happy here, but happy with the progress I've made thus far.

Last edited:
Start 12.6, ending 14.5.....hasn't been a very consistent year

Going to do things a lot different for next year.....

went from a ~18 and got all the way down to 11.9 before I hurt my back. Now back up to ~12.5

START: 8.0
HIGH: 8.3
LOW: 5.0
CURRENT: 5.5

Good year...all of my short game work is paying dividends...I have really started to enjoy grinding!

Started the season at 4.6
Moved up to 5.6 while working on some swing changes
Ending going down to 5.2

Started somewhere around 17.9 or 18, currently at 15.4. Lucky enough to trend down all season long. My season doesn't really end, however, so I'm hoping to keep it going down through the winter.

Started around 11, and went up as high as (almost) 13 as I'm working on a swing overhaul. Have come back down sub-11, and will likely stay there until next spring. Lots of work to do over the winter.

Start at 7.7 (last round in 2016 was in July due to injury), got down to 5.9, probably going to end where I am now at 6.5.

Very pleased with the work I've put in over the last few years.

First index of the year was 5.0, and is currently 3.2, It has been as low as 1.8. However, in Texas there is no "season". Scores get posted year 'round which tends to increase my handicap as I play in some cold and windy weather over the Winter and early Spring.

This was my first year keeping track and I made some small gains throughout, but the time factor just hurts in regards to real improvement. Small gains throughout out the year. The tee box is my biggest weakness by far.

Started with a 19.2
High of 19.9
Current low of 16.1

My goal next year is to be in the 10-15 bracket by the time November rolls around.

Started the season at 11.1 and currently am at a 4.8. Worked hard to get it down, helped to be out of work for 3 months in the summer but don't tell my wife about that part.....

Started the season at 11.1 and currently am at a 4.8. Worked hard to get it down, helped to be out of work for 3 months in the summer but don't tell my wife about that part.....

Your wife didn’t ask why you left the house every day in golf clothes?

Terrible. It was the first season since I got back into golf @5 years ago that my index went up. It went from a mid 10 to almost a 15.

Back