Most Embarrassing Single Moment On The Course

Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
I have two. Several years back I was playing a course and hole 1 was a massive dogleg par 4. Very few people try to go for this green in one, not so much due to its length but because you have to sky the ball to cut the corner due to large trees. I have a VERY high ball flight. The smart play would be to hit 5i straight and have a short to mid iron approach. I almost went this route due to pace concerns but I'd played here many times before and had been on this green a few times. I was playing as a single and got paired with a 3some that all knew each other. They thought I was nuts to go for it and I felt that they were very skeptical that I could even get close. No guts no glory, right?

So after holding things up for a solid 10 minutes, maybe a little more I drove back to the tee box to play once the green cleared. I barely make any contact, it gets off the tee box and buries in thick rough. I have to chunk it out first and I'm then hitting the 5i that I probably should have in the first place. Of course while we waited we had already discussed handicaps and I'd stuck my thumbs in my suspenders and proudly proclaimed that I was a 3.2 or whatever I was back then. I only managed minor vindication a hole or two later when I let one fly that suggested that the first shot was possible for me to hit, up to that point I felt horrible and super embarrassed.

The next time, pretty similar situation. I was playing in a company outing and my boss was in my group. First time we ever played together (and hopefully last!). I'm nervous because of this fact and he's heard that I'm a super golfer or something similar. Played the first 6 holes and I'm barely holding my game together. Nothing feels right or comfortable but I'm scoring ok, maybe plus 1 at that point. We get to the tee at hole 7, and I take a mighty swipe at it. Compete and utter whiff. How do you miss the ball completely with a 430cc driver? Not a chunk, a shank, hosel rocket, etc... a complete whiff. The ball was still smiling at me from the tee! The club passing it wind didn't even knock it down. The only good thing that happened was this caused me to go from nervous to ticked and I played well the rest of the round. But a whiff? Come on. My kids don't even whiff very often. Yikes!

2014 Morgan Cup. First match on Saturday AM is 18 hole Shamble against Howzat and Puttin4Bird. Had a partner who was a little too celebratory on a mediocre shot on a hole where we were already solidly ahead.

Second most embarrassing moments. Second day of 2014 Morgan Cup. I would elaborate by mward has heard enough about it.

You have two single moments that were the most embarrassing? Which one was more embarrassing than the other? ?

Playing a small course in western pa with 2 other guys. They said it was a massive blind dogleg right par 4. I teed up a perfect slice right believing I was right where I should be. Unfamiliar w the course I had my own cart and hit my fill up shot towards the green I saw but the flag looked different. I hit a perfect 9 iron on the green and was 4 inches from the cup. I celebrated like an idiot. My friends immediately drove over to see me babbling like an idiot. My friend looked at me and said, You realize that's the wrong green right. Ended up with a thriple boogey.

You have two single moments that were the most embarrassing? Which one was more embarrassing than the other? ?

Sorry, I just like to type...lol

Probably the second one for long lasting shame. My boss is not a good golfer yet he didn't whiff. He doesn't let me forget that (even though I beat him by at least 20 strokes).

2014 Morgan Cup. First match on Saturday AM is 18 hole Shamble against Howzat and Puttin4Bird. Had a partner who was a little too celebratory on a mediocre shot on a hole where we were already solidly ahead.

Second most embarrassing moments. Second day of 2014 Morgan Cup. I would elaborate by mward has heard enough about it.

Ouch! I guess that's why that "I'm with stupid>>>" short was invented. Lol

Playing a small course in western pa with 2 other guys. They said it was a massive blind dogleg right par 4. I teed up a perfect slice right believing I was right where I should be. Unfamiliar w the course I had my own cart and hit my fill up shot towards the green I saw but the flag looked different. I hit a perfect 9 iron on the green and was 4 inches from the cup. I celebrated like an idiot. My friends immediately drove over to see me babbling like an idiot. My friend looked at me and said, You realize that's the wrong green right. Ended up with a thriple boogey.

I'd say new courses are the worst thing ever without a caddie, but they're not. Playing a course for the first time in 15 years takes the cake. I played a brilliant round like that a couple years ago. I'd played this course a ton 15-20 years ago too, but the front a bunch more than the back. I thought I remembered where everything was but nope! I think they must have moved the greens.... Cost me probably 6 strokes, which stunk since I was otherwise on fire.

I was playing a Vancouver Golf Tour tournament at Hazelmere. My practice round the day before went really well, my putter was hot, and my warm up was damn near flawless so I went to the first tee thinking today was going to be my day!

