Have you ever seen someone pick up your ball or hitting it by thinking it was theirs

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
A month ago, my son and I were playing. He hit a nice shot to a short par 4, about 10 foot left of the green.

As we were driving up, two guys ( around 20 years old), pulled up and picked up my sons ball.

My son is 11, and he was shocked.

I told the guys " That is my sons ball". They acted like they didn't know what I was as talking about.

In a rough voice I had to tell them to put it back, and they did, hesitantly.

Let me know your stories, and how you handled it.

Thanks,
Jack

Scamble, I hit my ball in the dead damn center of the fairway. Watch the group ahead circle back and pick it right up, yelled and yelled from the tee box, caught on the next hole and they said it was theres lol. It was my wifes work so I wasnt going to make a big deal about it.

Spivey, Skibumgolfer and Chump Fries all need to post in here.

Happened to Spivey twice last week.

Yup. And he was on my hole. And he was wearing jeans and a tshirt.

I was driving up to my ball and a guy coming the other way beat me by a mile, jumped out, and just crushed the damn thing, nearly hitting it onto the green from like 240.
I got there and asked if he even looked at the ball, because there's another one right over there (about 20 feet away). Turns out he killed my ball so I asked if he could do that for me going my way. LOL

He dropped another ball, told me he'd return mine in a minute when he drove up there to get it, and then proceeded to line up his shot on his own ball....which he promptly chunked about 40 yards into the rough. I kind of chuckled inside but know he had to be furious after hitting such a good shot before, on the wrong ball!

Another time I watched some (probably high school) kids pick up my buddy's ball while he wasn't really paying attention. We caught up to them and I asked, 'what kind of ball are you guys hitting?' The answer was 'Q-Stars'. So I asked 'why, then, did you casually pick up a Bridgestone and toss it in your cart a minute ago?'

Dang kids.

I've had it happen on bad, bad shots into other FWs. People seem to think it's a freebie.
At least once, I'VE done it. Two holes parallel, running against each other. Both of us went right, both apparently playing Taylormades. I got there, looked, yep that's my ball and hit...and a cart pulls up from the other hole maybe 20 feet away on the other side of a mound. "Taylormade, but this isn't mine, is it? I had a blue dot". Sinking feeling followed. Same balls, same numbers, but I didn't see the dot. Confirmed when I got to the green and looked closely. Didn't see a dot as it lay.

No harm, no foul, quick laugh and moved on. Still felt like a dummy.

I've had it happen quite a few times actually. The worst encounter was with this guy wearing boots, jean shorts and a nascar shirt. I was by the green and he was looking for a ball he duffed 10yrds off the tee box. He was an absolute clown

I was playing in a tournament in high school when someone in my foursome hit my ball from the middle of the fairway. We were separated by about 20 yards after our 2nd shots. Once I got up to what was his golf ball, I pointed out that I think he played mine. After the hole, the guy commented, "you should mark your ball next time." I had 2 dots by the each of the brand marks. Sorry I didn't have lines everywhere.

Spivey, Skibumgolfer and Chump Fries all need to post in here.

Happened to Spivey twice last week.

Hahahaha. Frickin Chump Fries, man. Dude tries to jack my ball TWICE on the SAME HOLE (Torrey Pines South #18)!

$(KGrHqZ,!qQFHqBe7P53BS!lkz4E)w~~60_35.JPG

I was playing 9 last year at a links style course that I frequent. A lot of the holes run down and back and it's pretty open, so you don't get into too much trouble. I pushed my drive left and ended up in the adjacent fairway. As I'm walking over to my ball, a threesome on the adjacent hole are walking up to their drives. One of the guys picks up my ball, looks over at me and says "Bridgestone?". I responded "Yes, thank you". The guy decided it would be a good idea to throw my ball back to me. I asked him what he was doing and he said "oh, you wanted to play that?". I walked over, dropped my ball where it had been and hit a clean 6 iron back down my fairway.

In my Tuesday night league earlier in the year; I yanked my tee shot left into the adjacent hole where guys from my league are playing in the opposite direction. I drive up to where I expect my ball to be and its not there, but the other group was. "Did you guys see a Bridgestone out here?" "uhm…yeah, I just played it. I thought it was mine as I didn't think anyone in this league played Bridgestone balls."

