Best gift for new parents...

shanewu

@shaneb0t
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Tapping into the collective wisdom of my THP fam...

What is the best gift you've ever received as a new parent or given to new parents?

My twin bro's wife is having a baby at the end of this year, and it's their first. I'm trying to think of something a bit more special than just something off their gift registry.

Thanks!

Diapers, wipes, and gift cards to restaurants. Or, any sort of gift where mom and dad can get away for a few hours with peace and quiet or a chance to catch a nap

Babysit so they can get some much needed sleep!! They will love it!!

Can’t say enough about the babysit aspect, especially in the early going! Either you or get the new baby grandparents to do it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really appreciate the responses and ideas, guys!

Diapers and wipes, or even just gift cards that can be used for diapers and wipes were the best of all the gifts we received.

The ultimate gift would a coupon that be cashed at a later date for a night out for mom and dad while you babysit. I'd give just about anything to have a quiet night out at a nice restaurant with my wife these days...our boy is just over 5 months old.

My brother in law got us a year supply size 3 diapers and a case of wipes, that was pretty cool. Never would have thought we’d go through a couple thousand diapers in a year.

Diapers are always good. Get some bigger sizes. Everyone will get them size 1 or 2 which is fine but I remember getting to size 4 and not having any in the stash. Wish someone would have gotten a few of the bigger sizes.

Bring them a dinner or 2 the first couple weeks. A nice home cooked meal when you’re on 3 hours of sleep is awesome.

I would say baby monitor would be a good gift.

So I have a little one, not sure if your sister in law is going to breast feed or not, but the baby brezza was a life changer. This is kiddo number 4 for me and man not having to heat up formula and that whole rigamorale, cannot state it enough on how well it works. Think of a Kurig for baby formula bottle making.

https://www.target.com/p/baby-brezz...VRECGCh2euAnREAQYASABEgKHe_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I agree with a night out for the parents (probably closer to the 4-5 month time frame). Diapers can be hit or miss if you don't know what brand they prefer, so gift cards are always a safe bet.

We're kinda lucky on that aspect. Little girl just looks around at everything and we can eat in peace if we want to. That being said, way too chickenshit to do it often, because you just never know when that luck is gonna run out.

Low end: Electric nail filers for infants (https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/buzz-b-electric-nail-trimmer/3304943). I never thought we'd use it as much as we did, and it was so much easier than trying to use a regular nailcutter on our infant.

Mid level: Bag from diaperdude.com. This is for the dad, but the mom is going to get a diaper bag from someone anyways. These bags look like regular backpacks or messenger bags but have special compartments inside for diapers, wipes, etc. I had the messenger bag and looked nothing like the diaper bag that my wife would carry around, plus I wanted nothing to do with her diaper bag.

High level: Good bottle of wine for the parents that they can enjoy on the kid's first birthday. My wife and I have a tradition that we open up a really good bottle on our son's birthday after he's gone to bed.

A gift card to your / their favorite restaurant. If you are feeling especially generous watch the kid too so they can have a night out together.

Couples massage

Give them a gift card to some place nice to eat or movie tickets. Then set up some babysitting so the parents can have a date night and feel normal even if only for a few hours.

Pre-made food.

When our first was born some friends of ours got together and sent a personal chef to the house who prepared almost a week's worth of delicious food for us. What a lifesaver that was, because that first week we were a hot mess trying to figure things out.

Diapers, wipes, and gift cards to restaurants. Or, any sort of gift where mom and dad can get away for a few hours with peace and quiet or a chance to catch a nap

Babysit so they can get some much needed sleep!! They will love it!!

:clapp: Best answers right here

Diapers are always great! Babysitting is fantastic! If they don't have a diaper genie or whatever they call them now, get one of those, great for the disposal of the dirty diapers. Dirty diapers in trash cans are the worst! If you want to spend a little more, any kind of swing that plays sleepy baby music is worth its weight in gold. One of those bought us sooo much sleep when the boy was little.

The swaddleme things were a lifesaver for me. I could never get the blanket burrito to stay in place.

+1 on the motorized swing if that's in your budget.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks again for all the great answers, fellas!

Back