They have a starters tent, microphone for player announcements, and there were 4 or 5 groups milling around the first tee waiting their turn and watching their buddies tee off. I pulled 4 wood for the first hole in an effort to put one in the fairway and get off to a nerve-calming start. Well I don't know wtf happened but I barely even made contact with the ball on the low heel. The ball screamed low and left and hit a wooden sign 4 ft. off the ground 25 yards ahead and careened straight back at me. I had to jump out of the way to avoid getting hit and then the ball came to rest underneath the starters table. I had to get help taking relief from the starters table (there was stuff everywhere) and ended up having to hit my second shot from a patch of grass behind the tee box with about 20 people looking on trying to figure out what the hell I was doing.
Yeah, that was freaking embarrassing.

Played at an exclusive private club in my neigborhood as a guest of my neighbor. Never played a course as pristine as this course. The greenside rough were so tightly manicured so were the fairways. Also there were a few greens on multi levels....I mean a good 2-3 foot drops.

I hit my approach to the green, ball landed on the green and started rolling backwards. Okay.....my ball was now just in front of the green. I thought I will chip back to the green which was on another level. So I took my wedge.....swung the club.....picked up a little divot....ball was on the green.

Then I saw the look on my playing partners' faces......bewildered look. I just took off a chunk of the green !!!

Pure embarrassment...... I was able to repair the green pretty good though.

Played at an exclusive private club in my neigborhood as a guest of my neighbor. Never played a course as pristine as this course. The greenside rough were so tightly manicured so were the fairways. Also there were a few greens on multi levels....I mean a good 2-3 foot drops.

I hit my approach to the green, ball landed on the green and started rolling backwards. Okay.....my ball was now just in front of the green. I thought I will chip back to the green which was on another level. So I took my wedge.....swung the club.....picked up a little divot....ball was on the green.

Then I saw the look on my playing partners' faces......bewildered look. I just took off a chunk of the green !!!

Pure embarrassment...... I was able to repair the green pretty good though.

Ouch! I have a masters degree on hitting wildly inappropriate shots. My PhD however is in making bad decisions. So I feel ya!

I also remember a player hitting a pitch from on the green at The Masters (maybe Phil?). I'm pretty sure that if that's ok, you'll be fine here. The rules support this. Theres a few great courses that have a Bunker in the middle of the green. If I'm playing those courses for score, they are sadly mistaken if they think I'll happily putt to 25 feet away if that bunker is in the way. This is a dumb design feature if you ask me. I won't divot their green with malice but if there's stupidity in the design, yup!

While playing with some friends, I hit a 170 tee shot that landed on the green and rolled to within 3-4 inches of going into the hole. Easy tap in right? Yes it was but it was the completely wrong green. The funny thing is everyone saw me line up and didn't say anything about it being the wrong green/direction. From my view point it made sense. I still hear about it to this day. Beautiful shot though!

Several years ago me and some friends (1 of which I still play Golf with) we go down to a Track on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (Hog Neck Golf Club) in Easton Md. The friend in which I still play with used to be a hot head and wore his emotions on his sleeves, (he has since taken a 180 degree turn and really changed his golf life and regular life around and is a completely different guy) He would curse after every bad shot and throw his clubs and the such. Well, on 1 hole he hits his Drive off the fairway and very close to OB in a neighboring houses backyard. Well at the time we didn’t know that the owner of the house was in his storage shed which was roughly 10yds at best from where this friend was playing his ball, well you guessed it he hits a horrible shot and then proceeds to let loose everything under he Sun but Holy and throws his club etc...at that time the owner comes out from his shed and yells and hollers at him telling him hey watch your mouth and that we don’t need to hear that (which was and is 100% correct) well of course my friend goes on that it wasn’t him and that the guy just needs to go back into his shed etc... of course nobody on here knows me personally but to be frank I’m a old soul, I don’t like confrontation (even more so on a golf course) and I’m not a guy who curses a lot and such... well that entire exchange (even though it wasn’t myself involved) really bothered me and actually caused me to play horrible the rest of the round (thankfully it was on the back 9 so we were close to finishing anyhow.

Doesn’t seem to embarrassing I know but you would have had to have been there to understand the level of embarrassment for all involved. Again thankfully this friend in which I’m speaking of has changed his life and he is very enjoyable to play Golf with unlike he was in the past.

