2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blu, I've got 3 weeks until my weigh in and about 11 pounds to go, and I haven't been losing 4 lbs a week doing what I'm doing, so wanted some input on how I can change things this last 3 weeks to hit my goal. 1 thought was to add Thursday as a HIIT day, but wasn't sure if that would simply overwork my body and send it into survival mode and not actually drop weight?

For my diet, I've been in the 1500-1700 range and eating a lot of grilled boneless skinless chicken, is that a good food or should I look at something else, and should I be in a different calorie range for weight loss?
Add the HIIT on Thursday. Stick to your caloric intake. Mostly proteins. Limit almost everything else. Also, this is going to sound counterintuitive to everything you have ever heard. Skip breakfast. Small lunch. Very small. Like 300 calories. Then make up the rest at dinner, after your training. I know this sounds like it's against everything you've heard, and it is. But it will cut weight quickly. It is not a sustainable model. Learn to be hungry, your body won't go into starvation mode. Water and black coffee will be your friend.

Add the HIIT on Thursday. Stick to your caloric intake. Mostly proteins. Limit almost everything else. Also, this is going to sound counterintuitive to everything you have ever heard. Skip breakfast. Small lunch. Very small. Like 300 calories. Then make up the rest at dinner, after your training. I know this sounds like it's against everything you've heard, and it is. But it will cut weight quickly. It is not a sustainable model. Learn to be hungry, your body won't go into starvation mode. Water and black coffee will be your friend.
You say black coffee will be my friend; I don't drink coffee, are you saying I should start or if I drink coffee it needs to be black?

Are you saying I should have a 300 calorie lunch and a 1200+ calorie dinner, or just eat until I'm full for dinner?

Blu is right. Intermittent fasting is a good way to go to drop some quick pounds.

You say black coffee will be my friend; I don't drink coffee, are you saying I should start or if I drink coffee it needs to be black?

Are you saying I should have a 300 calorie lunch and a 1200+ calorie dinner, or just eat until I'm full for dinner?

If you don't drink coffee, don't start. It's just a good way to get a quick pick me up if you're dragging from being off of your normal eating structure. In that case, water will be your friend. Don't worry about water weight. That can be cut pretty quickly. Daily caloric intake will be 1700, this will not be a long term intake, just until your weight in. You are going to have to get by on not a lot of food. It is going to be a challenge. But it will work. Once your weight-in is over, then we can reevaluate your caloric intake.

If you don't drink coffee, don't start. It's just a good way to get a quick pick me up if you're dragging from being off of your normal eating structure. In that case, water will be your friend. Don't worry about water weight. That can be cut pretty quickly. Daily caloric intake will be 1700, this will not be a long term intake, just until your weight in. You are going to have to get by on not a lot of food. It is going to be a challenge. But it will work. Once your weight-in is over, then we can reevaluate your caloric intake.

I'm just saying 1700 without breakfast and a 300 calorie lunch seems like a huge dinner. I typically have 600-800 calorie dinners, so do I need to bump that up to 1400 to keep my body functioning, or keep my dinners about the same and run on 1100 calories for the day?

I'm just saying 1700 without breakfast and a 300 calorie lunch seems like a huge dinner. I typically have 600-800 calorie dinners, so do I need to bump that up to 1400 to keep my body functioning, or keep my dinners about the same and run on 1100 calories for the day?

If you limit during the day and only eat after you train, you're going to be hungry. Very hungry. I don't think you will have a problem eating 1200 calorie dinners. That's two McDoubles and a glass of milk. Please, don't eat McDoubles right now. Remember, a tall glass of whole milk at dinner will add calories real quick. 1100 calories is VERY low. You may be able to get by on that for a few weeks. If you stick to the 1700 calories, make sure to do HIIT twice a week and your weights three times a week. Make sure your HIIT is mostly sprints. Not long distance cardio.

I am going to be completely honest here, 11 pounds in three weeks is pretty easy. Let me know when you're one week out. We are going to limit your water.

Do you drink wine?

If you limit during the day and only eat after you train, you're going to be hungry. Very hungry. I don't think you will have a problem eating 1200 calorie dinners. That's two McDoubles and a glass of milk. Please, don't eat McDoubles right now. Remember, a tall glass of whole milk at dinner will add calories real quick. 1100 calories is VERY low. You may be able to get by on that for a few weeks. If you stick to the 1700 calories, make sure to do HIIT twice a week and your weights three times a week. Make sure your HIIT is mostly sprints. Not long distance cardio.