Mine had a big darn shamrock on it, and his was in the rough nowhere near where he played my ball from. And I never got it back either.

I did this by accident to Scarnici when I was out there in June. We were both on the fringe, and I just lined up a putt and let it go. Walked over to where he was and then noticed I had hit his ball and not mine. Felt like a total dip for doing that. First and only time I've done it.

Its rare but I've had it done to mine and I also have done it to others. Most of this is simply accidental at least from when I have done it. One thing I have done which happens a a tad more often but still very rare is to accidentally play the ball of another member of my 4some.

There was one incident where I hit a beautiful drive on a par 5. All a sudden as we are leaving the tee box we see a cart come all the way back from way up and pick up my ball. We were like "What the heck" is going on. They pick up the ball and start heading away immediately and we all start yelling. So they then just toss the ball many yards further up from where it was. We never did actually catch them or figure out who it was. We think thye may have been on 18 which parallels 9. Anyway I was pissed because I didn't know exactly where to pace my ball as they just threw it many yards up from where it actually was. I mean at least turn back and try to place it in the general area and make a little effort. I can understand an accident in thinking it was thiers but then to just toss it. Real idiot not to make an effort at all. Pissed me off.

Hasn't happened to me but two weeks ago one if the guys I was playing with hit his drive into the trees on the right side of the hole which has a par 3 to the right if that as he is going to his ball the guy in the group in front if us picks it up looks at it then puts it in his pocket. When my buddy says something to him he responds I thought it was a lost ball, even thought here is a group on the par 3 who just teed off and our group coming up

Last week in a Seniors Open, I hit a high slice over the trees to the previous fairway, along comes my MAYOR and he played it, nice shot to the green, I made him put it back and go find his own.

one of the advanatges of using yellow balls (which I do often enough). Its rare this problem happens at all.

I've had the lawn mower run my ball over a couple times. Same outcome. I never go back to that course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hole 7 on the course I play at work is my nemesis hole. Its a long par 5 that doglegs right, from the tee box to the dogleg is pretty tight, water left, OB right and a big tree in the middle of the fairway. I hit the perfect drive down the left of the fairway that left me clear of the tree and a 7 iron second shot to lay up just short of a stream that crosses the fairway, hit it as well as I could and the ball landed just before the 100 yard marker on the fairway.

Hole one comes into play here, an old Malay had hooked his tee shot which probably landed in the tree line separating holes 1 and 7, he drove his buggy up straight to my ball and stood over it, I shouted he either ignored me, didn't hear or pretended he couldn't speak English and promptly hit my ball into the water short of the first green. My playing partner was in fits of laughter when he saw that happen.

Yes, have a guy at the neighborhood club who suffers from PTSD going back to 'nam. I generally avoid playing with him but occasionally I take one for the team. He is guaranteed to play your ball at least 3x a round. He just goes to where he thinks he should be and hits - never identifies it. When you bring it up to him he mumbles, probably something in Vietnamese, and throws the balls back to you. It's a real pleasure to play with this guy. And before I'm lambasted I did ROTC and 12 years in the Guard - I know not real service but at least I get a flag when they plant me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week, guy walking his dog in the course picked up my brand new ball. I took it out of the sleeve, hit it and he picked it up for me.

I didn't say a word since his dog was bigger than any of us!

Yes. Last week, in San Diego.

Yup. And he was on my hole. And he was wearing jeans and a tshirt.

Must have been the same clown that has picked up a few of mine over the years in MY fairway. Nothing pisses me more.

It my own group a few weeks ago out of a bunker. He holed out, I skilled it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

very similar experience to you as the guy that took the ball was about 40 and i could see it in his pocket. He refused to admit he picked it up. no fun!!! but i do have a fun one.....playing a round with my normal peeps and i was shooting pretty well. like hole 14 i go right of the fairway, and could not find my ball. 2 holes later one in the group hits his approach shot into the woods. he plays another. on the green i am confused for a moment as i have 2 balls on the green. wth? it becomes apparent my partner found my ball and kept it! i said what the heck are you doing? to which he explains he has been playing that ball the whole round! the hell you have i say, how many other callaway hex chrome plus balls with the initials AM stamped on them do you have, as I can show you almost a dozen in my bag! lol

Back