Controlling full swing distance with swing speed?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I normally don't try to do this with the long irons (5 - 7) however, and especially with my wedges, I will control distance with swing speed. Let me say right up front that I am not a long hitter - age is 69 and I've only been playing for a little over 2 years, plus I'm 5' 6" and don't have a fast swing speed at all.

For example, with my Apex CF16 pw, I can play it from 70 - 100 yards by adjusting my swing speed. Not sure if I should be using a different wedge (loft) to control distance, but I find it much easier to adjust the swing speed. The Apex CF16 pw is 45 degrees and my next lofted club is a Ping Glide 2.0 at 50 degrees and I there is some overlap with these two clubs. I can hit the Ping 50 anywhere from 50 - 75.

I also find that I am much more effective with higher lofted clubs than those without. I'm sure this is a matter of playing experience and my distances will increase as I become a better ball striker with the longer irons.

Just wondering if this is normal to control distance with a full swing by changing your swing speed for other golfers in my demographics?

What I think you are doing is slowing down a full swing????

If so this is a very difficult thing for most golfers to do. Slowing down or speeding up a full swing can lead to all kinds of timing issues. When i want less from my full SW I take the club back to my 3/4 spot and then fire away at my normal tempo and force. instead of a Full swing SW of 95 yards it goes 75. All else with my swing is as identical as a swing can be. If you can truly stay consistent with changes is swing speed then continue on, but for most that is a difficult task.

The one caveat to using swing speed is that at a lower swing speed you will see less spin. Using a properly lofted iron and swing speed for the distance will give you more spin and better shot control.

I've never been able to control the spin that much with an iron, but recently, I've been able to control spin on approach shots by adjusting the swing speed.

My experience tells me that there are two ways to play a lofted iron - one with little back spin and one with much more back spin.

First, you can sweep it with an early release that will make the ball continue rolling after landing on the green. Very little back spin.

The second way is to come at the ball with a little more swing speed and contact the ball with the bottom face of the club and continue through the swing so that the ball travels up the face of the club. This seems to add more spin to the approach shot. I find that the ball will travel very little after landing.

In my particular situation, I find it easier to add spin than it is to avoid any spin and play a "hit and run" shot.

It's not something I'd recommend or something I'd be able to do consistently. For a basic straight forward shot, I'm trying to control distance to my landing spot with the length of my backswing. If you think about it, changing swing length does change the swing speed, but I'm not thinking of speed while I play the shot. If deliberately changing speed is working well for you though, that's all that matters.

Last edited:
I do both with wedges sort of. I will make partial wedge swings at home in front of a swing speed radar. I don't make a 100% backswing on the shots but am decent at picking a mph I am trying to swing. It isn't a perfect way as I am not hitting a ball and seeing the trajectory but it is a decent way to get some at home practice time in the middle of the night when I have no other options.

I can't control distance with swing speed myself. I control it more with choking up and length of swing. Ball placement also makes a difference for me as well. But I feel as if this type of thing is really personalized for everyone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'll just take shorter swings and make sure to accelerate through the ball. I'm a pretty decent wedge player and control them as good as much better players (overall anyway) especially long high flop shots.
I realized today giving up the yardage I do, my short game has to be working and needs a lot of tightening to get my Capp down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll just take shorter swings and make sure to accelerate through the ball. I'm a pretty decent wedge player and control them as good as much better players (overall anyway) especially long high flop shots.
I realized today giving up the yardage I do, my short game has to be working and needs a lot of tightening to get my Capp down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boy can I relate to that. My short game has to be working or I'm in trouble. Drives and long irons just don't give me enough distance even when hit flush.

Back