I am going to be completely honest here, 11 pounds in three weeks is pretty easy. Let me know when you're one week out. We are going to limit your water.

Do you drink wine?

I won't be eating any preprocessed foods for the next three weeks, and don't eat them much anyway. I drink water almost exclusively other than whole milk on my cereal. Do you want me to start drinking whole milk and wine?

Getting my weights and HIIT in wont be an issue.

So happy that the house I just bought is on a pretty steep road. Instant cardio. #hillsprints4jesus May even get a Prowler now.

Did a 10 minute mile on the elliptical

Bench 5x5
Squat 5x5
OH Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

Finished it off with another 10 minute mile on the elliptical before leaving. Starting really light just to get back into the swing of things.

I won't be eating any preprocessed foods for the next three weeks, and don't eat them much anyway. I drink water almost exclusively other than whole milk on my cereal. Do you want me to start drinking whole milk and wine?

Getting my weights and HIIT in wont be an issue.

For some calories bumping, whole milk is great for padding those low calorie meals. Lots of protein and calcium, it's great. But don't over do the whole milk. A glass with you're 800 calorie dinners will put you on your ideal intake. Almost on the button! That's the plan.

Don't start drinking wine yet. Drink your water normally for the next 11 days. Once you're 10 days out from your weight in, limit your water, only as much as you need to not be thirsty. Have one glass of red wine a night, Merlot or Cabernet. Red wine is a diuretic and will help cut the water weight.

Did a 10 minute mile on the elliptical

Bench 5x5
Squat 5x5
OH Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

Finished it off with another 10 minute mile on the elliptical before leaving. Starting really light just to get back into the swing of things.

Somebody's running stronglifts...

Somebody's running stronglifts...

It's my go-to. Without it, I'm pretty lost in the weight room. Bench wasn't supposed to be apart of this one, but I want to get better at it every time I work out so I added it in. It's always been a weakness for me.

It's my go-to. Without it, I'm pretty lost in the weight room. Bench wasn't supposed to be apart of this one, but I want to get better at it every time I work out so I added it in. It's always been a weakness for me.
I like that program. Look into the Starting Strength app. I like it because Starting Strength a little bit better. I like the inclusion of power cleans versus bent over rows.

I like that program. Look into the Starting Strength app. I like it because Starting Strength a little bit better. I like the inclusion of power cleans versus bent over rows.

Man, haven't done power cleans since high school. I'll check it out for sure.

Man, haven't done power cleans since high school. I'll check it out for sure.
Biggest differences is SL is 5x5. SS is 3x5. The form is also more emphasized in SS.

I'll second the SS app. First app I ever paid for and glad I did. Love the videos and integrated reading about each workout. Has been very helpful for me to get proper form. Also, with a warmup calculator now, its got everything I could need, aside from including pull downs as an option for tracking, but I saw that feedback posted on the website so maybe that will come later.

First congrats on your pb Joe!! I marked that video in case I need a form reminder haha. Neb keep it going dude, you've totally got this! You can make that weight, I've got faith in ya. Keep it going everyone else as well!

Hey guys, trying to get back into it, any recommendations for a 3 day lifting program? Between working on my feet, trying to get back into golf and a meh lower back I am looking for a way to get back into lifting without killing myself.

Checked out the starting strength app. Looks great but I'm going to wait for a few updates before I buy. After reading the reviews there seems to be some basic stuff missing in regards to tracking that the Jefit app I'm using provides. The info in the ss app seems awesome tho, I know it's new so hopefully they'll continue to update it

Hey guys, trying to get back into it, any recommendations for a 3 day lifting program? Between working on my feet, trying to get back into golf and a meh lower back I am looking for a way to get back into lifting without killing myself.
I am a firm believer and supporter of Starting Strength it isn't an exercise program. It isn't a weight loss program. It's a 'get you strong as bull' program.

www.startingstrength.com

Noticed a few things while lifting tonight that I think are fine but I want to make sure. I've mentioned it before but I'm almost 6' 3" and have very long limbs. I noticed a few times that when trying to go lower on both my bench and squats, things got very uncomfortable. It wasn't too heavy, things just felt like they were getting pressed in the wrong way. I was trying to work my chest more by lowering the bar down to almost touch my chest, when I went that low it didn't feel good. I took all the weight off and just used the bar to figure out what was up. I noticed when the bar is almost at my chest, my arms aren't parallel with the floor. With my long arms they are bent backwards below the bench. So is it fine that I just don't go as low and stay parallel to be comfortable?

