Installing grips -- strange problem

DejaGolf

Reaction score
Handicap
I've installed dozens of grips. I'm not a pro.

The shaft:
Apex Edge regular flex graphite shafts (on Hogan 2002 Apex Edge irons). From all I can research, these shafts are .600. Note that the top 3 or 4 inches of shaft is different than the rest. It is not shiny, but matte. Hard to get the original grip tape off. There is no seam where this different section connects to the shiny portion of the shaft. It is smooth.

The grips:
I'm trying to install Lamkin Crossline .600 midsize. I'm using Dynacraft tape 10" and mineral spirits, I also tried lighter fluid. I shake the grip with fluid, drizzle it over grip with tape, spread it out with my hand, pinch the end of the grip and on we go.

I get them on about 6 inches, then it's like glue. It is like the tape turns sticky, or the grip narrows near the bottom 1/3.

Tried everything.

The only way I can get them on is to wait until the next day, shove the coat hanger down, feed in the mineral spirits, twist and turn until the grip moves, the push and strain until the grip is totally on.

How on earth do I install these grips? Are they too large? Is my equipment off for some reason? Any ideas or info?

Sorry if this is a deja vu question.

This issue sounds really bizarre. I tried to look up the shaft as well and everything I am seeing is .600. The only time I have ever had a tough time installing a grip was putting a .600 grip on a .650 butt shaft. Maybe try to add air to the intallation process in addition to what you are already doing. Blowing some air in the butt cap will certainly help to slide it on easier.

Yeah, probably...but I don't have compressed air.

moooooooore fluid, soak the tape first

Another vote for more solvent. Any time I have ever had to fight a grip it is because I was being stingy with the solvent.

You can never have too much lube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure it’s good solvent too, I’ve had this same problem with the earth friendly odorless stuff, just doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the absence of air for a little help, try adding a drop of dishwashing soap on your finger. Rub down the tape where you know it starts getting difficult and also whatever is left on the inside of the grip at the opening. Apply solvent as you normally would.....as has been said, use more if necessary. Then install.

The soap (don't use too much) should help act as a lubricant in those stubborn spots and the solvent will ultimately do what it does and bond the grip to the tape as it evaporates.

Good luck and post up your results.

JM

So more solvent wasn't the problem. It has to be the tape. Instead, however, along the way I've been convinced to try air. It would be a huge relief to get rid of the solvent, the drip pan, the clean up, not to mention the odor (even odorless has an odor, but it is less, so I guess they aren't lying).

I think I'll buy a 120v inflator, like the B&D Air Station or Goodyear and others like it. Cost about $50. I will let you know how that turns out. Thanks for all your help.

You said you “pinch” the end of the grip, but do you cover the vent hole on the grip cap? Keeping it covered the entire time you install the grip keeps air pressure between the grip and shaft and makes installing the grip 10x easier.

Back