Driver recommendation. Drive is 150-200 yards want more distance

Hardluck51

Reaction score
Handicap
Seeking new driver. Currently using Cobra 440, tried callaway m2 not a fan, tried ping g30 felt like I shattered glass but ball had little take off. I love the new Ping G400 but looking for more affordable performance? Any suggestions? I ordered my cobra off callaway preowned.

Cobra

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I’d recommend seeing a fitter, even if it’s at you’re nearest big box Golf store. Or at least find somewhere you can get on a launch monitor and test out/compare shafts and heads.

Just curious though, Do you have any idea what your club head speed is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try the Cobra F7. It is in my bag and it is staying in there!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Affordable:
Cobra Bio Cell
Cobra Fly Z
Callaway Big Bertha 2014
Callaway X Hot

Those are low priced and easy to hit.
Find a store, pro shop, or driving range that will let you try them out.
You're probably a regular flex, so that will be easy to find.
You need to find what YOU hit best.

We can recommend what you can try, but we can't recommend what you buy.
Good luck and enjoy the process.

Try several, or as many as you can, on a launch monitor with a Professional Fitter. Look at the numbers, how it feels in your hands, how it looks to your eye, and make an educated decision. Have fun hitting all the drivers you can.

How much are you looking to spend.

If you want to stay around $100 I would suggest a Wilson Staff D200. The lighter weight should help you generate a bit more swing speed.

150 to 200 is a big range, and, would be your mishit range to well struck range. As for an affordable driver with good pop, the Cobra F6 or F7 should work. The F6 is obviously less expensive, and, if there is a Dicks Sporting Goods near you, you may find one for a very good price.

Srixon 545.

Here you go!...Very affordable, and while these are pretty much 'sold out', there is one remaining ebay Seller still offering these drivers brand new, for $109. (You have to exactly where to look or you'll never find the Seller).

This Driver is as good as it gets with a properly fitted shaft!

Headcover Small.jpg

------------------------------------------------------
Finally, a truly Forgiving SLDR Driver from TM!
------------------------------------------------------

This Driver Has it All: Long, Accurate, and Forgiving with excellent Sound and Feel....And a beautiful 'Classic' look as well, (gloss black)...:love:

Those of you familiar with great TM Drivers of the past will find the SLDR-C very reminiscent of the R580XD-TP Tour Driver, but the SLDR-C has a larger sweet spot and much less spin!

Note that a 'speed slot' has replaced the slider mechanism just as with the M2 Driver. The 2015 SLDR-C driver also features a lower profile and a clubface that is wider from heel-to-toe than that of the original SLDR Drivers from 2013-2014.

(Helpful Hint: There is no need to 'loft up' with the latest, (and best), SLDR Driver from TM)

Attachments

• sldrcFACE.jpg
    sldrcFACE.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 0
  • sldrcCrown2.jpg
    sldrcCrown2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
relentless lol

Callaway XR16

Budget golf has a great deal on "shop worn" Wilson Tritons in nearly every loft and flex. With the THP discount it would be $85 For one of the best drivers I've hit this year.

https://www.budgetgolf.com/wilson-staff-triton-driver-shop-worn.html

You could take it to a pro shop and have them dial it in for you as it is supremely customizable. $85 For that driver is an insane deal IMO

Here you go!...Very affordable, available brand new, and as good as it gets with a properly fitted shaft!

View attachment 29575

This Driver Has it All: Long, Accurate, and Forgiving with excellent Sound and Feel....And a beautiful 'Classic' look as well, (gloss black)...:love:

Note that a 'speed slot' has replaced the slider mechanism just as with the M2 Driver!

(Helpful Hint: There is no need to 'loft up' with the latest, and easily the best SLDR Driver from TM)

Just click the link below! (In addition to the 9.5* loft, lofts of 10.5* and 12* are also available along with a choice of shaft flex, but only if you hurry!)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Taylor...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Everyone likes something and everything works for someone ... even so [edit because my original language reads more d*ckish than intended] this isn't something I'd recommend - I think there are better options out there.

