I'm more short than long, but I've flown & bounced off of a number of greens lately. It's an issue, because a lot of greens around here are far more penal when going long rather than being short.

I'm 50/50 now.. Either right on or 10 yards short or long. Learning a new swing and not playing golf on a regular basis is playing havoc on my distances. No solution or excuse besides I can only do my best when playing

Unless I catch it fat from 100y, I'm usually within a reasonable distance to the pin. My miss is more left/right lately. I have a laser rangefinder and have my wedge distance dialed in pretty good at the moment. Of note though, my approach shots have been in the 140-170 range lately so I haven't had a large sample size from the 100yd marker.

How short are they?

I'm short more often that I am long, but I see more greens that slope toward me than away. Unless I forget that I'm planning on only making a 3/4 swing and make a full swing instead; then it's just me being a dope.

I have good distance control now after practice. I want to be short most of the time due to NJ greens.

While I feel good about my inside 100 game, I certainly miss short of the flag more than long. At my home course, almost all greens slope back to front, and there are only 3 greens where missing the green long could be better than short, and on two of those it's completely dependent on the pin location.

All that said, the point is important - consistently missing short is a flaw in one's game, and we should all be willing to use more of the course - missing long isn't always bad. Golf is a game that seems to train staying short of the hole. Part of it is design - holes "end" at the green, so playing long of the green isn't natural for most. Plus, many holes are like mine - much more trouble long than short.

I tend to be long. Exceptions are when there is trouble behind the green. Then I am usually picking a club that if swung perfectly will get me the yardage I need....and of course I don't often swing perfectly....and then end up short.......

I do it a few times a round however mine come mostly from hitting a fat shot as opposed to poor club selection. Sure there are times when not enough club is selected but the chunky monkey seems to be the factor for me. On another note I noticed quite a few pros on both the PGA & LPGA yesterday short on their approach shots. Especially LPGA star Ko on the 18th hole and again on her playoff the approach was way short and to the right. She won the tournament but it's funny how both approach shots on 18 came up short. :bulgy-eyes:

depends on what your definition in this case means long or short. Is short off the green and in front, and long is off the green behind it? Or is it, you're trying to get it pin high and you end 15 feet short on the green and vice versa for long?

I'd say if this definition means off the green, I'm rarely off the green and long from 100 and in, but I do come up short of the green a decent amount on front pin positions or if I don't catch my shot correctly.

If the definition is short or long, but still on the green, I'd say I'm 50/50 towards either side.

For me, the only time I am usually long is if I try I hit it too hard or catch it thin. From that distance I am usually doing everything I can to get it below the hole or just as close as I can in general

I'm rarely long on approaches from 100 and in. The only 'excuse' I can come up with is that long/behind the green usually doesn't look fun to try and recover from.

~Rock

I take a club based on whether it's better to be long or short though....usually aiming for a specific area. But from 100 yards, I'm usually pretty close to where I want to be. I'm certainly always thinking about where it's better to miss though.

How many of you are long on your approaches shots from inside 100 yards? I ask because I played with my Dad and his crew and they were always way short. I asked them, after the round, why they take yardages when they are short. Each one had a different excuse, non of which made sense.

So I wonder, how many of you are ever long on your approach.
Followup question - when you say short, do you mean just short of the pin, or short of the green? Anything short vs. long (ie, 10 ft long is long)? Just curious what you're looking for here for discussion.

Like this thread btw.

Followup question - when you say short, do you mean just short of the pin, or short of the green? Anything short vs. long (ie, 10 ft long is long)? Just curious what you're looking for here for discussion.

Like this thread btw.
Short of the green or short of the hole. I see a lot of missed greens short l, rarely long. I see a lot of 1/2 club short shots.

Short of the green or short of the hole. I see a lot of missed greens short l, rarely long. I see a lot of 1/2 club short shots.

In your "good player" opinion, is it better to miss long on these sort of shots? Never up, never in sort of idea?

I think I am 50/50 on long and short, it depends on where the pin is and how the green is. But the main reason is I don't produce the same swing all the time.

I always miss the green short. On the course I play if you go behind the green, your ball may get lost.

A couple of them have a fence 15 foot behind the green, or there is a waste area full of rocks, snakes, brush, Sasquatch, etc.

Also, I'm short on some putts. It's aggravating to have a good looking putt that stops 6 inches from the hole, right on line.

I have a better chance of making that 6 inch putt, than coming back from 3 foot past the hole.

Jack

I would say i'm an even split short and long. I have improved greatly with shots between my sand wedge and gap wedge.

I'm almost always short because my home track dictates that; long is often dead where as I can get up and down from in front of the green. On other courses where there is trouble in front, I am much more apt to go long.

Under 100 but more than 50, I'm long more often than not. I hate partial wedge shots, so I go too hard after them to be sure I don't decelerate and duff it. Inside 50, I'm short more often than not since I don't want it to go long, and decelerate at impact and duff it.

I've been known to overshoot a pin from close distance. I've learned though that the disastrous miss for me is typically long so I try to err on the short side now.

that's partial wedge distance and I'm usually long, I'll land pin high but not with enough spin to stop it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since moving to the knock down from this distance, about 50/50 long and short...the miss for me is a pull if I rush things...

I assume you are talking outside of pitching and chipping range, as it isn't that uncommon that I am a little past the hole. But on say an 80 yard approach I would usually only be more than a couple yards long if I caught it thin.

I don't think there is right answer be cause there are other variables that come into play. But I know if I were always short, I'd start asking myself why. Am I not hitting hard enough? Do I know know how far my clubs travel with a certain swing? What would happen if I did fly the pin?

Personally, I try to error long if I have room behind the flag. I am always trying to control the distance and at least be pin high.
In your "good player" opinion, is it better to miss long on these sort of shots? Never up, never in sort of idea?

I sometimes have a weird feeling that missing long is bad and we don't want to do it. The thought "don't miss long" can creep in. I have no idea why I think that or where it came from.

Last edited:
Back