Switching 3i, 4i to hybrids

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
This weekend I started to think of making a change to hybrids. I've never carried a hybrid but it seems everyone I play with from average players to great players no longer carry a 3i and 4i but instead carry an equivalent hybrid.

I never really gave it much thought until I started using my 5i consistently as my 200 to 205 yard club so I rarely use my 3i and 4i. Back in the day when I was shorter I hit both well as I used them on long par 3s rather regularly. Now they stay in my bag. But when I do need them like yesterday when I had 220 yards to a par 5 in 2 shots I tend to mis hit them die to infrequent use.

So that gets me back to hybrids. Unfortunately being LH and needing an X-stiff shaft with my swag speed I cannot exactly drop into a local shop and demo one. But there are some great deals on XR and XR pro hybrids right now.

Two questions:
1. Should I switch my 3i and 4i out to hybrids?
2. XR or XR pro equivalents?

I currently game Apex Pro irons.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't had a 3 or 4 iron in years. Hybrids FTW! X2hot in my bag and I love it.

I honestly couldn't imagine going back to long irons lol im just soooooo much more confident with hybrids. Ive actually been questioning why i still even carry 5i.

Some people struggle with the hybrids from a visual perspective or the height on the ball flight.

I still hit 4i in certain models and enjoy it, but don't carry 3i. I like a utility iron over the hybrid off the tee and once I can figure out ball position and can get past some sort of mental issue will use it off the deck

if playing a hybrid fits a gap and makes golf fun and easier I say play the hybrids.

xr, XR pro, big bertha, Bridgestone and adams have some great hybrids,

Sure many of us buy a full iron set but sooner or later we come to our senses and replace at least one long iron with a hybrid.

I wouldn't trade my 3h or 4h for nothing. Love them both

My 4h is the most consistent club in my bag. Even if I'm having a bad day swinging everything else, I know I can put a nice clean easy swing on my hybrid and it'll still carry a good distance. Excellent club to take an easy swing and get my swing back for the day.

Sure many of us buy a full iron set but sooner or later we come to our senses and replace at least one long iron with a hybrid.
Currently my first iron is my 7i. Probably going to put the 6i back in soon as my swing improves, but the 7i is the longest iron I trust right now.

I played a 4 hybrid forever, but found the XR Pro 4 iron to be much easier to control and had comparable distance. I still game a 3h though.

IMO, most amateurs have little business carrying long irons. My highest is a 5 iron and I'll never game a three or four iron again. Hybrids are just so much easier in comparison

I've played as many as four hybrids at a time, but when I bought my XR clubs this spring, I went back to all irons, but now I'm back to 2 hybrids. I like the added distance and the high soft landing the hybrid offers, and I love them from the rough and for short bump and runs around the greens.

By adding the two hybrids, I was able to drop 3 irons, and keep my distance gaps good so I have an open spot in the bag for maybe a 5th wedge.

This weekend I started to think of making a change to hybrids. I've never carried a hybrid but it seems everyone I play with from average players to great players no longer carry a 3i and 4i but instead carry an equivalent hybrid.

I never really gave it much thought until I started using my 5i consistently as my 200 to 205 yard club so I rarely use my 3i and 4i. Back in the day when I was shorter I hit both well as I used them on long par 3s rather regularly. Now they stay in my bag. But when I do need them like yesterday when I had 220 yards to a par 5 in 2 shots I tend to mis hit them die to infrequent use.

So that gets me back to hybrids. Unfortunately being LH and needing an X-stiff shaft with my swag speed I cannot exactly drop into a local shop and demo one. But there are some great deals on XR and XR pro hybrids right now.

Two questions:

Thanks.

XR Pro hybrids are going to be a smaller profile (more iron-like than wood-like) than the standard XR, and less likely to turn over on you. I fight a hook at times, and play the X2Hot Pro hybrids now without big issues.

You could also get the hybrids, but then throw your iron shafts in those clubs to make the transition a little easier if you really like your iron shafts.

I like my long irons. I hit them pretty well. Icey can attest.

I say to the OP, go get some hybrids. Go XR Pro

Two questions:

Thanks.

Definitely. No brainer. I use my 4 and 5 hybrids for the iron-equivalent shots, although the hybrids are more consistent than the irons, and then some: knockdowns, punches, flyers, escapes from the rough and fairway bunkers, and bump-and-runs. As to which brand or model, I suggest you hit the range and try them. Hybrids, unlike irons, are a little more susceptible to design variations - you might not like the look of some, and some will definitely perform better than others. Some also have too much offset, or are intentionally open or closed at address, so some design variations may put you off, best to try them out.

Considering how anal we are with shaft flexes on our drivers, it doesn't cost much to also scrutinize your preferred shaft flex for hybrids, if there's a possibility that you can swap the stock shafts for your preferred shafts.