While playing with some friends, I hit a 170 tee shot that landed on the green and rolled to within 3-4 inches of going into the hole. Easy tap in right? Yes it was but it was the completely wrong green. The funny thing is everyone saw me line up and didn't say anything about it being the wrong green/direction. From my view point it made sense. I still hear about it to this day. Beautiful shot though!

....hahaha....them GPS showed the wrong yardage.....

Good one !!

I've got 3.

The first was at a Unofficial THP gathering where I totally missed the ball on the first tee in front of everyone.

The second was at a local course I went to to play a quick 9 all alone. The course was totally dead, no one around. I went to the wrong hole. This whole has the blue and white tees on the right side, and the reds are way up front, out of sight on the left. This a a short par 3. I tee off and land just short of the green, and walk to my ball. As I walk to the mound approaching the green, I spot a ball. I look left, I look right, there's no one anywhere. I grab it for my collection. I keep walking. I see another ball. Again, I look left and right....nothing. I pocket it. I step up to my ball, oblivious. Chip to within 3 feet. I don't even remover the flag, putt it in and start walking away. As I walk away, I glance back and see 3 very old ladies on the red tees with their hands on their hips and they look pissed. I was mortified. I tossed their balls back onto the the mound and skidaddled outta there fast, lol.

While testing out the Bushnell watch (THANKS THP!) I hit my drive and pressed the button to track my drive distance. Wen I got to my ball, I forgot to deactivate the tracker. So when I glanced at the watch for my second shot, it says 225.....Unfortunately the ACTUAL distance to the flag was about 140. It was kid of in a blind spot and up on a hill and I just didn't even really give it a second thought. I hit my hybrid and absolutely smoke right by the green, over the cart path and through a small wooded area onto another tee box where there was a 4some waiting to greet me. One of the guys started chuckling as I walked through and said "You sure got all of that one...." so embarrassing.

County Am years ago. First day, first tee. 50+ people standing around. My ball hit one of the tee markers and ended going over our heads backwards landing up against a fence behind us. I was laying 7 on this Par 4 just getting the ball back on the tee box.

First hole of a two day event, and all you can do is play for pride.

County Am years ago. First day, first tee. 50+ people standing around. My ball hit one of the tee markers and ended going over our heads backwards landing up against a fence behind us. I was laying 7 on this Par 4 just getting the ball back on the tee box.

First hole of a two day event, and all you can do is play for pride.
Dang. You should have re-teed!

Hindsight and all.

Several years ago me and some friends (1 of which I still play Golf with) we go down to a Track on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (Hog Neck Golf Club) in Easton Md. The friend in which I still play with used to be a hot head and wore his emotions on his sleeves, (he has since taken a 180 degree turn and really changed his golf life and regular life around and is a completely different guy) He would curse after every bad shot and throw his clubs and the such. Well, on 1 hole he hits his Drive off the fairway and very close to OB in a neighboring houses backyard. Well at the time we didn’t know that the owner of the house was in his storage shed which was roughly 10yds at best from where this friend was playing his ball, well you guessed it he hits a horrible shot and then proceeds to let loose everything under he Sun but Holy and throws his club etc...at that time the owner comes out from his shed and yells and hollers at him telling him hey watch your mouth and that we don’t need to hear that (which was and is 100% correct) well of course my friend goes on that it wasn’t him and that the guy just needs to go back into his shed etc... of course nobody on here knows me personally but to be frank I’m a old soul, I don’t like confrontation (even more so on a golf course) and I’m not a guy who curses a lot and such... well that entire exchange (even though it wasn’t myself involved) really bothered me and actually caused me to play horrible the rest of the round (thankfully it was on the back 9 so we were close to finishing anyhow.

Doesn’t seem to embarrassing I know but you would have had to have been there to understand the level of embarrassment for all involved. Again thankfully this friend in which I’m speaking of has changed his life and he is very enjoyable to play Golf with unlike he was in the past.

Yup! I recently wrote a story about a "buddy" that got so drunk he passed out on the course. I could have cared less except he was my guest for that round. That was our one and only course adventure together. I might play with him again in 5 years, but it won't be before then. If he still acts like an asshat it'll be another 5 years after that before I invite him again. I call this my 5 year rule. He'll have a chance every 5 years to not be a jerk. Once he proves that he'll be welcome. Until he does, he'll be my guest once every 5 years.