Also along the same lines, when squatting Ive been trying to go lower to not half rep but even without weight, trying to get myself into that textbook position just does not feel good at all. Like I said this is without weight so it's not too heavy. Am I doing something wrong or is it ok to adjust a bit based on my dimensions haha. I still can get low just not to where some of these pictures show.

Noticed a few things while lifting tonight that I think are fine but I want to make sure. I've mentioned it before but I'm almost 6' 3" and have very long limbs. I noticed a few times that when trying to go lower on both my bench and squats, things got very uncomfortable. It wasn't too heavy, things just felt like they were getting pressed in the wrong way. I was trying to work my chest more by lowering the bar down to almost touch my chest, when I went that low it didn't feel good. I took all the weight off and just used the bar to figure out what was up. I noticed when the bar is almost at my chest, my arms aren't parallel with the floor. With my long arms they are bent backwards below the bench. So is it fine that I just don't go as low and stay parallel to be comfortable?

Also along the same lines, when squatting Ive been trying to go lower to not half rep but even without weight, trying to get myself into that textbook position just does not feel good at all. Like I said this is without weight so it's not too heavy. Am I doing something wrong or is it ok to adjust a bit based on my dimensions haha. I still can get low just not to where some of these pictures show.

Where is the pain and when in the movement is it occurring. Be as specific as possible.

It's ok for your humerus to go past parallel. Touch your chest. Where are your hands on the bar? What part of your chest are you trying to touch to?

Something is up with your squat stance, that's my gut feeling. I need to see it.

Where is the pain and when in the movement is it occurring. Be as specific as possible.

It's ok for your humerus to go past parallel. Touch your chest. Where are your hands on the bar? What part of your chest are you trying to touch to?

Something is up with your squat stance, that's my gut feeling. I need to see it.
The pain is like in my shoulders and only when I get passed that parallel mark. It kinda hurts even with just the bar. I was doing my reps fine with no pain but past that point is no bueno. My grip is pretty wide, I try to grip it where my forearms are straight up if that makes sense. Not pointed towards the center or pointing outwards, just straight up and down. Maybe I'm positioning the bench wrong? Where should the bar be when I start, right above my eyes?
Im touching the bar to my nips pretty much

My squats I'm a touch wider than shoulder width but barely and I turn my feet outwards just a touch. Is that wrong? I try to keep my knees from collapsing inwards. My posture feels good and my back isn't curving or anything. If I stand up right now and squat to get my thighs parallel it feels awful lol like my long legs aren't supposed to bend like that. I'm actually pretty damn flexible too so it's weird. It's not like I'm at a 45 or half way I'm passed that, just not parallel. Am I over thinking this or something?

The pain is like in my shoulders and only when I get passed that parallel mark. It kinda hurts even with just the bar. I was doing my reps fine with no pain but past that point is no bueno. My grip is pretty wide, I try to grip it where my forearms are straight up if that makes sense. Not pointed towards the center or pointing outwards, just straight up and down. Maybe I'm positioning the bench wrong? Where should the bar be when I start, right above my eyes?
Im touching the bar to my nips pretty much

My squats I'm a touch wider than shoulder width but barely and I turn my feet outwards just a touch. Is that wrong? I try to keep my knees from collapsing inwards. My posture feels good and my back isn't curving or anything. If I stand up right now and squat to get my thighs parallel it feels awful lol like my long legs aren't supposed to bend like that. I'm actually pretty damn flexible too so it's weird. It's not like I'm at a 45 or half way I'm passed that, just not parallel. Am I over thinking this or something?
Your impinging your shoulders, this is bad. Forearms should be vertical at the bottom. Where on your chest are you touching the bar?

Your eyes should be just in front of the bar in the rack.

Get under the bar and take your grip. Get a good lower back arch by putting your feet flat on the floor and tucked as far back as you can get them while keeping them flat. Pinch your shoulder blades together and down and keep them there the ENTIRE set. This is called "locking your shoulders".

Where does it hurt when squatting? Narrow your squat stance to armpit width and flare toes slightly. Where do you look when squatting?

Take videos of the squat. I need to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back