Thanks to everyone. I'm going to order nothing because my wife just saw this as I was typing. I'm a dumb a$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swapped out my four iron two months ago for a hybrid and it's my favorite club now.

I hated hybrids for a long time and carried a 3i, then brought an amp cell hybrid, hit it on the monitor ok but couldnt on the course so that put me off again. I tried a mates X2Hot hybrid and hit it great i brought it off him.
I still have a 4i though because i hit it ok and i us it for under tree's and to get me out of trouble.

Thanks to everyone. I'm going to order nothing because my wife just saw this as I was typing. I'm a dumb a$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha ha. Then they will turn out to be "stealth" hybrids. Even more special.

3/4hybs came as part of my new set 3 seasons back. I spent 3/4 my season trying to hit them and even took lesson specifically on just them but after killing myself I said "what the heck am I doing?" as I was hitting my 4iron well. So I took them out of my bag and purchased a matching 4iron for my set. BTW my set is Cobra AMP irons. Anyway FF to today a couple seasons later and struggling with the 5wood off the deck I decided to give the 3hyb another try. I have also had swing changes since then via lessons and for whatever the reason I am now loving these hybrids. So I have now put those 3/4 hybs (which are basically brand new) back in my bag in place of my 4iron and 5wood. I am not great with them but am now having more success with them vs my 5wood and 4iron plus I found I can use them from the rough (within reason) more than I could use my 4iron and 5wood. So not only having more success but also able to use them a bit more often. Basically a bit more versatile. Glad I kept them because I considered selling them at the time.

I am swinging them just like any iron and they are working very well (relatively speaking). I'm not quite hitting the 3hyb as far as my 5w but its close enough and that was only the rare time I actually may have hit my 5w perfectly from off the deck anyway which wasn't often. So the 3hyb is more advantageous for me and as far as the 4hyb vs my 4iron I am hitting them about the same. So in the end I've had a complete turn around with my hybs. I went from taking them out of my bag when they were new 3 seasons ago to now playing them again and really liking them.

sunmountain.jpg
Bag Contents:
callaway.jpg
815 Alpha Driver 9 Deg with
fujikra.png
757 Speeder Evolution Tour Spec X Shaft
callaway.jpg
815 Alpha 14 Deg Fairway Wood (Playing -1,N) and 16 Deg Fairway Wood (Playing +2,N)
callaway.jpg
Apex Pro 3-PW Irons with
KBS.jpg
C-Taper X-Stiff Shafts
titelist.jpg
Vokey SM5 52 Deg with KBS C-Taper X-Stiff Shaft
titelist.jpg
Vokey SM5 58 Deg with KBS Hi-Rev X-Stiff Shaft
odyssey.jpg
Works Tank V-Line Putter
bushnell.jpg
Pro X7 Jolt Range Finder

I was curious from looking at your clubs in you sig. If that is up to date, are you missing a Gapwedge? I assume your 52 is just about a SW loft and so it leaves me to ask if you have quite the gap between that and your PW? I carry a LW at 60* similar to your 58*. But it came at the expense of removing my 3iron. But that's because of my extra GW which sits between my PW and my SW. You seem to have drive, 3w, 4w and then go 3i and upwards but no GW. Do you have a big gap between your PW and your 52. If so, would (like me) a GW better serve you to fill that gap vs the amount of times you might be using your 3iron? Just curious of your setup is all.

The hybrid to match your set would be along the lines of a 22/20 or even a 21/19 degree setup. It all depends on your gap and how far you hit your hybrids vs your longest iron. I personally game a 23/21/16 setup but now I have a 24 degree Apex hybrid iron that gaps between my hybrids, I will be dropping the 23 for a 54 degree wedge.

I pretty much game the same setup but I already have the hybrids in the bag. I played the X-HOT Pro 2 20* and 23*, which I liked but the XR hybrids are amazing for my game. I got a crazy deal on a preowned barely used XR Pro 23*. The XR Pro hybrids feel great and are super long. I liked my 23* so much I added the 20* last week. I totally recommend hitting the XR pro hopefully, it fills the 3i and 4i gaps in your bag

I was curious from looking at your clubs in you sig. If that is up to date, are you missing a Gapwedge? I assume your 52 is just about a SW loft and so it leaves me to ask if you have quite the gap between that and your PW? I carry a LW at 60* similar to your 58*. But it came at the expense of removing my 3iron. But that's because of my extra GW which sits between my PW and my SW. You seem to have drive, 3w, 4w and then go 3i and upwards but no GW. Do you have a big gap between your PW and your 52. If so, would (like me) a GW better serve you to fill that gap vs the amount of times you might be using your 3iron? Just curious of your setup is all.

52° is a typical gap wedge. Am I missing something else?

If I couldn't play my hybrids I'd try choking down on a 5w, otherwise I'd accept a big gap in my bag. That's how useless 3i and 4i are to me.

Back