Short par 4 that usually plays in the 280ish range.
I'm a little oblivious sometimes and didn't realize they had moved the tee boxes up making it around 260ish.
The hole requires a pretty perfect drive as it's well protected by bunkers.
I probably should have waited but I never get near this green (@280ish) so don't I hit one of my best drives ever, dead straight, runs right up the narrow false front, right between the guy's legs that was in the middle of putting and hits his putter. I wanted to crawl under a rock and half expected them to hit or throw my ball in the water hazzard. I went up and apologized profusely and luckily for me the guy was super cool and just said "great drive". I missed the eagle putt too.

Ouch! I have a masters degree on hitting wildly inappropriate shots. My PhD however is in making bad decisions. So I feel ya!

I also remember a player hitting a pitch from on the green at The Masters (maybe Phil?). I'm pretty sure that if that's ok, you'll be fine here. The rules support this. Theres a few great courses that have a Bunker in the middle of the green. If I'm playing those courses for score, they are sadly mistaken if they think I'll happily putt to 25 feet away if that bunker is in the way. This is a dumb design feature if you ask me. I won't divot their green with malice but if there's stupidity in the design, yup!

I’ve done this in college tournaments and various other ones. But weekend golf, I wouldn’t do this. One good way to get the pros and the greens crew pissed at you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hear ya! How could a greens crew get pissed at you for playing the smart play though? They'd have to realize that putting a bunker in the middle of the green is stupid. I certainly wouldn't wedge it in a casual round but if in any sort of tournament, all bets would be off. Besides, if you ever want to impart some spin on a ball, clip it from a green. Kidding, kidding! But just imagine the spin you could put on the ball here....

I hear ya! How could a greens crew get pissed at you for playing the smart play though? They'd have to realize that putting a bunker in the middle of the green is stupid. I certainly wouldn't wedge it in a casual round but if in any sort of tournament, all bets would be off. Besides, if you ever want to impart some spin on a ball, clip it from a green. Kidding, kidding! But just imagine the spin you could put on the ball here....

I’ve never come across a situation with a bunker in the green. Seen it though. I’m going over that thing every time. Clip it, nice low spinner. That would be a dream. I have however had 10 yards of fringe to go thru to get my line right. Chipped then

Here’s mine. In college we had a huge tournament in Long Island. 15 teams in total. I was playing towards the end so there was roughly a gallery of 60+ people behind the 18th green. I stuck one from 190 to about 10 feet right of the jar. This was all well and good. Until I had a 10 foot putt, on the side Hill. Greens were really quick that day. Missed my first putt low side. Next putt raked by high side. Vicious lip out high side which carried the ball 20 feet or so down the slope. Left the next putt straight uphill about 5 feet short. Then drilled the 6th, that’s right 6th putt into the back of the jar. A solid 9 to finish up with a gallery of 60+. Tucked my tail between my legs and put the sunglasses on and didn’t say a word the rest of the day while at the course

No doubt on this one for me that happened a few years ago...1997 to be exact. I remember the year due to just being divorced.
I was playing with my brother and we just happened to get paired with a couple of lovely ladies.
They were both single and a bit flirtatious which suited me just fine.
I was playing very well that day and seemed to be impressing them with my game and especially my drives.
We got to the long par 5 on the back 9 and I decided this was the hole that I was going to really impress them with a drive.
So, I tee up the ball, rare back a little longer than normal and let loose with a mighty swing.
The swing was not the only thing that was let loose and was mighty. The sound that emanated from my backside was probably heard back at the clubhouse.
When I turn around in pure shame to apologize, my brother is almost falling on the ground from his gut busting laughter and the ladies were giggling like 15 yr old school girls.
I doubt I have been more embarrassed in my whole life.

It was sophomore year of high school and I was playing in the number one position against the top two teams. I was +1 through 6 holes and finished the remaining 3 in +5. Yada yada yada, events transpired that resulted in me getting a two-stroke unsportsmanlike conduct penalty from my own coach.

No doubt on this one for me that happened a few years ago...1997 to be exact. I remember the year due to just being divorced.
I was playing with my brother and we just happened to get paired with a couple of lovely ladies.
They were both single and a bit flirtatious which suited me just fine.
I was playing very well that day and seemed to be impressing them with my game and especially my drives.
We got to the long par 5 on the back 9 and I decided this was the hole that I was going to really impress them with a drive.
So, I tee up the ball, rare back a little longer than normal and let loose with a mighty swing.
The swing was not the only thing that was let loose and was mighty. The sound that emanated from my backside was probably heard back at the clubhouse.
When I turn around in pure shame to apologize, my brother is almost falling on the ground from his gut busting laughter and the ladies were giggling like 15 yr old school girls.
I doubt I have been more embarrassed in my whole life.

Stinks that happened man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back