The truth is that without a fitting it's a guessing game. Look at the F7. It is extremely forgiving and highly adjustable for loft, trajectory and shot shape, plus has numerous stock shaft options. All of that combines to give you a really good chance of having success with it.

Last edited:

Attachments

• SLDR-C Driver.jpg
    SLDR-C Driver.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
  • HeadcoverLarge.jpg
    HeadcoverLarge.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
  • SLDRCCrownLarge.jpg
    SLDRCCrownLarge.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Everyone likes something and everything works for someone ...

That's true...But posting uninformed or and/or misleading information doesn't cut it!

Unless you have had actual experience with this driver, you simply can't know!

Did you ever own the SLDR-C driver yourself? Have YOU ever even hit this driver with proper specs?

I think not!...and that equals clueless!..:D

Last edited:
Believe it or not, the GX7 works for me.
Don't have to tee up high.
Don't have to play ball too forward in stance.
Works with a regular golf swing instead of a special driver swing.

Especially with the driver, the shaft is more than 50% of the equation. For your personal swing there is a shaft that works best and the chances that it is an off the rack shaft are somewhere between slim and none. Ergo the recommendation by a couple of posters to get fitted.

That's true...But posting uninformed judgements doesn't cut it! Without having some experience, you simply don't know!

Have YOU ever even hit the driver I suggested???

I think not!...and that equals clueless!..:D

Here is a review thread from 2 years ago:
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...river-Fairway-Woods-and-Rescue-Hybrids/page29

To the OP: if you like the C driver, wonderful and good for you for finding a new club that works for you. Sincerely. In the meantime I stand by my suggestion of first looking at the Cobra F7 for the reasons mentioned above.

Last edited:
Some very questionable suggestions in here.

As others have said, if you can, go hit the drivers and see some numbers. A lot of inexpensive options out there that are great.

But yeah, can’t stress enough that I can’t recommend the SLDR. Had it - unforgiving on misses (even if it is fine on well struck balls)

A lesson, a good fitting first. Fusion can be had cheap along with XR16. Cobra makes some really good offerings that won't break the bank and were running a sale that if you bought a driver you got a free fairway or hybrid. Not sure if this applies anymore but hope it helps.

Pretty sure we can keep it civil fellas. No need to drag one another through the mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some very questionable suggestions in here.

As others have said, if you can, go hit the drivers and see some numbers. A lot of inexpensive options out there that are great.

But yeah, can’t stress enough that I can’t recommend the SLDR. Had it - unforgiving on misses (even if it is fine on well struck balls)

For anyone else who is as confused on the various SLDR models as this guy, please realize that the 2015 SLDR-C Driver is a completely different clubhead than the original 'unforgiving' SLDR Drivers from 2013/2014, (i.e. the original charcoal grey 460/430 and the Silver 'S' model).

Unlike those original models, the SLDR-C offers substantial forgiveness in addition to a reduced spin rate.

Last edited:
You don't seem to realize that the SLDR-C Driver is a completely different, (redesigned-for-2015), clubhead than the original SLDR Drivers from 2013/2014.

To the contrary - hit both, owned both. I understand it worked for you but I would not recommend it to anyone based on my experience. We get it - you like it and there are plenty to buy online.

OP - good luck with your search. Lots of great options can be had for reasonable prices.

Here you go!...Very affordable, available brand new, and as good as it gets with a properly fitted shaft!

View attachment 29575

Those of you familiar with great TM Drivers of the past will find the SLDR-C very reminiscent of the R580XD-TP Tour Driver but the SLDR-C has a bigger sweet spot and far less spin!

Note that a 'speed slot' has replaced the slider mechanism just as with the M2 Driver!

(Helpful Hint: There is no need to 'loft up' with the latest, and easily the best SLDR Driver from TM)

Just click the link below! (In addition to the 9.5* loft, lofts of 10.5* and 12* are also available along with a choice of shaft flex, but only if you hurry!)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Taylor...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I suspect it is your ad, but regardless, I doubt that a low spin SLDR is the cup of tea for someone with drives going 150-200.

Back